Need help on a Front Hub Cap

goldsbar

Are there any stock washers with the correct outer diameters? Drilling the center to 15mm would be possible. More washers or a piece of PVC in the middle? That would be my desperation plan if you can't find anything.

I thought I had a solution. Got the SRAM 15mm conversion caps. Wasn't sure if they would fit, the description only had the diameter. When I received them, and compared, I didn't think they would work as the sizes were off. Then I tested it on the bike to see, and it actually fit! It kept the wheel in place and ended up being the right total width of 100mm. However there was a pitfall, it wouldn't let the wheel spin... I consider that kind of a deal breaker. ;)

Original on the left. I could tell the external diameter was too large to fit in the hub.
comparison1.jpg

Even if it did fit, it was not the right height, so it would have been to short.
comparison2.jpg

However, not fitting in to the hub actually made up the difference. But alas, no spin.
comparison3.jpg

Maybe I can modify it somehow... Or do the pvc suggestion. Work in progress.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Looks like the inside shoulder of the original leans against the bearing, not the hub shell???

Someone must have a 10 y/o wheel they can sell you for $40 -
Common people - help a rider out!

Finally got this fixed. A friend suggestion I go to Belmar Bike. I did, the guy said he wasn't sure, but he had boxes of old hub parts and that he would search through them between helping customers to see if any fit. I got a call saying he found one that would work. $10 later and I am back in business.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Finally got this fixed. A friend suggestion I go to Belmar Bike. I did, the guy said he wasn't sure, but he had boxes of old hub parts and that he would search through them between helping customers to see if any fit. I got a call saying he found one that would work. $10 later and I am back in business.

great ending! bring them some surprise snacks!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Nice!

Top Bottom