must ride parks within 45 minutes of Medford

bmwpowere36m3

going down end of March to visit Wife's friends. What's a must ride area with 45 minutes of Medford? Something with a good mix of XC, trail, tech, skinnies, drops, rollers, rocks, etc...

robcleary

I agree, Wiss is probably your best bet (but honestly it'll probably take an hour with Philly traffic. It's about 40ish from me and I'm in Cherry Hill). But Wiss is well worth the drive, the riding there is some of the best in the area imo. Beyond that you also have Allaire's going the other direction, about an hour as well, and 6 Mile Run (also just over an hour).

If you don't wanna drive an hour, your options are Camden County College, Black Run, or Ceres (which I don't recommend unless you don't mind getting a little lost lol). CCC has a bit more flow than Black Run imo, but they're both pretty XC focused (not a lot of DH or tech). Ceres is a bit bigger feature wise but also very backwoods-y these days.

But Wiss/Allaire's/6 Mile Run (if it's dry enough by then) are the best of the bunch imo.

Mahnken

Wiss would definitely be the must ride in the area if you're willing to go a little past the 45 minute drive. You'll be closest to black run, but it's probably the mildest of the bunch. CCC and Cere's are closer than wiss, and more fun than black run, but I don't think I'd consider them must ride parks.

JDurk

going down end of March to visit Wife's friends. What's a must ride area with 45 minutes of Medford? Something with a good mix of XC, trail, tech, skinnies, drops, rollers, rocks, etc...
Where are you coming from, what type of riding do you have local to you and what bike(s) do you ride? Southern NJ has no rocks and I wouldn't call any locations must rides. As has been mentioned, if you want tech, Wissahickon in Philly or Brandywine in Wilmington, DE can supply plenty.

bmwpowere36m3

Wiss (without traffic) kinda
I agree, Wiss is probably your best bet (but honestly it'll probably take an hour with Philly traffic. It's about 40ish from me and I'm in Cherry Hill). But Wiss is well worth the drive, the riding there is some of the best in the area imo. Beyond that you also have Allaire's going the other direction, about an hour as well, and 6 Mile Run (also just over an hour).

If you don't wanna drive an hour, your options are Camden County College, Black Run, or Ceres (which I don't recommend unless you don't mind getting a little lost lol). CCC has a bit more flow than Black Run imo, but they're both pretty XC focused (not a lot of DH or tech). Ceres is a bit bigger feature wise but also very backwoods-y these days.

But Wiss/Allaire's/6 Mile Run (if it's dry enough by then) are the best of the bunch imo.
Wiss would definitely be the must ride in the area if you're willing to go a little past the 45 minute drive. You'll be closest to black run, but it's probably the mildest of the bunch. CCC and Cere's are closer than wiss, and more fun than black run, but I don't think I'd consider them must ride parks.

Thanks guys... I did glance at Wiss and it was just outside my "45 min window", but that can be stretched to an hour. It did seem most was XC-focused nearby. Anyone been to Belmont (Fairmount Park), seemed interesting... though likely very XC'ish as well. Allaire was another, again being an hour out.

How would you compare Allaire vs. Wiss?

bmwpowere36m3

Where are you coming from, what type of riding do you have local to you and what bike(s) do you ride? Southern NJ has no rocks and I wouldn't call any locations must rides. As has been mentioned, if you want tech, Wissahickon in Philly or Brandywine in Wilmington, DE can supply plenty.

Full disclosure... my plan is to attend Mayhem, first race, and looking for some riding afterwards or Sunday. I'm riding a Yeti SB115, coming down from CT. I would say I ride a bit of everything, but haven't hit a bike park yet or any "real" DH. Mountain Creek and Powder Ridge are ones I'm targeting for this year. Mostly lots of natural trails with rocks and roots, some manicured ones and features sprinkled in.

The plan isn't to stop down along the way, so it would be either while in Medford or on the way back to CT.

JDurk

Mayhem course will bore you enough with it's flat, lack of tech, sand roads and trails. FYI, if I race Mayhem, it would be on a rigid SS. Maybe look for something along the way back to CT in northern NJ for the tech.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I take it as the Wiss > Allaire

Personal preference I guess. Wiss on the weekend can & probably will be a madhouse with hikers. Consider this park is within the city limits of Philly and you can imagine how crowded it gets. I think we would be remiss (re-wiss? sorry) in not pointing that out.

