Need recommendation: book about training for endurance cycling

wonderturtle

Preferably would cover diet as well as training. Also it would preferably address (or be focused on) athletes over 40 .

Any suggestions ?

Joe J

Depending on your level of training knowledge in general I would start with one of Joe Friel's training bibles & Hammer Nutrition's fueling handbook.

What do you consider endurance (not distance) I'm talking the time you expect it to take you to finish the races your planning?

A clean diet focused on real unprocessed food's, I personally limit carbs.

Being over 40 won't change the actual training you just might need slightly more recovery time between your hard workouts.

Try posting some other questions here or if you don't want to weed through the smart asses send out some PM's.

giff06

I agree with the Joe Friel books.Lots of resonably easy to understand traing info. I think diet and lifestyle are not thoroughly covered but its been a while since I referred to my Training Bible. I also like Training Past 50 by the same author. I think these are a great place to start.
Ed

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
IMG_20160216_084157090.jpg
Send me your address, I has all the books. I'll mail them to you.

wonderturtle

Ride more. Eat less.

thats what i've been doing but i figured I could use just a bit more assistance than that ;)

thanks for the suggestions - I'll check out that author.

not looking to radically change my lifestyle (no ambitions for greatness) but wouldnt mind reading a book on endurance training and incorporating elements (e.g., training and diet) that I think would benefit me. so, a book with "lots of reasonably easy to understand training info" sounds worthy of a look-see

The Kalmyk

Base training book is the best start imo.

I spend 80 percent of riding time in my base zone (HR monitor). I figured I'd be faster at 45 than I was at 35.

JoeF

I agree with the Joe Friel books.Lots of resonably easy to understand traing info. I think diet and lifestyle are not thoroughly covered but its been a while since I referred to my Training Bible. I also like Training Past 50 by the same author. I think these are a great place to start.
Ed
The Training Bible books have become a bit dated but I highly recommend his Training Past 50

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Harlan Price offers coaching and clinics...
Along with the nutrition and fitness, there is also the cognitive aspect of it all.

wonderturtle

Stop drinking alcohol. Stop eating sugar. Eat 4-6 (healthy) well balanced meals a day, stay hydrated, and ride your bike.
Your body will figure out the rest.
That was free.

"stop drinking alcohol" - simply not gonna happen. :)

but been doing everything else. as a result, I've lost almost 25 lbs over the last year or so. but I want to take it to the next level (a bit) nutritionally and training wise.

Mountain Bike Mike

"stop drinking alcohol" - simply not gonna happen. :)

but been doing everything else. as a result, I've lost almost 25 lbs over the last year or so. but I want to take it to the next level (a bit) nutritionally and training wise.

Alcohol - I used to think similarly until I realized it was counter productive and didn't like it as much as it was setting me back.

Congrats on the loss. Have you looked into a nutritionist? Some health benefit plans provide resources that can assist with nutrition.

@stb222 - what was that training article you saw in the magazine you mentioned a few weeks ago? Maybe throw it at @wonderturtle to let him chew on it.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i dont think a book about endurance training is going to help, just riding more consistently will keep helping. plus its fun.

the "next level" is a deep dark hole. if you arent willing to kick booze, i would stay away from the "next level".

can you ride an hour a day? how long can you ride on the weekends?

wonderturtle

i dont think a book about endurance training is going to help, just riding more consistently will keep helping. plus its fun.

the "next level" is a deep dark hole. if you arent willing to kick booze, i would stay away from the "next level".

can you ride an hour a day? how long can you ride on the weekends?

correction: I said I want to take it to the "next level (a bit)" - emphasis added. :)

I am not fooling myself that I am gonna go "all in" here. I intend to read the books and incorporate the nutritional and training suggestions that I can live with.

I have learned that little changes here and there can make big changes. for example, my recent weight loss I attribute to three things: (1) eating oatmeal in the morning (mix in various combos of berries, raisins, bananas, almonds, apples) - got that from the Skratch labs recipe book); (2) eating more frequent/ smaller meals; (3) nutri bullet (make various healthy "green" drinks - started with my "green" drinks after reading a recipe book about it). these are easy things that made a difference.

similarly, figure these books would have relatively "easy to digest" (pun) suggestions that I can incorporate into my life/ diet/ training. for example, my job/ family responsibilities will likely preclude me from sticking to a strict training program (e.g. cant just do a 5 hour ride on a Tuesday). but I am sure there will be ideas about how to mix in/ alternate longer rides, more intense rides, recovery, etc. that I can adapt to my schedule.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i dont think you need to do 5 hours on a tuesday. you are on the right path, just stick with it.

if you can ride everyday, easy or hard, whatever, and do some longer rides on the weekend, it will give you gainz

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i dont think you need to do 5 hours on a tuesday. you are on the right path, just stick with it.

if you can ride everyday, easy or hard, whatever, and do some longer rides on the weekend, it will give you gainz
You don't even need the longer rides on the weekend. Just ride every day and ride hard on at least half the days. Come back next year this time and we can talk books.

Top Bottom