My Hovercraft is Full of Podcasts

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just busting Joe. I really think the tire rolled. In the video you see the front wheel just shoot left, which is sort of consistent with that folding & going over. Nothing in the contact there should have really caused that to happen, it was really just a light bump. I think it was just a cocktail of bad circumstances. It was all put to bed when I obliterated SXG at Whirlybird the next race.

Recap of that race here, from 2010:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275992&postcount=45

I guess I kinda get intense during cross season...

Now I need to get my bikes dialed in for Baltimore, and put all of this together for a clean race. Obviously top 15 is my next goal. This weekend might be tough, since Charm City brings out a huge, huge field.

I'm excited though.

Maurice

Nice recap Norm, good work.

Were you using a Shimano chain by any chance? With one of those "special" pins?

I personally like the combination Dura-ace chain/sram 10sp. quick link.

Work on those starts, the course in Baltimore is very tight and not as passing-friendly as Nittany. Assuming it's the same as last year.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Were you using a Shimano chain by any chance? With one of those "special" pins?

Work on those starts, the course in Baltimore is very tight and not as passing-friendly as Nittany. Assuming it's the same as last year.

I usually use a SRAM chain, but this one was from a bike I bought to flip, and it may have been Shimano. I don't even actually know.

Agree about the starts. So much is set there. I should be in the 2nd row this week, which is certainly better than 5th and 4th this past weekend. Not that day #2 made a difference anyway :)

Your recap was awesome. You should write for CX Magazine, they're looking for contributors: http://cowbell.cxmagazine.com/forum...ss-magazine-publishing-race-reporting-and-mor

So pit bikes are ok now?

Thanks for the link - I emailed her.

Pit bikes: highly encouraged. Also helps to have someone in the pit. :)

SpartaBard

sorry you got stuck with the toy in your car... it was pretty annoying hearing it rattle the whole way down to Nittany.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sorry you got stuck with the toy in your car... it was pretty annoying hearing it rattle the whole way down to Nittany.

It's been in my car approximately 250000 miles now. Thanks...

I'll be damned if this thing is going to Baltimore with me though.

SpartaBard

It's been in my car approximately 250000 miles now. Thanks...

I'll be damned if this thing is going to Baltimore with me though.

I have plenty of other annoying toys that make noise... I felt bad giving any of those toys to the O-clan.

soulchild

Nice to have you back sir... enjoyed the music selection... did Utah recommend New Jack Hustler?!?

I enjoyed the cx recap/strategies a lot... interesting stuff hearing experienced recaps and the way you approach specific race scenarios, etc... I always find something useful to take away from it...

The first scratch on the car is like a milestone... I think it's a new car until it's scratched, after that you're not as obsessive (at least I'm not)... after that first one there's not a big difference between 1 and 3, or maybe I just care less...

2 questions:

1. How do you feel on the new bike now that you've gotten some competitive miles in compared to last year? Obviously it's lighter, easier to shoulder, etc. but do you feel faster? Any more/less confident in your skills or is it just the weight?

2. How do you compare your pedaling style in cx to road/mtb? I know you have said you are more of a masher than a spinner - how does that translate to cross? Are you just a masher across the board? Is any style better than the other for this discipline, or just whatever works for the individual?

soulchild

that song is 'It's Been A While' off the Staind album 'Break the Cycle' from around 2000... the other popular song off that album was 'Fade'...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Not much to add, really, but I did enjoy it. I'm glad cross is in full effect. I haven't heard New Jack Hustler in I don't know how long. Great tune!

Lou: Great questions, man.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

As I said, I really enjoy the race recaps, but I don't have much in the way of follow-up with it. I can tell you that I had a blast watching the Elite Men at Cross Vegas this week. Those guys were bad-ass fast. Plus they served Sierra Nevada.

I still don't know what you do for a living, but I have a slightly better idea. That's not your fault, though as I don't have much computer knowledge. I just say you're a fluffer because you talk about early releases.

Did the toy make the trip to Baltimore?

With all your love of music, how do you not know Staind? Did you not know the song or just couldn't ID the artist?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
dude, you're a sales guy. sorry man, but you are.

and the guy let you in b/c you're in the audi. he'd never let you in if you were in a KIA.

oh- best person on the road to cut into traffic in front of? the guy who just cut in front of everyone to get in the line.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Music... I mentioned this PA band a couple of weeks ago, we may have been drinking but I remembered it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVF6EMIurY

I was going to try and pull off that they are a new band - but since this is taped from an MTV airing with really young Chris Cornell and a Kim Thayil, I will tell you it was 1996. And uncle Fester VJ guy - he really creeped me out.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How much were we drinking? Doesn't ring a bell. Was it that night we were hanging with Matt/Helen? We kinda drank a lot that night.

I have 2 podcasts with Utah from the weekend. One on the way up, one on the way back. I converted them this morning but forgot to drag them into the ftp program before I left. So they're on my laptop which does you no good at all.

Jake & Luke have both said they want to be on. But I gotta be honest, Utah is the easiest person in the world to get to open up. So it's going to be tough to beat that.

I think a 2 person podcast is the best though. Any more and it becomes difficult.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
And uncle Fester VJ guy - he really creeped me out.

Matthew Pinfield! My younger brother always had this great idea that Matthew Pinfield should have put together an alternative rock-themed line of baby wear. He looks like a giant baby. He started out as a deejay with Eatontown's alt rock station in the 80's. A couple of friends of mine and Imet him once at a Lollapalooza -- the guy knows every obscure fact about every obscure member of every obscure band you could imagine. After listening to him talk about Dinosaur Jr. for like 20 minutes, my one friend just said, "You're a sad little man" and walked away.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so iv been slacking on my comments i got a couple on this one

1) who really cares about getting dirty? i thought we all started out riding mountainbikes, i have yet to come back from a ride clean

2) engineers making a gui will be the simplest possible way to accomplish the goal, we tend to think about function wayyyy before form

Top Bottom