Need help with tubeless / Tubeless 101

Do yourself a favor and buy an air compressor. Air compressors rule. Once you get one, you can get a bunch of cool tools that run on just compressed air like a framing nailer.

If most UST tires labeled "UST" don't reccomend sealant and I wanted to add it anyways, how much should I use? (this is for UST rims and tires)

Lets just say I don't want to invest in tubeless rim strips and all that just yet for $50 a set...

Think I can get away by putting stans in my inner tubes? How much do you think I should use?

If most UST tires labeled "UST" don't reccomend sealant and I wanted to add it anyways, how much should I use? (this is for UST rims and tires)

Lets just say I don't want to invest in tubeless rim strips and all that just yet for $50 a set...

Think I can get away by putting stans in my inner tubes? How much do you think I should use?

What brand of UST tires are you looking to use?

I've used Stans successfully with Hutchinsons, Continentals, & Maxxix UST tires. You WILL get pinholes in any tire including UST that need some liquid goo to seal. I use 2 scoops of Stan's for 26" tires.

Manny I let you on a little secret that's gaining a lot of success and cost is dirt cheap. Home Depot has Gorilla Tape in 1" width for about $2.50 and enough to do 2 sets of wheels. Also I think most folks run juice no matter what tires their running..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1ib5HdA5M

Manny I let you on a little secret that's gaining a lot of success and cost is dirt cheap. Home Depot has Gorilla Tape in 1" width for about $2.50 and enough to do 2 sets of wheels. Also I think most folks run juice no matter what tires their running..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1ib5HdA5M

Thinking about trying this on my stock Stumpjumper wheels. The rims are DT Swiss X430. I will probably get new tires because the sidewalls are starting to go on the stock Specialized tires. Should I get UST tires or is it better (and lighter) with non-UST?

Thinking about trying this on my stock Stumpjumper wheels. The rims are DT Swiss X430. I will probably get new tires because the sidewalls are starting to go on the stock Specialized tires. Should I get UST tires or is it better (and lighter) with non-UST?

There are certain tires that will just be a pill, no UST are not always the way, there have been enough guinea pigs to weed out what works. Do some searching and you will see. What has worked for me- WTB Nano, WWlt, and Stout. Stans Raven 2.2. Panracer Rampages and IRD Fire x/c Pro. Right now I just mounted up CST Comp and Critter without a lick of brew seep. Of course all are 29" wheels on either Flows or WTB laser Discs. Two tires that I would not recommend for the rocky North are the paper thin over priced Racing Ralphs and Conti Mt. king. I know others have had good luck with Conti's but not I. Both of these seeped for more then 24 Hrs before finally sealing, then very few rides before sidewalls failed. For what its worth these are just my own opinions. ;)

awesome thanks for the info!

There are certain tires that will just be a pill, no UST are not always the way, there have been enough guinea pigs to weed out what works. Do some searching and you will see. What has worked for me- WTB Nano, WWlt, and Stout. Stans Raven 2.2. Panracer Rampages and IRD Fire x/c Pro. Right now I just mounted up CST Comp and Critter without a lick of brew seep. Of course all are 29" wheels on either Flows or WTB laser Discs. Two tires that I would not recommend for the rocky North are the paper thin over priced Racing Ralphs and Conti Mt. king. I know others have had good luck with Conti's but not I. Both of these seeped for more then 24 Hrs before finally sealing, then very few rides before sidewalls failed. For what its worth these are just my own opinions. ;)

Air Comprressors

Don't know if anyone has seen this site: www.tubelesswheels.com. It's pretty much about using the 20" tube as the rim strip. But I like the Gorilla tape method. I've avoided getting into tubeless because all of my wheels are in pretty good shape, but I think I could use a new project for the winter, as well as the riding benefits of tubeless.:)

:confused: I have a question about Air Compressors for those of you who use them. I'd like to get one but don't know squat about them. I'd like to get a small one that would primarily be used for the tubeless tires and adding air to my van tires that seem to need frequent topping off. I wouldn't be using it to power other tools like bradmcnutt does.

I also need something small because of space limitations and financial considerations. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:confused: I have a question about Air Compressors for those of you who use them. I'd like to get one but don't know squat about them. I'd like to get a small one that would primarily be used for the tubeless tires and adding air to my van tires that seem to need frequent topping off. I wouldn't be using it to power other tools like bradmcnutt does.

I also need something small because of space limitations and financial considerations. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This thread might help: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12450

Check the big box home stores from time to time, and look up on the pallet rack top level (or wherever they store the compressor stock). They'll often have and odd-ball left from a prior sale, or a closed-box return, that the manager can 'deal' on price. I picked-up a 30 gallon upright a few years back for $149, including the air tool kit.

You may think you don't want/need the tools, but I've used them many times and they really saved time and frustration. Or sell the tools for whatever you get to further reduce your out-of pocket...

Tom P.

Thanks for the extra advice Tom, it's all very much appreciated when I'm learning something new!

I just remembered my sister knows someone who works at a Home Depot. I'll see if I can get him to keep an eye out for any sales, or good deals they may have.

Rosy

Head over to harbor freight. 2 in central nj are lawrenceville on Olden ave or woodbridge rt1 (2lights N of gsp). There's several others in nj.
They have all sizes of compressors & tools way cheaper than Home deficit or Blowes. Its all overseas stuff, usually from China anyway.

I use the basic one w/ cig lighter to even blow up car tires. Its reg $10 but on sale often w/ low of $5.

First Tubless Flat

I didnt see this question/answer and I just got my first tubeless flat yesterday. If its a repeat I apologize.

Basically, my rear tire went flat yesterday. The tire still appears to be seated. Can I just pump the tire back up? Or do I need to do anything else? i.e., take tire off to check for any thorm punctures, add sealant again (its been about a year), etc.

I've read some talk about tubeless tires "burping". Can a tubeless tire burp itself flat?

Thanks in advance.

you have to blast it with air and see where the air is coming out from. You could burp it flat, but you would probably see it happen.

I get tubeless flats all the time. Annoying but I usually just patch them from the inside.

I didnt see this question/answer and I just got my first tubeless flat yesterday. If its a repeat I apologize.

Basically, my rear tire went flat yesterday. The tire still appears to be seated. Can I just pump the tire back up? Or do I need to do anything else? i.e., take tire off to check for any thorm punctures, add sealant again (its been about a year), etc.

I've read some talk about tubeless tires "burping". Can a tubeless tire burp itself flat?

Thanks in advance.

If it has been a year since you put sealant in it is probably time to add some more. Do you hear any sloshing around in there?

If you have a flat and don't need to add sealant a lot of times you can just pump it back up. Thorns shouldn't make a tubeless tire go flat unless the sealant has dried up.

If you put a big tear in the tread or sidewall that the sealant won't patch then you need to take the tire off and patch/boot the tire.

"Burping" is when the tire bead is spread away from the rim bead hook, usually by a strong lateral force or a strong downward force, like a hard landing off of a jump. The tire momentarily deforms which allows air to escape (burp). After that initial force the tire goes back to normal shape and seals against the rim bead. Usually you lose say ten or fifteen psi with a burp (totally variable, what I am saying is that it is very uncommon to burp a tire totally flat. I've never seen it.). Just pump it back up.

Back
Top Bottom