Nassau Trail conditions

Based on the rainfall we received so far, will these trails be open tomorrow?
If clear tomorrow I will post open. We had heavy rain early Friday morning, but it cleared up around noon. Unfortunately, I think tomorrow is like 90% chance of rain.

Reactions: mnk
Rode Springside this afternoon for the first time in a bit. Good shape. Lots of leaves but it was dry and traction was good so not complaining one bit. Fun!

Overall in good shape…except:
1) Foran Field entrance trail, for about 1/4 mile or so, is slick and getting rutted. Very 6-mile-in-winter-after-the-sun-hits-it. Recommend avoiding this section until it freezes hard
2) Flatlands had some muddy spots as well as a downed tree

Foran Field entrance trail, for about 1/4 mile or so, is slick and getting rutted. Very 6-mile-in-winter-after-the-sun-hits-it. Recommend avoiding this section until it freezes hard
Ya, this section is doomed. They need a bridge or some reroute that avoids all that sun.

Was wondering. Foran section and Flatlands always take some time. Foran is a popular starting spot too. Agree folks should avoid it.
The loop from Foran flows so good, it’ll always be popular. I think that section will get trashed unless it gets closed.

How about a new trail from behind the trail kiosk at Foran, along the woods, into the trails? No more riding through the field, and maybe you can avoid the section that getting trashed. 👍👍👍

The loop from Foran flows so good, it’ll always be popular. I think that section will get trashed unless it gets closed.

How about a new trail from behind the trail kiosk at Foran, along the woods, into the trails? No more riding through the field, and maybe you can avoid the section that getting trashed. 👍👍👍
They already moved it up the hill. Not sure there is a better option

Rode yesterday early afternoon. The upper lot on Nassau was messy, but the trails were fine. I rode some of the old stuff on the Nassau side (avoided flatlands) and most of Springside (avoided the Foran Trail). Everything I rode was in good shape. Some leaves built up in the turns on the main trail in made it hard to see the rocks on the trail through those sections....but you could say that just added a level of excitement.

It seemed like the run in to the doubles after you come out of Sidewinder had ben cleaned up a bit. Or maybe people had just been riding them for a change so it seemed that way, but it was the first time that set really ever looked inviting to me.

I concur with jShort's idea above on a reroute to avoid the field all together, or....and I might get flamed for this....just assume that one stretch doesn't dry well and resign to the fact that it is what it is?

I'll continue to avoid that section, but for people coming in from out of town, I think that lot is a draw compared to the two others. Especially if you have a bunch of people meeting up each in their own car...the other lots aren't too spacious. Plus it's a fun trail other than that wet section.

Rode yesterday early afternoon. The upper lot on Nassau was messy, but the trails were fine. I rode some of the old stuff on the Nassau side (avoided flatlands) and most of Springside (avoided the Foran Trail). Everything I rode was in good shape. Some leaves built up in the turns on the main trail in made it hard to see the rocks on the trail through those sections....but you could say that just added a level of excitement.

It seemed like the run in to the doubles after you come out of Sidewinder had ben cleaned up a bit. Or maybe people had just been riding them for a change so it seemed that way, but it was the first time that set really ever looked inviting to me.

I concur with jShort's idea above on a reroute to avoid the field all together, or....and I might get flamed for this....just assume that one stretch doesn't dry well and resign to the fact that it is what it is?

I'll continue to avoid that section, but for people coming in from out of town, I think that lot is a draw compared to the two others. Especially if you have a bunch of people meeting up each in their own car...the other lots aren't too spacious. Plus it's a fun trail other than that wet section.

A muddy rut on the side of a field isn't the end of the world.. so agree

But we can do something. So we should. ??

A muddy rut on the side of a field isn't the end of the world.. so agree

But we can do something. So we should. ??
True. But I thought we were talking about the stretch of trail after you go into the woods from the ballfield. It very quickly opens up into a sort of "natural" field that stays pretty damp and muddy.

I hadn't noticed the edge of the ballfield being muddy, but maybe I just never hit it at the right (or wrong) time. I'm so close that half the time I just bike to the trails from my house

Rode Nassau and the jump lines yesterday for the first time (conditions were spectacular at both) and just want to say "thanks" to the crew that does the maintenance and trail building there. Super impressive how well groomed and maintained everything was, and the trail markings and maps were spot on. Heck, there were hardly even any leaves on the trails! Super job, folks. We'll be back!

True. But I thought we were talking about the stretch of trail after you go into the woods from the ballfield. It very quickly opens up into a sort of "natural" field that stays pretty damp and muddy.

I hadn't noticed the edge of the ballfield being muddy, but maybe I just never hit it at the right (or wrong) time. I'm so close that half the time I just bike to the trails from my house
Agee it’s not the rut on the side of the ball field that’s the issue. It’s the dirt trail itself leading into the woods and through those grassy areas, until you get to the medium size “up-and-over” berm about 1/4 mile later. After that the dirt seems to take on a rockier consistency and is pretty firm from there on. So it’s a relatively short section but gets a lot of use. At Lew Mo years ago we had the same problem and we addressed it by laying down some geotextile to prevent moisture from coming up through the soil, and then some fine stone and QP dust on top. It’s held up for close to 10 years now.

The "open field" after entering the woods is where the trail was moved uphill -
That seemed better than the previous location.

Don't remember it being overly soft between there and the ballfields - but i could see it
channeling water down that way. maybe a grade reversal coming out of that little field?
or is it ground moisture as Greg mentioned?

Maybe i'll take a hike over that way today. Could use some exercise.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions