Nasty crash in ou road group last week

Mk1Racer

We had one on our ride Thurs. evening. Bad one too, three riders involved. What's worse, is that one of the riders wasn't even riding w/ the other two. Also, it happened ~50 yds from the entrance to the parking lot where we all park, at the end of the ride!

The way I understand it, rider X, was riding by himself, to the right of the road. He was finishing up a 25 mile "B" ride. Riders Y and Z, were finishing up a 36 mile A ride, and were apparently sprinting back to the parking lot (very slight downhill leading to the lot entrance). Apparently, riders Y and Z were pretty close to each other, w/ one of them slightly ahead. As the rider in front (let's say it was Y) went to move over to pass rider X, he came in contact w/ rider Z's front wheel. Both rider Y and rider Z were out of the saddle sprinting, probably @ 30+ mph. Rider X was probably somewhere between 15 and 17 mph. Rider's Y and Z go down hard, right in front of rider X. Rider X has no where to go, and ends up doing an endo over either rider Y or rider Z.

Rider X ends up w/ major road rash up his right side, and a tweaked bike. Riders Y and Z both go to the hospital on back boards.

This is an evening club ride!!! That parking lot (which serves a park) is full of people. Many are casual riders, many are runners, many are people playing softball, many are parents there w/ their kids. There's no reason in hell for two guys to be sprinting back to the lot @ 30+ mph in an area that's that crowded.

I hope everyone is ok, but if I were rider X, I'd seriously consider suing rider's Y and Z. They're not on the same ride together, and the club has guidelines about announcing yourself when you're passing a slower rider. Pretty sure no one called out 'on your left'. To me, it's no different than someone that's driving a car irresponsibly that causes an accident.

UPDATE:

Turns out that one of the "A" riders is still in the hospital w/ a broken collar bone, several broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and 'significant' road rash. I ride w/ Morris Area Freewheelers, and the injured rider in question is Tom Talbot. If anyone knows him, keep a good thought for him!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Odd that in my original reply, I was going to ask if it was Loantaka. But I figured that was a totally random guess and it made no sense to post. It's a fairly high people area and if you're coming back to it from the swamp side, it's a little more than a gentle downhill I'd say. If you have a pair of A riders duking it out I'd wager they could easily have been coming up on 40 mph right off that turn.

The name Tom Talbot sounds familiar but I can't say why, as I've never ridden with that group.

Mk1Racer

Odd that in my original reply, I was going to ask if it was Loantaka. But I figured that was a totally random guess and it made no sense to post. It's a fairly high people area and if you're coming back to it from the swamp side, it's a little more than a gentle downhill I'd say. If you have a pair of A riders duking it out I'd wager they could easily have been coming up on 40 mph right off that turn.

The name Tom Talbot sounds familiar but I can't say why, as I've never ridden with that group.

Norm,

I could certainly see where the speed could be close to 40mph. As I said, I came through the corner in the mid-30's, and I wasn't out of the saddle. Where the accident occurred was up the road from the corner, almost directly across from the road that leads into that office complex.

And yes, it's a pretty high people area, especially @ 7:30 on a weekday evening in the summer. It's really a shame that it happened, and as of this writing, I believe Tom is still in the hospital.

Top Bottom