My new project, any suggestions

J-Dro

and for my latest project I'm building up an 86 Rockhopper (TIG'ed frame) with bullmoose handlebars, a SRAM S7 7-speed internal gear hub and a SRAM iLight front generator hub with a custom LED generator light built by JeffDawg, aka Dr FrankenLight...

BWAAAAA. Step into my labora-treee
poof.gif

fit4life

That's a classic, the Alpina... Definitely right up there with the early MTB classics. I'd say hold on to those derailleurs... The Suntour Mountechs were EXCELLENT derailleurs, and they're pretty rare. I have a lugged 1985 Stumpjumper (that's pretty much original with Suntour XC, except I've turned it into a commuter), a customized lugged 85 Stumpjumper Sport (with internal-geared SRAM P5 5-spd hub), and for my latest project I'm building up an 86 Rockhopper (TIG'ed frame) with bullmoose handlebars, a SRAM S7 7-speed internal gear hub and a SRAM iLight front generator hub with a custom LED generator light built by JeffDawg, aka Dr FrankenLight...

Here are links to some pictures:
85 Stumpy - http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157606654434569/ (The shifters and derailleurs in the pics are Shimano Deore; very nice, but replaced with the Suntour XC - even nicer)
85 Stumpy Sport - The Peace Bike http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157607969345534/, which features a 2-tone paintjob from the Color Factory, and I laced up the rear wheel with the P5 hub... which is one of the only internal geared hubs that will fit the 126mm rear spacing (probably the same on your Alpina, or yours may be 130).

There's SO many different ways to set that bike up... Having it clear-coated might look slick...Or send it to the Color Factory in Waretown... They did a splendid job on my wife's Stumpy Sport for about $200 (and that included bead-blasting, epoxy-primer and Imron paint). You can easily go fixie/flip-flop SS with the horiz dropouts or do an internal hub like mine...

I live up 206 in Montgomery... Stop by to see my bikes if you want ideas...email me.
Peace,
BB
I may take you up on that, I am in montgomery woods so you sound close by.

Sorry, JD, I F'ed up your handle... at least I didn't say SnoopJeffDawg or some sh** like that...

... and yo, Fit4, I almost forgot the most important component for your mutant ride: For true urban assault, you have to try out the Schwalbe Big Apples... They roll like a road tire (well, almost), but you can ride into curbs, off jumps, and down flights of stairs... they're insanely fun.... Peace, BB

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For true urban assault, you have to try out the Schwalbe Big Apples...

True that son!! I ran them on my Geek House when I did that sort of thing. They are big and light and round!! You can also check out the Bontrager Hank tires. They're a little heavier but have a slightly thicker sidewall. And they say Hank, that's pretty cool. Son.

-Jim.

Speakin' of Geekhouse... at 2009 NAHBS

True that son!! I ran them on my Geek House when I did that sort of thing.

-Jim

Jim, I drove out to Indy this weekend for the 2009 North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS).

I met Marty Walsh of Geekhouse... Very nice (and TALENTED) young lad, and he's a Massachusetts native living in Allston, MA... close to where I used to live. His SS bikes have a chain tensioner built into the frame near the dropouts (adjustable by turning a thumb-dial... cool indeed).

Plus Marty wears great Buddy Holly glasses... is that geeky-cool or what!!!

I snapped a pic of one of Marty's bikes, and a few other pics from the show - posted on Flickr.com http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157614583691768/

Peace,
BB

Last edited:

don

Jim, I drove out to Indy this weekend for the 2009 North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS).

I met Marty Walsh of Geekhouse... Very nice (and TALENTED) young lad, and he's a Massachusetts native living in Allston, MA... close to where I used to live. His SS bikes have a chain tensioner built into the frame near the dropouts (adjustable by turning a thumb-dial... cool indeed).

Plus Marty wears great Buddy Holly glasses... is that geeky-cool or what!!!

I snapped a pic of one of Marty's bikes, and a few other pics from the show - posted on Flickr.com http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157614583691768/

Peace,
BB

BB - Great pics from that show! I'm drooling just looking at images and can only imagine what it was like to see the work up close. Those shots deserve their own thread.

Is this the bike you were talking about by Geekhouse? http://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/3317220361/

Greg Melms said he hooked Marty with the fork dropouts on a post on RM - do you remember if they were 20mm?

If you like clean building and designs you'll enjoy his work for sure. Check out this thread on RM: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187985

I think his design for the seattube and integrated seatpost clamp is so slick:
TL26_assembled%20004R.jpg

I can't recall if they were 20mm, but quite possibly... They're really unique... straight-bladed with an offset welded dropout. That's the picture I was referring to... If you look closely in the largest picture you can see the chain tension dial knob near the rear dropout.

Peace,
BB

fit4life

Almost complete

Before and after. Freshly clear coated by local body shop. Just need some grips, new wheels and decide on what size sprocket to go with on the rear.
before.jpg

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

secondspeed02

my two cents

It looks awesome( whole bike , keep the silver clear coat it !) but invest in a good bmx chain ... For real you got skillz with fixing stuff up...

bystickel

Old MTBs like yours are perfect candidates for turn-of-the-century track bike replicas. The slack angles and long chainstays are really similar to antique Safety Bikes. Your bike, with 1.5" slicks, one speed, and inverted townie bars could make a cool around-town cruiser.

I've got an old Ritchey I'm trying to figure out what to do with, so your topic is an interesting one.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
looks pretty cool. just please get rid of that cassette cluster :puke: also, consider putting on a bolt on rear axle since you're running it ss.

fit4life

looks pretty cool. just please get rid of that cassette cluster :puke: also, consider putting on a bolt on rear axle since you're running it ss.

Just using the cassette cluster to figure out what size sprocket i want to go with on the rear. Definitely going with a bolt on rear axle with the new wheels.

The Kalmyk

No silver paint. I clear coated the bare metal frame.

Excellent choice to claer coat the raw frame...What was used to clean up the frame and before clear coating did you prep the frame with any anti rust agent?

Last edited:
Top Bottom