My path to en"light"enment

jklett

Bit of an update. I'm hovering just under 190 for the first time since I was 16 so I'm happy about that but I'm going for more. I think that the change of my eating habits is starting to do something, I am to the point where fast food makes me feel lousy so I don't want to eat it.

I have cancelled trainer road for the summer since it was starting to interfere with real riding, if I can't get out every couple of days I'll do something on the trainer that feels similar to one of their workouts. I feel like it did help with my poor excuse for a cardio vascular system. I'll pick it up again in the fall and push through until spring.

I'm still doing some basic weight and core stuff, I might focus on that a little more. I'm also trying to work on my bike handling, I definitely have room for improvement there. I need to feel more comfortable with cornering(washed out enough times that I'm overly cautious sometimes) and having the wheels off the ground. I never had a problem with being airborne before but all of the sudden I've caught myself avoiding it whenever I can and it's bothering me. If anyone has some drills or something to help with that I'm all ears.

Anyways, that's where I am at the moment.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Congrats on the continued weight loss/fitness gain!
Sounds like you've had a lifestyle change, which makes all the good habits enjoyable.
Keep up the good work, and keep climbing cush/rv...

ok to ride conservatively, we aren't kids anymore. on the flip-side, i'm sure some of that air mojo will
return with the weather.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if someone is crazy enough to try it would be Jason
Guy has no fear and sessioned everything at Sourlands last year except that 4ft drop Manny pulled out of no where

That the one up top where normal people go between the rocks, down the little ramp?
It is a huck-to-flat? Jairo did it a few years back - he rode the dam at the 4-way also.

jklett

The funny thing is that my "courage" comes and goes for no particular reason. I'll hit something one time and feel sketched the next or vice versa. I will say that I did lose some confidence after short track(more talking cornering here), I really wasn't prepared for that yet. I probably should have waited until next year like I had originally planned. My plan of action is going to be to pad up and see how much I can push some turns before washing out and set up some cinder blocks and boards and build up from there. The back roof of the barn by the chickens is only 6' high.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The funny thing is that my "courage" comes and goes for no particular reason. I'll hit something one time and feel sketched the next or vice versa. I will say that I did lose some confidence after short track(more talking cornering here), I really wasn't prepared for that yet. I probably should have waited until next year like I had originally planned. My plan of action is going to be to pad up and see how much I can push some turns before washing out and set up some cinder blocks and boards and build up from there. The back roof of the barn by the chickens is only 6' high.
We should just blindfold you
8N0J.gif

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
That the one up top where normal people go between the rocks, down the little ramp?
It is a huck-to-flat? Jairo did it a few years back - he rode the dam at the 4-way also.
Met Jairo at the Wildcat Wednesday ride yesterday. Highly skilled rider.

qclabrat

Don't think so, we were standing around sessioning some thing and Manny was on the side cleaning off a path. He stands back nods his head and went for it with his old enduro

jklett

Off topic but it's my party so... I'm a little mad. All this healthy living and exercise has made all of my fishing stuff way too big. I have a bunch of long sleeve shirts and pants so I don't have to use sunscreen(I hate the way any type of lotions feel) and none of it fits without serious belt tightening. I don't care how I look(obviously, based on my everyday clothes) but when that stuff is too baggy it snags on everything and is generally a PIA. At least my life jacket cinches down without being uncomfortable. I know, there's much worse problems than this but I really don't want to buy new clothes.

jklett

So I had sort of forgot about this post and my promise to update it regularly. There's not much to report except that I'm down to around 185 and I'm back to riding regularly again. I'm not really thinking much about what I'm eating, since I've been staying away from fast food for so long my system can't handle it anymore so I am eating healthier almost out of habit now. I had almost a month where I was too busy trying to replace the roof on my workshop and I didn't ride that much because of it. That's finally out of the way and I can do a little more fun stuff again. I think that going up and down the ladder like 47 million times helped me keep some fitness though.

I am starting to get over my fear of roads so I won't have to ride the trainer when the trails are too wet. I finally cracked 50 miles, although I probably should have looked at the elevation profile before doing that particular loop in my quest for miles. I'm confident that if I pick a flat enough route that I can hit 100 but I'm still not quite there for any serious hills. I didn't have to walk on that ride but I did have to stop for a minute at the top before heading down. Maybe I'll keep trying some of those hills without adding a bunch of flat miles just to get better at them. Is sessioning road sections a thing?

I'm getting more confident on my mountain bike, all it really took was switching back to flat pedals. I can see the advantages to being clipped in but it's not for me. I can't stop lifting my feet when I start to go otb and when I'm clipped in it pulls the rear right over whereas with flats I can almost always save it. I'm still working on finding my limits with cornering, it's getting better but I still have some work to do there. I'm also pushing myself a little with getting off the ground. I'm starting to get a little more aware of where I can jump and where I need to stay down. There's some stuff that I know can be doubled but I'm not quite there yet. I'm learning.

Anyways, that's pretty much all I got for now. I'll try to be a little more regular with the updates.

Top Bottom