Need help on a Front Hub Cap

Hey,

Never really paid attention to these, but now that I lost one I am trying to figure out how to replace it. I thought it would be a simple replacement - maybe it is - but I have been having trouble. This is for a

GT 15mm through axle, 32h

A lot of the ones I have seen on line are screw in, these don't screw in. Anyone have any ideas of what I can use to replace these?

thanks!

IMG_20200826_110624x.jpg
IMG_20200826_110628x.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
picture of hub, brand, model.

probably need to know spacing too, so type of fork

I don't have much info on the hub. Specs online just say it is a "GT HUB", I'll see if I still have the owner's manual somewhere:
WTB SX-24 rims are laced onto Shimano and GT 15mm through axle hubs for tough, smooth-rolling performance; Kenda Nevagal tires provide tenacious traction

This is fork info:
SR Mag 32 suspension fork. 120mm of air sprung travel with rebound damping adjustment; 15mm quick release front axle improves performance

Hub:
IMG_20200827_125744.jpg

Fork:
IMG_20200827_125829.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
So the hub just has a GT logo on it?

this might be a tough one! are the wheels 10 years old(ish)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Few measurements really help.

The distance from the bearing face portion of the inner part of the endcap to the outside of the outside of the endcap.
Inner diameter of the bearing and outer diameter of the bearing.

The total distance endcap to endcap should be 100mm, so if you only have one endcap you can subtract the current endcap and bearing-to-bearing width from 100mm.

Ok, really that's lots of dimensions. But get the dimensions required of the endcap and someone can look through their pile of endcaps and see if one fits your bike...

Patrick

Staff member
Someone may have a front wheel for you for cheap. easier than finding the end cap in a pile ;)

or maybe the hub sitting around on a wheel that ate it long ago....

Measuring the remaining cap made me realize I really need to get a caliper measuring tool to be accurate. Here is what I came up with

Internal distance between forks – 100mm ( as expected )
Hub cap width - 15mm
Hub cap external diameter – 19mm
Distance from bearing to outer hub cap – 5mm
Axle Diameter – 15mm
Hub bearing width - 70mm

Any more measurements needed?

Fire Lord Jim

Measuring the remaining cap made me realize I really need to get a caliper measuring tool to be accurate. Here is what I came up with

Internal distance between forks – 100mm ( as expected )
Hub cap width - 15mm
Hub cap external diameter – 19mm
Distance from bearing to outer hub cap – 5mm
Axle Diameter – 15mm
Hub bearing width - 70mm

Any more measurements needed?
15mm x 20.5mm or 15mm x 17mm is what I have.

Attachments

• 1598580436762126596590895983141.jpg
    1598580436762126596590895983141.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 15985805787042949212096924829060.jpg
    15985805787042949212096924829060.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Jim, but I am not sure either of those will work.

I went back to Allaire to look in the parking lot to see if I could find it. I had looked on Tuesday as well. Then I went to the post to see if anyone had placed it there. No luck. I have tried to contact GT. Their website doesn't have an email or anything. When you click on contact us, it just directs you to the the FAQ. I guess they are not interested in supporting customers... I tried a few local bike shops that the GT website claim as dealers. They both said they probably could get it, they don't carry much if any GT products as it is. This is my fifth and probably last GT.

jklett

Something doesn't add up with the measurements, where are you located? You may need to have one made, luckily I know a guy.

you are right. I had a typo in the external diameter. It is 29mm, not 19mm. Does that make the dimensions better? I am in Neptune City.

jklett

Were both caps interchangeable/identical? If so, if you have the dimensions for A, B, and C someone might have something that'll work. Don't measure the o-rings, measure the aluminum. Looking at the pictures it appears that the protrusion on the back fits into the inner race and the larger diameter is just to keep junk out of the bearing but not riding on anything.
15986598637903156498839171394500.jpg

Thank you for your response! ( that goes for everyone who has taken the time to help me )
They both are the same.

A = 19mm
B = 29mm
C = 13mm

The diameter of the internal circle as mentioned is 15mm. It looks like the inner protrusion you mention has a width and height of 2mm.

sundaydoug

I have a few spare Industry 9 front endcaps from my old non-boost wheelset. Not sure the measurements you need are exact, but if you grind it down it might work. Attached are pics, unfortunately I don't have a metric ruler or calipers at home, so I'm just eyeballing measurements. if you want just PM me your address and I'll send one to you...

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 79

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a Stan's end-cap part # E01 that may be exactly what you're looking for. 15mm bore. 19mm Outer diameter of the portion that hits the fork. 13mm width from fork to bearing.

On the drawing above:
A 12mm. Very minor protrusion, doesn't stick far into the bearing.
B 29mm
C 13mm
Inner bore - 15mm (hence 15mm through axle)

Only thing that may not work for you, is the OD of the part that looks like it would fit INSIDE the bearing is 17mm. You sure the Inner Diameter of your bearing is 19mm?

-Steve

Steve,

I measured again. It seems to be closest to 19mm ( maybe 18, but doesn't seem to be close to 17 no matter how I measure it ). Again, wish I had calipers to measure as it is hard to get a real accurate reading with my tape measure. Anyone have any suggestions on a better way to measure?

Not sure I follow your measurements. The diameter of the axle is 15mm, how can the A part be smaller at 12mm? What am I missing?

However, does it matter if that is is 19 vs 17? What would it be touching in there that would cause any issue?
Here is the bottom view ( not to scale ). The grey is the protrusion, white is the whole for the axle, black is the main piece.
hub bottom diagram.png

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Steve,

I measured again. It seems to be closest to 19mm ( maybe 18, but doesn't seem to be close to 17 no matter how I measure it ). Again, wish I had calipers to measure as it is hard to get a real accurate reading with my tape measure. Anyone have any suggestions on a better way to measure?

Not sure I follow your measurements. The diameter of the axle is 15mm, how can the A part be smaller at 12mm? What am I missing?

However, does it matter if that is is 19 vs 17? What would it be touching in there that would cause any issue?
Here is the bottom view ( not to scale ). The grey is the protrusion, white is the whole for the axle, black is the main piece.
View attachment 138301
Ugh, crap. I'm sure I mistyped on that 12mm. I'm pretty sure it was 17mm, hence my questioning about the bearing inner diameter.

I'm on my way up to New England. I can measure again when I get home... But I think that E01 cap should work.

Top Bottom