Need some help:iPods

Hello,

I have had an iPod Mini for about 2 years and have built a nice collection of music in my library. I recently got Ron an iPod and he, in his inimitable fashion, has already uploaded a library of music of which I have a bit of envy...

So I started to do some research about sharing libraries and I keep coming up with dead-ends. It seems that I cannot plug my iPod into his iTunes and get songs without completely over-writing all of the tracks currently on my iPod. Not a problem since I have my own iTunes, right? But what happens to the tracks I downloaded when I tried to reload all of my songs from my iTunes? The libraries would overwrite again, methinks...

I was thinking that using the iPod as an external hard drive could help me get around this; basically, download the songs I want to the hard drive, plug in to my iTunes, upload, and be all set. Any think this might work, anyone ever tried or have success with sharing iTunes libraries and tracks between iPods?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's all or nothing. Any new upload to your iPod will erase all your old stuff. If you set it up as a hard drive, it will just be data on a hard drive partition, not music you can listen to. You could put it on your hard drive, copy it to your computer, import it to your iTunes then download it the "proper" way.

At least this was the way it worked when I went through the same riff raff a few years ago.

It's all or nothing. Any new upload to your iPod will erase all your old stuff. If you set it up as a hard drive, it will just be data on a hard drive partition, not music you can listen to. You could put it on your hard drive, copy it to your computer, import it to your iTunes then download it the "proper" way.

At least this was the way it worked when I went through the same riff raff a few years ago.

Thanks, Norm. I figured I would have to go that route. I have a flash drive I can use to download the songs and then upload again.

I wonder what would happen if we networked our laptops and shared iTunes that way...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wonder what would happen if we networked our laptops and shared iTunes that way...

We've talked about buying an external drive as a share for this, but never got around to it. I don't know how 2 sessions of iTunes running against 1 shared directory would perform, or if it would work at all.

J-Dro

Go and download MediaMonkey. It's free and let's you sync your ipod without wiping out everything on there. You can pick and choose what to keep or delete. Awesome program. It's what iTunes should be instead of slow bloatware.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Shaggz

A strong 7
ipods are great. i love the versatility and compact size. i have one i'm thinking of selling - perfect for trainer rides.

lilbuj

Yes you can - pick and choose

You have to have your ipod set up so that you manually manage songs and playlists.

You can not transfer from Ipod to Ipod but you can transfer from any Library to any Ipod without wiping out your library.

Plug your Ipod into itunes and go to Ipod Options. Then under the ipod/music tab select -manually manage songs and playlists.

Now you can plug into anyones Itunes and load their music into your ipod, but you have to manually drag and drop what you want. You will have to keep it manual unless you want to loose anything that you don't have in your library.

You can also use your ipod as a harddrive and take the files from their Mymusic folder and bring them to your music folder.

I have always kept my Ipod in the Manual Mode. It is easy and safe that way. ;)

Last edited:

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
If you are each running iTunes on a different computer, share your library and there is opensource software available to copy music between your iTunes. I have 82GB of music and this is how I share with my fiance.

Top Bottom