Need advice on roof rack

walter

Fourth Party
For me a roof mount was the way to go regardless of if I have a hitch or not...it does say though in my manual that the car is not recommended for towing, so there's no reason I would put a hitch on the car anyway...

You're not really towing. I would equate it more to putting 75 pounds of groceries in your trunk.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In the last 3 years our roof rack sales have dropped while the hitch mount racks are booming.

I use a Thule t2 on both my Subaru and My Tundra.

In my eyes there is no better way to move any style of bike around.

j-

I found these hitches... and the idea of a hitch mount is growing on me.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Honda_Civic.htm

Any Idea how difficult it is to install a hitch?

walter

Fourth Party
Most are made specifically for certain makes and models. Usually install with little or no drilling. I got mine at the local Uhaul and the kid installed it in about 15 minutes. If all you are using it for is a bike rack, its fairly easy. You dont have to worry about running wires for a trailer hookup.

The Kalmyk

I love the Thule t2 just because the bikes right there for the taken and there's no frame contact.....I also have an older Yakima roof rack i scooped from Kevin which has worked out wonderful....Thule or Yakima you can't go wrong

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

I installed a 1-1/4 receiver hitch on my Subaru outback. I parked with one side of the car up on a tall curb and went to town.

Installation required me to remove the dual exhaust. This was not hard since the car was a week old. This could be tough on an older car.

I send everyone who come in looking for a hitch to Allen's Auto on rte 27 in Kendall park , U-haul or 1-800- hitch-it.

I can't see ever going back to a roof rack. I do have a rack still and a cargo box but I haven't used it in a year.

j-

Wobbegong

I just installed a hitch on my truck last night, funny you should ask.

I have a chevy pickup. The job was easy. I did it without jacking or lifting the truck. It required removing the rear bumper and bumper mounts that attach to the frame. The hitch mounts to the frame sandwiched between the frame and bumber mounts. No drilling or cutting and done in 1 hour. My bike rack (Thule T2) is now attached, yeahhh!

If you do it, make sure you get a custom hitch for your vehicle, not one of the generic adjustable ones. I got mine from e-trailer, good experience with them. Their web page allows you to view the installation instructions specific to your car/truck. That way you could see what you are in for as far as installation goes.

Last edited:

TonyC

I guess you'll have to go with the Curt brand since the other's will NOT work with your Si model. Why? they all look the same..
Btw, installation is a piece of cake.. Have some extra hands available to hold up hitch while you align the bolts in the holes.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I have a full Thule system, which I can't be happier with.

I have the Side Arms, which is the same as the T2... only it goes on the roof. I would have used a T2, only my Sable doesn't have a hitch. However, my mpg did drop half a mile. (That is 2 Side Arms, 44" Fairing, 50 LB, 400xt Aero Feet) Yes, that's with bikes on the roof... mountain bikes too! But not 29ers, and we all know that since 29ers have a larger wheel, there's more wind resistance... kidding :rolleyes:

For me, Thule is the way to go. Thule is spot on the money with the T2 and Side Arm.

DownhillR3

I'm also looking at getting a roof rack setup for my A4 since a hitch mount just wouldn't look right. Leaning towards Thule's Aero bars w/ the Sidearm mount, any of you have that setup? Still don't like the idea that a $5,000 45lbs DH bike will be strapped to the top of my roof(I just keep picturing going around a turn & the bike flying off), maybe i'll just use it for the light XC bike.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I'm also looking at getting a roof rack setup for my A4 since a hitch mount just wouldn't look right. Leaning towards Thule's Aero bars w/ the Sidearm mount, any of you have that setup? Still don't like the idea that a $5,000 45lbs DH bike will be strapped to the top of my roof(I just keep picturing going around a turn & the bike flying off), maybe i'll just use it for the light XC bike.

Guys who I work with have Bottle Rockets, Grad Mals and Demo's all on their roofs with Side Arms. The rack was originally designs for bikes with large down tubes and for wide tires. Plus, if you look at the picture of the Side Arm on the website, there is a Big Hit shown.

That said, the heaviest thing I've put on my roof is my 35 lbs Liquid with 2.5 tires. Not a peep or anything.

My advice, go for it!

Spylab

I have a Pontiac GTO, which limited my options severely as a trunk or roof mount did not exist regardless of the company. For the better part of a year I disassembled the bike and destroyed the rear cabin loading the Giant in and out.

When I finally had enough of that game, I looked around and found a hitch that was a direct bolt up (45 minute install) on eBay. I went with the Thule T2 hitch rack and I can't imagine a better setup. I have to transport everything from fixed gear road bikes to all mountain bikes to DH bikes with the wackiest frame designs imaginable. Plus, there are no direct contact points with the car so I don't have to worry about scuffing up the paint.

And, like I said, it'll hold just about anything!

l_a70d0512d70606078f49bc2fb8431481.jpg

DownhillR3

Spylab, I saw your car at Diablo this past weekend, when I was riding down the road I could of sworn the emblem looked like a Vauxhall for some reason.

Spylab

Spylab, I saw your car at Diablo this past weekend, when I was riding down the road I could of sworn the emblem looked like a Vauxhall for some reason.

Close but no cigar! I converted the front end to a Holden Monaro, and replaced the rear badging as well. Good eye, though!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So i ended up buying a Thule roof rack. I had the hitch kit delivered and after 3 hours of trying to install the thing i realized it must have been damaged during shipping. The holes just didnt line up and after a thorough inspection i could see where it was clearly bent. So i went right to my local EMS and picked up the Thule roof rack. EMS was actully having a pretty good sale and i saved close to a buck fifty on the thing. So far so good...

Thanks for the advice everybody...

rlb

Hello, need some long term review if anyone used for a while.
I'm thinking about buying this.
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=599xtr
also little concern this will scratch off bike frame paint where it clamp.
appreciate for any comment. Thanks.

My girlfriend has two on her S10 Jimmy. They are older (probably ~ 10 years old) but they hold the bikes just fine. The clamp has rubber padding in it so there haven't been any scratches. However, you have to be diligent about wiping the downtubes before loading the bikes up. If you clamp on top of a muddy tube, it will be like clamping a piece of sandpaper to your downtube. This model does a good job of holding the bikes. That being said, there are a few issues.

The latch that works the downtube clamp is sunfaded and is beginning to splinter, so it leaves a nice fiberglass splinter in my hand every now and then. This might not be an issue on newer models. (Edit: looking at the pictures on the Thule site, the latch is totaly re-designed, not sure if they're using the same material though). The other problem is the clamp inevitably works it way down the downtube a bit and contacts the outer chain ring. The chainring hasn't bent on either of our bikes, but it does concern me because there is some sway to the bikes when they're racked up. This would probably be solved by adjusting the clamp, but the adjusting rods are bent on both racks, so I can't dial in the adjustments 100% where they should be.

Also, the rack sat on her car with little use for a few years, until we bought our bikes. Her dad bought the racks when it was his car but he didn't use them much. They worked just fine the day we picked up the bikes, after not being used for a while.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You need to look at the Thule 594 sidearm. the arm holds the front wheel so no frame issues and if you change bikes it will always work. It also works with wheels 24-29 inch wheels.

M

motozine

that thule 594 looks good but more money, hmmm.
by the way how does arm hold? looks like it's holding tire but doesn't it hits folk/rim brake also?

Top Bottom