My path to en"light"enment

Not much to update as far as any fitness or weight loss, I have fallen off a little the past few weeks while I was repainting my bike. This week hasn't been a good one for us so that stuff is really backseated even more so for the time being.

I'll just get to it. I was told on Monday that the company I've been at for the past almost 25 years is closing at the end of April and that I have to stay to the end or I forfeit my severance(which my family needs or I would have just told him to go fuck himself). I don't know what to do about that but I'll figure it out somehow. If nothing else, I'm resourceful and resilient. Then I woke up this morning to find that my cat had passed overnight. I knew that he was going to go at some point but I wasn't quite ready for that today. Between those two things on top of trying to stay positive and upbeat for my youngest daughter's birthday yesterday, I think that everything that's happened the past few years that I haven't really dealt with is coming back and haunting me. I'm not in a good place at the moment but I'll bounce back. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything, I just wanted to get some of it off my chest and let everyone know the reason why I may not be my usual jovial self.

We'll, I'm off to dig a hole. I'll be back later.

Not much to update as far as any fitness or weight loss, I have fallen off a little the past few weeks while I was repainting my bike. This week hasn't been a good one for us so that stuff is really backseated even more so for the time being.

I'll just get to it. I was told on Monday that the company I've been at for the past almost 25 years is closing at the end of April and that I have to stay to the end or I forfeit my severance(which my family needs or I would have just told him to go fuck himself). I don't know what to do about that but I'll figure it out somehow. If nothing else, I'm resourceful and resilient. Then I woke up this morning to find that my cat had passed overnight. I knew that he was going to go at some point but I wasn't quite ready for that today. Between those two things on top of trying to stay positive and upbeat for my youngest daughter's birthday yesterday, I think that everything that's happened the past few years that I haven't really dealt with is coming back and haunting me. I'm not in a good place at the moment but I'll bounce back. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything, I just wanted to get some of it off my chest and let everyone know the reason why I may not be my usual jovial self.

I know the feeling, some may say it's just a cat but it's not. It becomes an integral part of family life. My sincere condolences.

If anyone will bounce back it will be you. Opportunities will always be there for someone who cares about what they do and gets the job done. Update your resume when you are ready, lots of folks here working for engineering firms could use a tech with all your experience. RIP cat

My condolences on the cat, it is always hard having a family member go.

If you need to stay till close you could always apply with the next work day being your start date. I wish I could be of help I just know no one in the field.

Thanks guys, everything will work out somehow. I'll be all good again, I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on so if I disappear for a little while y'all know why. Neither event was completely out of the blue but it just sucks that they both happened the same week.

To add a little insult to injury, I ripped one of the straps off of my heavy bag this morning. At least I had enough sense to put the gloves on this time instead of tearing up my knuckles again. Should be easy enough to fix/rig with a little creativity and a whole lot of duct tape.

Sorry to hear all of that. Those little creatures have way to get to you, in all possible ways, even when they are gone. I wish you the best of luck with the job, and yes, that severance constraint sucks! Hopefully pretty soon all that crap will be a thing of the past and not be worried about any longer!

Damn J , gutted to hear all that. The thing I've learned about getting through bad times, is they make me appreciate the good times, the little, seemingly insignificant ones, that much more.

Sorry to hear about your job and your family member. 25 years is almost unheard of these days and shows your loyalty. I recall (besides being very generous and never asking of anything in return) that your very mechanically inclined. What is your skill set in case anybody in your line of work is reading this thread?

Sorry to hear about your job and your family member. 25 years is almost unheard of these days and shows your loyalty. I recall (besides being very generous and never asking of anything in return) that your very mechanically inclined. What is your skill set in case anybody in your line of work is reading this thread?
Thanks, this is the third pet we've lost in the past 6 months. It's been a rough patch but that's life i guess.

As to my job, in a nutshell I am/was the production manager/machinist/maintenance guy/technician/assembler for a small electronics manufacturing company. I did everything short of the finances there from inventory, parts acquisition, shipping and receiving, troubleshooting and repair of the machinery, employee training, I could go on and on. I started as an assembler and worked my way up. I've rebuilt some of the equipment there and I program, operate, maintain and repair the surface mount pick and place machine. Hell, I even rebuilt the engine and carburators of the original owner's triumph once when we were slow.

BTW, I don't have a formal education past high school, everything I can do was self taught. It has always been the case that something needs to be done so I figure out how to get it done as accurately and efficiently as possible. If I don't know how to do something I will research it so that I do.

BTW, I don't have a formal education past high school, everything I can do was self taught. It has always been the case that something needs to be done so I figure out how to get it done as accurately and efficiently as possible. If I don't know how to do something I will research it so that I do.
Let's open up a bike shop!
Hilltap or Haltars?

Thanks, this is the third pet we've lost in the past 6 months. It's been a rough patch but that's life i guess.

As to my job, in a nutshell I am/was the production manager/machinist/maintenance guy/technician/assembler for a small electronics manufacturing company. I did everything short of the finances there from inventory, parts acquisition, shipping and receiving, troubleshooting and repair of the machinery, employee training, I could go on and on. I started as an assembler and worked my way up. I've rebuilt some of the equipment there and I program, operate, maintain and repair the surface mount pick and place machine. Hell, I even rebuilt the engine and carburators of the original owner's triumph once when we were slow.

I wouldn't be so worried it's a tight labor market, I have a BS but it's unrelated to the field I'm working. I've started to apply for jobs with the limited diy portfolio that I have and I'm getting calls back. Gather some evidence on the type of work you do while you still have it. Your a dying breed there will be work out there for you.

Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch and about your cat. Try to stay positive and start opening those doors. You'll find the right one to step through.

Is there something in particular that you would like to do or focus on?

@jklett im sorry to hear about your loss and the challenges. If I can help let me know you’re always there to help others so I am sure I am not the only one offering.

Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch and about your cat. Try to stay positive and start opening those doors. You'll find the right one to step through.

Is there something in particular that you would like to do or focus on?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've always been a hands on person and that's where I've excelled but I am pretty adaptable. I can figure out most tasks I'm given and once I understand how things work I can teach others how to do them. I really haven't fully processed everything yet so I'm not quite sure.

@jklett im sorry to hear about your loss and the challenges. If I can help let me know you’re always there to help others so I am sure I am not the only one offering.
Thanks, I'll come through somehow. Once I get a better handle on the situation I'll probably be leaning on all y'all a bit at least for advice. And don't worry, I'll still be helping anyone who needs it if I'm able to. It's therapeutic for me.

Is ogdensberg (spelling?) Too far for you? If not, I have a close friend who's in a management position at a manufacturing company. They do rubber for the military or some shit (gas masks and all that). Send me a resume if you're up for that commute.

Is ogdensberg (spelling?) Too far for you? If not, I have a close friend who's in a management position at a manufacturing company. They do rubber for the military or some shit (gas masks and all that). Send me a resume if you're up for that commute.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. That's really far(looks like about an hour and fifteen without traffic) but if I can't find something closer I will definitely let you know. It does sound like a cool gig though, government contracts can get interesting.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. That's really far(looks like about an hour and fifteen without traffic) but if I can't find something closer I will definitely let you know. It does sound like a cool gig though, government contracts can get interesting.
Yeah, let me know. Not sure if there's a job, but cant hurt if you need it. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom