never going to be able to ride

just got back from checking out the DNR between around Carneige road in lawrence. I am not gonna say it was unrideable, but it was. I made it about 100' before I came to a halt. Tried going towards trenton and didn't even make it that far. If it was bare before it snowed, it would be rideable, but the 3-6" of frozen snow underneth today's snow just makes it non-fun tough.

You think it would be rideable on a mtb with studs? I'm thinking that is the same condition most trails will be in this weekend(fresh snow on top of frozen snow/ice).

You think it would be rideable on a mtb with studs? I'm thinking that is the same condition most trails will be in this weekend(fresh snow on top of frozen snow/ice).

It depends on how much snow was beneth todays, if it was only an inch or two, it would be ridable. Today's snow should stay fluff since it will be cold the next couple of days. My problem wasn't slipping, it was sinking and getting stuck in the frozen layer.

The road is still your best option to log miles. Dodging snow piles and ice patches makes it feel kinda like mountain biking and anything is better than riding the trainer and/or bitching on the internet about not being able to ride.

167899_1814801571765_1291834825_2174154_3889792_n.jpg

-Jim.

That's what I'm saying Jim. I gave up on mtbing and have been riding the road...nothing we can do but wait a few weeks till the snow melts. Trust me, I'd love to ride our beautiful NJ trails on my NEW SS but its just not happening.

Pretty sure Pearl's Jamis is still up for sale. That's a perfect bike for the road

I'm not worried about miles. I just want to have some fun.

Aint Happening

Hey folks I hate to even say this but the final nail in the coffin might be hammered in this coming Tuesday. Check the weather forecast. Calling for a major possibly snowstorm dumping over a foot of snow. Monday late night thru tues late night. I'm ready to move...:getsome:

anything is better than riding the trainer and/or bitching on the internet about not being able to ride.

I respectfully disagree sir. If it weren't for the internet I'd have to bitch to someone in person, and that's just too much work....

I miss riding in the woods too, but I did manage to get out on my cross bike today. It was fun with all the snow. I just stayed off the main roads.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Your full face helmet just threw itself off a cliff

LMFAO! Believe me, I'm dying inside. Upgraded my bike just before New Years with a new fork, cranks, seat... even a sweet new helmet. I am jonesing to ride trails as much as anyone here. Don't mind gearing up in sub freezing temps for a trail ride but f#$@ me if I'm gonna get on a road bike and ride in these conditions.

Don't think of riding anytime soon, Tuesday another big one, could be 12 inches or more, up to 20 in parts, depending upon the track the storm takes. Invest in either snowshoes or XC skiis. Search Google for "Extreme Snowshoeing", then come up to Wawayanda / Ringwood with your snowshoes and enjoy! Really tons of fun, very similar to mountain biking, jumping off of rocks but you get to land in soft snow! You don't even need to follow a trail, since you are above all of the brush.

I have yet to miss a weekend ride due to snow. They key is to look beyond the usual Ringwayandickersomuchy parks. The best places to ride when snow abounds are county parks in suburban areas. These parks get a lot of foot traffic that packs the snow down firm enough to ride. 4 good examples re:

Loantaka Brook Reservation (SE corner of Morris Township)
Patriot's Path (Morris County, starting in Morristown and heading out to Ralston)
Saddle River County Park (between Paramus and Ridgewood).
Randolph trail system (Randolph)

Parts of these parks are paved trails. These offer the best snow riding surface as they are nice and firm. I rode Loantaka the last two weekends...as an out-and-back it's about 10 miles total. Tack on a reverse of the northern trails and you get another 3 miles. I plan to go again Sunday. The trick is to leave enough time for foot traffic to pack it down. Usually, studs aren't necessary.

I have yet to miss a weekend ride due to snow. They key is to look beyond the usual Ringwayandickersomuchy parks. The best places to ride when snow abounds are county parks in suburban areas. T

Parts of these parks are paved trails.

I appreciate the idea, but isn't the other name for a paved trail a "road"? By this definition I've been mountain biking all over Asbury Park in the very worst of the snow ;)

I will be heading out on Sunday. I am going to need some leg gators that snow is getting deep. Stand by for pics :popcorn:

I appreciate the idea, but isn't the other name for a paved trail a "road"? By this definition I've been mountain biking all over Asbury Park in the very worst of the snow ;)

Not when it's covered with packed snow...doesn't matter whether it's dirt underneath or asphalt, as long as the top is snow :D Beats riding the road!

Here's a pic of said paved trail, from last Sunday:

IMG00026-20110115-1319.jpg

Don't think of riding anytime soon, Tuesday another big one, could be 12 inches or more, up to 20 in parts, depending upon the track the storm takes.

Really? Where are you getting this info? I haven't found this forcast you claim? If it is true, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to get my snowboard tuned up!

I wouldn't mind the idea of riding snow covered paved roads, but my only problem is that they are pretty flat. I'd love to get a little climbing in, although I know that it's enough of a workout just pedaling through all the snow. You have given me some thought to try and ride loantaka this weekend. Any recommendations on a starting point or route? I walk my dogs there once in a while staring from south street entrance and just following the paved path out for a mile or so and back. Just curious if you have any routes that are good. I'm getting board of the trainer and just really getting out of shape this winter. I'm motivated to get out at some point this weekend. Thanks for any input.

Back
Top Bottom