My Trip To Round Valley Recreational Area

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not really....

Taking the advice of several people yesterday I said fuck it today and took the SS out in the slushy slop and sleet. I found some old Old Nazy cheapo windbreaker that worked wonders as an outer shell. Kept me really dry.

Some turkeys looking for free food at the Rapter Trust:

2115113769_36747c176a.jpg

This is a stream near the Rapter Trust:

2115113777_9a2e326181.jpg

In the Great Swamp National Refuge (or whatever it's called), riding on an upaved and unplowed road really makes you a) learn to be out of control and b) pedal smoothly. I liked this because of the red in the field:

2115113781_0f2f2ffd0e.jpg

This would be the payoff in the spring, where people come to see the herons. This is the lookout:

2115113787_4a34edd256.jpg

And the obligatory bike picture:

2115113789_57b40cf777.jpg

Good stuff. Anything I can do to avoid the trainer for as long as I can this year. Stay warm.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How was the ride on the SS?

Cool in the swamp, but brutally slow on the road to get there. Chain came off once, the Singulator doesn't keep the chain down. So I might need to do the pull-up thing like most people do.

no wolverines or cyotes, huh?

Fox prints in the swamp, but that's not a big deal. Oh I did see a Yeti playing solitaire, but really that's as commonplace as a deer in NJ these days.

So we made a pot roast for dinner expecting guests and they bailed. So free pot roast at Norm's house. Bread pudding for dessert. White wine, red wine, and beer.

walter

Fourth Party
So we made a pot roast for dinner expecting guests and they bailed. So free pot roast at Norm's house. Bread pudding for dessert. White wine, red wine, and beer.

Sweet, I'll bring the cookies and home made red sangria

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you tighten the Singulator with a 18mm cone wrench? They suck, still shouldn't come off on the road.

See linky #11:http://www.surlybikes.com/files/NewSingleatorInfo.pdf

I did at some point or other, but probably/possibly not enough. But when it comes "up" it just has like no juice pushing the chain down.

Also, when I put a lot of force on it, it pops off 100% of the time.

Thanks for the link. You like pot roast?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Norm, what gearing do you have for the SS there?

Not sure, either 32-16 or 32-17. I think 17 but not sure. Last year I ran it at 32-15 which was a little aggressive for this non-SSer.

Anyway, the payoff pitch...

2115751721_7b1eeddea7.jpg

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ditch the surly. it's useless. that thing damn near killed me on more than one occasion.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ditch the surly. it's useless. that thing damn near killed me on more than one occasion.

Ryan uses it in the push-up position but with rubber bands. I'll probably give that a shot. But yeah, when you're at max force and it pops off that's kinda sucky.

J-Dro

This is all well and good. But did you see the sign with the horse shoe about 50' before the trail closed sign? I'm still wondering where that trail goes?

ArmyOfNone

I spoke to a guy at the chainstretcher w/ a singulator. He was running it in the up position w/ some zip ties. Seemed to work for him. He said the zip ties where a sturdy alternative to rubber bands.

BiknBen

I spoke to a guy at the chainstretcher w/ a singulator. He was running it in the up position w/ some zip ties. Seemed to work for him. He said the zip ties where a sturdy alternative to rubber bands.

I would agree with this. Use the zip-te around the chainstay to pull the tensioner up snug. Also be sure to use an actual SS cog. The teeth of a SS cog are longer and will keep the chain on.

Top Bottom