my new fun/commuter bike build?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
im a complete noob to building bikes, so this is going to be a build journal.

i found this bike on the side of the road for sale. i offered the guy 10 dollars for it, and he sold it to me. this is what i came home with:
img036.jpg

lol @ reflectorzz

im trying to build this bike for under 200 dollars.

so far the tab:
bike: $10
aircrapft remover: free :)

after a day of stripping parts, throwing crap out and keeping what i need, this is whats left:
P1010510.jpg

P1010509.jpg

here is a close up of the dropouts:
P1010506.jpg

i want to run a flip flop hub, do you think i will have an issue? my current mountain bike is a single speed, and i must have a magic gear, because i dont need a singulator :)

the next thing i hate about this bike:
P1010506.jpg

stupid welded on kickstand. i will have to remove it before it drives me nuts!

things i want to buy:
flip flop hub
some nice wheels (nothing too pricey)
new straight bars
debating on running front or rear brake

am i missing anything else?

ebineezer

cool find!

DSC00516.jpg

i actually just got an old bike that i had in my garage tuned up and brought back to life. Its a 1989 Panasonic, and in real good condition. I noticed you mentioned converting to a flat bar...that is something i also had in mind. let me know how you decide to go about the conversion
brian
:getsome:

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

DSC00516.jpg

i actually just got an old bike that i had in my garage tuned up and brought back to life. Its a 1989 Panasonic, and in real good condition. I noticed you mentioned converting to a flat bar...that is something i also had in mind. let me know how you decide to go about the conversion
brian
:getsome:

Nice ride...I'll post up my old schooler...can you get the tire pressure up to 100 with that pump

ebineezer

the pump was on the bike when i got it, haven't used it yet...it looks pretty cheap so i dunno

MTB Aussie

I have to say I scored the best paint job on my roadside find.

attachment.php

Ebineezer, now you need a Panasonic jersey to go with the bike.

retropanasonicjersey.jpg

Attachments

• Small DSC02265.JPG
    Small DSC02265.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 565

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Hey, I have one too!

I just got this from a friend at work who was going to throw it out. It's a Motobecane from the 70's (I think), when they were still made in France. I think this is one of the lower models and it has pretty cheap construction.

Maybe we can get all these beasts together for a ride (slow?).

Tim

Attachments

• Bikes 0082.jpg
    Bikes 0082.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 178

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I've thought about a lot of different types of bikes i wanted to use for tooling around town and decided on building up a BMX. Not too familiar with BMX's other than riding them as a child. Decided on getting a BMX cruiser, which, for those not familar, is a larger wheeled BMX bike.

I bought this one off of Craigslist and am in the process of making it look sparkly and fixing up all the stupid changes the previous owner made to it:

2843291188_d717b2063b.jpg

I also found this 1984 General bike from Craigslist for an amazing $35. It needs little work, other then brightening up the wheels. My girlfriend will be using this as well as myself. However, I will be paranoid as hell about this bike getting stolen, so will be reluctant to ride it around and chain it up:

2899986201_7fa2b9cea0.jpg

If you people care i can up some photos of when i get these up and running. This will be my hobby during the winter months. Want to get them ready for riding in the spring.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
fwiw, i've also been restoring/building up an old frame i picked up on the cheap-o as a fixie. should have pics up by the weekend.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
well i have this bike wedged in my car right now, im going to have to finish it soon because its taking up space (and mandi doesnt want me to keep it anymore, we dont have any room!) so hopefully i can get some gears and a chain on this bad boy, one brake and BAM!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
hey, remember me? doing this again. I lost the seatpost and it is a weird size. Anyone know what the actual size is? its probably 21ish and I have nothing that size :(

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey, remember me? doing this again. I lost the seatpost and it is a weird size. Anyone know what the actual size is? its probably 21ish and I have nothing that size :(

I think they come in all sorts of different sizes. You can measure with a caliper, or take it to a shop and try different seatposts. You might be able to shim it if you get a skinnier post.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
update:
got everything i need but this pesky seat post clamp. I think it is a 1" seat post clamp.

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Pearl,

I have what you need. It's off an old Schwinn I was going to fix up and never got around too. I'll throw it in my gear bag so just remind me next time we meet up. If you need it sonner just let me know.

Tim

P.S. Don't forget you owe me a beer.:D (now maybe 2).

dualfisted

Wheels?????

How r u doing wheels. I converted two 70's schwinn varsity's (I noticed yours was a schwinn too) over to ss fixxie and the old schwinn's had a pretty funky wheel size. I was able to get them, just cost a little bit. Keep us posted with yer fun build

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Went to Tim's house after Diablo and picked up the missing pieces. Road it around our apartment complex and realized how much fun this little thing is going to be. A couple of months ago I picked up a wheelset for this thing from Kevin. It rides at a nice slow pace which will be nice for my short 3 mile commute to work and to dink around on instead of tour-de-francing on my geared bike. Just need some argyle socks and I'm set. Here is the final piece; Just need some bar tape. I may flip the bars and be ultra trendy ;)
35123_405045293214_501378214_4437216_3888154_n.jpg

Thanks to Kevin and Tim for getting the random parts of this bike up and running. I built this up mostly because my old roommate bought this for me as a joke. He knew I liked bikes and thought it would be a funny piece of junk for me to have. He passed away a couple of months ago and I had to finish this thing. Thanks again buddy.

Top Bottom