Need to fix broken alta...??

djm

First time poster here. Looking forward to learning and participating in some of the local rides as well.

Now onto my question. I busted my bike up pretty good in Allaire last month when I hit a high tree root at a high rate of speed. I bent the forks and put a 2 inch crack in the top of the headtube. What forks can I buy? And how do I fix the crack? JB Weld, bring it to a welder? etc. Right now I have a few stainless steel hose clamps holding it in place pretty good. I don't want to drop a lot of money to get another bike right now. My 11yr old mongoose alta works just fine for me at this point.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=64798&Type=bike

BiknBen

I bent the forks and put a 2 inch crack in the top of the head tube. What forks can I buy? And how do I fix the crack? JB Weld, bring it to a welder? etc. Right now I have a few stainless steel hose clamps holding it in place pretty good.

While I feel your pain, you've got a very serious problem with that bike. You can just hose clamp that puppy back to life. It is time to start looking for a replacement. The frame should be taken to a dumpster and you should go to eBay, Craigslist, etc.

While it may cost you some cash to replace...it is far cheaper than dentist's bills and facial surgery when those hose clamps fail.

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dude people should not ride bikes on ludes....
seriously check out craigslist I have been watching for a buddy at work and have seen rockhoppers and such for around 150 bucks...I don't think you would want to ride the goose with a crack in the frame..:(

Top Bottom