Need help with tubeless / Tubeless 101

I was wondering about getting flats with tubeless tires on the trail.

I know you can just put in a regular tube to get you on your way, but if there's sealant inside the tubeless tire and you remove it, doesn't the liquid sealant make for a sticky, messy job of it?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was wondering about getting flats with tubeless tires on the trail.

I know you can just put in a regular tube to get you on your way, but if there's sealant inside the tubeless tire and you remove it, doesn't the liquid sealant make for a sticky, messy job of it?

You may look like this
b78554015z120090925145213000g1oh84bl1_lg.jpg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes it could get messy. But chances are that if you get a flat, the sealant either dried up, or there wasn't enough in there in the first place. So that would limit the mess.
But a tear/big puncture in the sidewall wont be sealed by anything and would result in a big mess.
Dont let it keep you from converting if you havent. Tubeless is the way to go. The benefits outweigh the negatives

brybry57

pump it up with a compressor and ride it around the drive way, if there is sealant in there it will most likely fix itself, you can also pump it up and just hold the bike up and pedal it, riding wirks better though because the tire will flex as it spins

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thats what Stans or cafe latex is made to do, make pretty much any rim and tire tubeless. but you need the rim tape and a valve. Go back and check mattys posts, he is the tubeless guru.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any tips on seating tires that are a lil big. I picked up a firepro xc something or other tire and I cant get the thing to seat up. I tryed putting a pumped up tube in it for a while to conform it, but that didnt work. Are some tires not useable or is there a trick to it. I used Stans for First attempt , but just ordered 2 bottles of the cafe. Hopefully better results

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any tips on seating tires that are a lil big. I picked up a firepro xc something or other tire and I cant get the thing to seat up. I tryed putting a pumped up tube in it for a while to conform it, but that didnt work. Are some tires not useable or is there a trick to it. I used Stans for First attempt , but just ordered 2 bottles of the cafe. Hopefully better results

Air compressor or floor pump?

kush

Has anyone put together a 'tubeless' system using a non-UST rim and tire? :hmmm:

Any success?

Great success with many varieties of non-UST tires. However, only on a UST rim. I wouldn't recommend non-UST rims for tubeless, I know people that had issues. You will need a compressor. It does not matter whether you use stans or caffee. In fact, the recommended procedure is to seal the bead before adding sealant. That way you're not wasting it. Usually, the trick that works is to get the bead soaked with soapy water + compressor, then add sealant. That should handle most anything. Some trial and error.

If you use both UST tires and UST rims, most of the time you can get away with a floor pump. Your mileage may vary.

Every bike I own is tubeless :D

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

If these are the non=ust tires I wouldn't bother, use the ust x/c pros. The non-ust's will peel off. (this is in 26 version of course). I had much sucsess with the 29er version non-ust from IRC...

steve336

If you put a big tear in the tread or sidewall that the sealant won't patch then you need to take the tire off and patch/boot the tire.

What do you patch/boot the inside of the tire with? same as a tube i assume.
I have a brand new front tire 3 rides that has a hole in the sidewall that didnt seal up from just the sealant.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What do you patch/boot the inside of the tire with? same as a tube i assume.
I have a brand new front tire 3 rides that has a hole in the sidewall that didnt seal up from just the sealant.

Put it in the books and know that you won't be buying this tire again. It also helps to reveal this money hog tire and your setup for future buyers. A side note that user error of to low PSI to be the culprit too...

steve336

Tire is a kenda nevegal 2.1 non ust. set up as tubeless on mavic crossmax sl ust rims.

Im not blaming the tire. psi was to low as you said. took a wicked shot on a log crossing. just curious ,if and what to use to patch it from the inside.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tire is a kenda nevegal 2.1 non ust. set up as tubeless on mavic crossmax sl ust rims.

Im not blaming the tire. psi was to low as you said. took a wicked shot on a log crossing. just curious ,if and what to use to patch it from the inside.

Personally I would not even attempt a patched tubeless tire especially on the front serious risk of failure and injury!

Top Bottom