My cog is bigger than yours!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Just got this 25t kicka$$ cog for Nationals at Mt Snow. It sure is pretty. Super thick at the center and light weight. I plan to try it out this week. I'll let all you cog envy types know how it works. This is all a big experiment to me. I am never quite sure how the bike or I will turn out.

pixy

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
ArmyOfNone;26448[QUOTE said:
What is the course at mt snow like?

pulling tree stumps from the earth

...... Well, maybe not that bad if your head is together. 50% of climbing is 90% mental. You would do great AON. If you go and race, I will be cheering for you. Plus there is the drum dude!!

Maurice

I've got one in 17t. I actually took it up the slopes of Mt Snow two years ago, with a 32 up front. For some reason the climbing was not a problem for me, the descending was...

These cogs are surprisingly durable given how light they are; mine is still in good shape.

Maurice

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I've got one in 17t. I actually took it up the slopes of Mt Snow two years ago, with a 32 up front. For some reason the climbing was not a problem for me, the descending was...

These cogs are surprisingly durable given how light they are; mine is still in good shape.

Maurice

Wow, you're my hero !!

Good to hear though. I was assuming that Mt Snow was a tad less extreme than Hidden Valley and picked one gear easier. Since you have done both, how would you compare them?

My thought was to gear light because it is pro distance which is an extra lap than my usual 45+ exp. As for the rooty descent .... I too struggle with it, but I have discs now. For many years I had lost places at Mt Snow on the descent, I finally got to where I could hold my own. Last year with discs was the first time I started to pass riders. ....... Thank you Magura !!! :D

Maurice

I love that descent, I'm bummed not to be able to head out there these coming two years...

Mt. Snow is not as steep as Hidden Valley, but climbs longer. It's OK to run the steeper sections, but with that kind of gearing you probably won't have to.

Looks like a good choice, you should clock fairly consistent lap times.

Maurice

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Ok, pixy reporting back on the Mt Snow gearing experiment....

I took a practice lap with gears and 32x25 and felt good with both. I noticed a few pros racing in the pro fields on SS with small chain rings. Looked like 22/24 x 17/18ish. 22x18 is a tad lighter than 32x25.

The conditions were a bit more muddy by race day, but I stuck with 32x25 reguardless. I felt good on my first lap, but the wet conditions forced me to stay seated, and on lap 2 I had to walk the top of a few climbs that were greasy. Walking breaks my mental stride, so I think I would have been better with the small chain ring, but I made due with what I had and climbed my heart out where I could, trying to not give in.

It was pretty grueling, but well worth the efforts, and I had a chance to dable in the pro field. Pretty cool experience overall, but I don't plan to do this all the time.

And to answer this ...
Are you pulling tree stumps from the earth??
Yes. It was hard to see what you running into with all that mud. At one point I did stop to remove some muddy wood looking debris that may very well have been a tree stump.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Good stuff.

VT and a SS makes for sore knees.

I have been off the SS bike for a few weeks. I built a 29er with Paul's thumbies. I am more impressed with cool brakes than with cool gears.

I love the Magura's. Especially with the big rotors.

In reality I need 4 gears.

34 X 18,19,20 and 34.

These are the gears that see use on my bike.

I am back to the SS as I got an outragous offer to sell my bike today which I might take..

j

Top Bottom