narrow, firm saddles

monteverest

Took my first ride yesterday with a firm saddle and it was excruciating. Is this ability to ride firm saddles innate like gender or can I train my derriere to find solace in firmness?

there are firm saddles, and then there are firm saddles. While nothing can replace saddle time when it comes to "conditioning" you for a narrow, performance saddle: You may just need to shop around until you find the "firm & narrow" saddle that fits you best. I know a 280lb track racer that uses carbon flites on all his bikes. I have a different brooks on each of mine. You may just need to find one that works for your shape.

Took my first ride yesterday with a firm saddle and it was excruciating.

Be sure to follow any written instructions or documentation that is provided with the saddle.

CIMG7266Small.jpg

Ergon should make some kind of "ass template" that tells what the best fitting seats are.

more I ride, I more appreciate firm, narrow saddles. I'm used to love WTB Speed V Comp Saddle but now I cannot pedal sitting on that sofa.

Took my first ride yesterday with a firm saddle and it was excruciating. Is this ability to ride firm saddles innate like gender or can I train my derriere to find solace in firmness?

Shoot me a PM next time you're up north. Picked up a saddle a month or so ago and hate the thing so much I put my old road saddle on the mtb. Maybe a swap or cash either way if it fits...

I had a woman ask about the "skinny seats" on the bikes on my roof when I was at the convenient store the other day. She asked "Don't those things hurt?…or do you guys just develop a callus down there?"

Seriously though, this might sound like a dumb question, but are you wearing a shammy? I have never once felt in the least bit uncomfortable on any of my saddles.

I wore a shammy but it didnt provide any relief. My sit bones felt like they rode on stones. Today I played with the tilt of the saddle but not sure if it will make a difference. D! This is the third saddle on this bike and the only shape I've found that allows me to get behind the seat. The quest continues and the bum maons ...

Dave - I'll be around this week. Will PM you -

Hey Jesse stop by Marty's and get your butt measured. I never knew there was such a thing but it made a world of a difference.

Supposedely some shops have a WTB demo set-up and they will let you demo a seat on your bike. I saw this on the WTB website, but I dont know which shops do this. I cheated and ordered 3 online, sat on them and picked the one I liked and sent the rest back. No- I didnt use them and I even taped the rails so I wouldnt scratch them. I figured if it didnt feel good just sitting on it it wouldnt feel good riding. I got lucky and choose the WTB Vigo. I really like this seat.

Took my best shammy for a ride and it didn't feel as bad as the first time. My right sitbone was much less comfortable than the left sitbone. Maybe the saddle is too narrow or my leg lengths are mismatched - but I need a skinny seat for this bike.

Reminds me, does anyone consciously think of their pelvic position when riding? I tend to sit directly on my sitbones but after looking into this, quite a few bike fitters/coaches say to tilt the pelvis forward. That's how I used to ride but didn't like the idea of placing weight on the jewels.

Well Manny - this sounds like something I have to get naked for?
Hey Jesse stop by Marty's and get your butt measured. I never knew there was such a thing but it made a world of a difference.

Took my best shammy for a ride and it didn't feel as bad as the first time. My right sitbone was much less comfortable than the left sitbone. Maybe the saddle is too narrow or my leg lengths are mismatched - but I need a skinny seat for this bike.

Reminds me, does anyone consciously think of their pelvic position when riding? I tend to sit directly on my sitbones but after looking into this, quite a few bike fitters/coaches say to tilt the pelvis forward. That's how I used to ride but didn't like the idea of placing weight on the jewels.

Well Manny - this sounds like something I have to get naked for?

That was exactly what I asked them.:rolleyes: But no...you just sit on a memory foam which lets them know your butt size.

someday I will break the bank for an evolution. from what I have heard and read these are what ergon has done with grips in the saddle world, Jshort are you taking notes?:D

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/evolution.htm

i have this seat on my blur and its a dream. Not a hint of soreness after even the longest rides. Theres not a spec of padding on it, simply wrapped in leather but its contoured perfect. I cant say enough about it, if you have the money pick one up. They have others in that same line, different sizes so try all of them out and decide which one you like.

Back
Top Bottom