Need a new Bottom Bracket for the SS...

serviceguy

Well, when I swapped out the cracked carbon cranks on the SS in favor of an old alloy set I had to replace the BB due to the spindle diameter (24mm Vs 30mm), the only one I had handy and that 'I thought' was OK was the RF X-Type that came with the cranks when I bought them used...well, it felt OK before installing in on the bike but it has started making a grinding noise since almost the beginning, so it needs to go.

As Race Face BB go, the bearings are not replaceable, so I'm not inclined to just replacing it with a new, same one.

I've had good results so far with Hope 30mm but I'm not familiar with the 24mm ones. The obvious choice would be Chris King but it's a lot of simoleons for one of those. Is there anything else on the market that could ensure years of good service and bearings that are meant to be replaced when shot (and available in red) ?

JDurk

XT or XTR? I believe I have an XTR on my I.F. with XT cranks. It's about 3yrs old.

serviceguy

XT or XTR? I believe I have an XTR on my I.F. with XT cranks. It's about 3yrs old.
I have one and the bearings are not replaceable as well, one side is already grinding. I also don't like much the spacer between the bearing race and the spindle being plastic, to be honest.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Shimano ones are cheap and reliable/last a really long time. I have put these through the ringer in all conditions.

I have become a big fan of wheels manufacturing bottom brackets. Spend a few extra dollars to get the one with angular contact bearings. I have one on my 5010 that has 10,000+ miles (900-1000 hours) with zero issues and I maybe serviced it twice? My son now rides it and I was confident enough to buy one for my pivot.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have one and the bearings are not replaceable as well, one side is already grinding. I also don't like much the spacer between the bearing race and the spindle being plastic, to be honest.

the spacer is probably made out of a softer material than the spindle/bb intentionally in case something goes wrong its the cheap piece of plastic that gets damaged instead of the more expensive pieces.

serviceguy

the spacer is probably made out of a softer material than the frame/bb intentionally in case something goes wrong its the cheap piece of plastic that gets damaged instead of the more expensive pieces.
Seems to be the case on 24mm BBs only, 30mm BB do not seem to have this problem (Hope, Race Face). The Shimano/Race Face 24mm BB are also one use, if the plastic piece goes bad you need to replace the whole BB. Also, aren't 24mm spindles mostly steel?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Seems to be the case on 24mm BBs only, 30mm BB do not seem to have this problem (Hope, Race Face). The Shimano/Race Face 24mm BB are also one use, if the plastic piece goes bad you need to replace the whole BB. Also, aren't 24mm spindles mostly steel?
What exactly are you doing to make the plastic piece go bad, it is just a spacer. Besides, like Jim said, just replace it, it’s less than a set of bearings.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

bb are one of the few things i have not had any real issues with, i have always just had the shop replace them, $100 or less parts and labor inclusive, done while i waited, not worth my hassle to put any more effort out. (iv never had a bb actually wear out, iv had two that were defective replaced for me).

ill leave the overthinking to you and @Patrick on this one.

serviceguy

24mm BB, just do the cheapest Shimano and throw it away in a few years. $25 and done.
While I can't attest to the Race Face durability because I bought it used, the Shimano XT I was going to use yesterday has barely months of use and it's already grinding.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The Shimano ones are cheap and reliable/last a really long time. I have put these through the ringer in all conditions.

I have become a big fan of wheels manufacturing bottom brackets. Spend a few extra dollars to get the one with angular contact bearings. I have one on my 5010 that has 10,000+ miles (900-1000 hours) with zero issues and I maybe serviced it twice? My son now rides it and I was confident enough to buy one for my pivot.
24mm BB, just do the cheapest Shimano and throw it away in a few years. $25 and done.
this 10000%, all the shimano threaded bottom brackets i've used have been bomb proof. and if its a problem, garbage and new, done and done!

mtbiker87

Haven't any real problems with Shimano or Race face BB' s with 24mm spindles. Or with the 30mm Race face BB' s either to be honest. Totally agree with the R&R method. If you do 'em yourself you can probably get 6 to 8 years with two BB's, for less money than something like a Hope or Chris King with replaceable bearings. But results may vary, depending on how, and how often, regular maintenance is followed.

onetracker

While I can't attest to the Race Face durability because I bought it used, the Shimano XT I was going to use yesterday has barely months of use and it's already grinding.
Perhaps the preload was too tight. I usually get 1-2 seasons out of an XT BB; usually the drive side goes bad. I have used a CK BB (my wife gave it to me as a gift) and it is nice but you need a special tool to install or you mar up the finish. The CK tool doubles the cost of the BB. You can use a rag inside the Shimano tool bit it is still not great. Used a Wheels ceramic BB and it did not last long; it was junk.

serviceguy

Well, once the wheels are in motion (no, not the wheels of my bike, those rarely move) it's hard to stop...Hope red 24mm BB purchased. Waiting to see how much it takes me to go with the matching headset...bling was the factor here.

Ron

Personally I am a Chris King BB guy. I have just had good luck with them.

But I am also looking at a Wheels Manufacturing EBB for the Epic HT I recently picked up.

serviceguy

Well, I couldn't wait so I had a pit-stop at Town Cycles and picked up an XT BB. Off course, I don't have the specific tool as it is a smaller diameter than the older ones, so I had to use the old plumber wrench + cloth to tighten it, correct tools are in the mail. I should be covered for the next 123 standards that come out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Well, I couldn't wait so I had a pit-stop at Town Cycles and picked up an XT BB. Off course, I don't have the specific tool as it is a smaller diameter than the older ones, so I had to use the old plumber wrench + cloth to tighten it, correct tools are in the mail. I should be covered for the next 123 standards that come out.
At some point they came with the plastic adapter

Top Bottom