Allaire you will need a guide. I have lived in this state my whole life and I still don't know how to navigate that place.

What do you ride in CT? If you're coming from, let's say Rockland Preserve, and going to south Jersey, you'll need to adjust expectations a lot.

robcleary

I haven't gotten over to Allaire's but Wiss has loads of tech (for this area). It's got some spicy rock rolls and a couple of chutes (Widowmaker and 7mph). Lots of little tech sections sprinkled in. Yellow trail is easier and White Trail will make you walk your bike on some spots, but they're both excellent. If you're there on a weekend there's a coffee/bike shop halfway around called "Paper Mill" for a mid ride stop.

I agree with Jdurk though if you want more New England esc rocky tech then stopping on the way back in North Jersey is probably a better bet.

bmwpowere36m3

Mayhem course will bore you enough with it's flat, lack of tech, sand roads and trails. FYI, if I race Mayhem, it would be on a rigid SS. Maybe look for something along the way back to CT in northern NJ for the tech.

If I could race my gravel bike... that would be more than enough from the sounds of the event 😂Anyway, its a nice way to get my feet wet and an excuse for the wife to see friends... so win, win.

bmwpowere36m3

Personal preference I guess. Wiss on the weekend can & probably will be a madhouse with hikers. Consider this park is within the city limits of Philly and you can imagine how crowded it gets. I think we would be remiss (re-wiss? sorry) in not pointing that out.

Allaire you will need a guide. I have lived in this state my whole life and I still don't know how to navigate that place.

What do you ride in CT? If you're coming from, let's say Rockland Preserve, and going to south Jersey, you'll need to adjust expectations a lot.

That's a good point on traffic... like I said above, lots of natural trails, tight twisty, rocks, roots, features, some up/downs, some manicured. Places like Rockhouse, Quillian Reserve, Indian Ledge (trumbull), Paugussett (upper/lower), West Rock, etc...

Any day on the bike is good... just looking to get out, as this is a "bonus" ride. Primary purpose is visit friends and participate in Mayhem.

JDurk

That's a good point on traffic... like I said above, lots of natural trails, tight twisty, rocks, roots, features, some up/downs, some manicured. Places like Rockhouse, Quillian Reserve, Indian Ledge (trumbull), Paugussett (upper/lower), West Rock, etc...

Any day on the bike is good... just looking to get out, as this is a "bonus" ride. Primary purpose is visit friends and participate in Mayhem.
Wiss will check all your boxes then. 45ish minutes from the Mayhem course for reference, since Medford is a pretty large area. As I mentioned above, go early to avoid the traffic through the city and the crowds. Know that the return trip back to Medford will be longer in Philly. Park here for car safety and quick on/off the Schuylkill Expressway. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/YMC...80f1ef!2m2!1d-74.7948818!2d39.8494506!1m0!3e0
I recommend starting at the trailhead on the east side of Lincoln Dr and going CCW around the park. Use Trailforks. There are trails that are off limits to bikes throughout the park. Post up as it get's closer and maybe someone on here will join you to show you around.

Last edited:

krink

Eddie Munster
Thanks guys... I did glance at Wiss and it was just outside my "45 min window", but that can be stretched to an hour. It did seem most was XC-focused nearby. Anyone been to Belmont (Fairmount Park), seemed interesting... though likely very XC'ish as well. Allaire was another, again being an hour out.

How would you compare Allaire vs. Wiss?
This sort of made me spit out my Cheerios. There really isn’t a comparison between Allaire and Wiss. IMHO the elevation, technical challenge and overall ride is significantly better at Wissahickon than Allaire. The crowds on weekends at Wissahickon is a valid point, but the crowds at Allaire on weekends may actually be more.

thegock

This sort of made me spit out my Cheerios. There really isn’t a comparison between Allaire and Wiss. IMHO the elevation, technical challenge and overall ride is significantly better at Wissahickon than Allaire. The crowds on weekends at Wissahickon is a valid point, but the crowds at Allaire on weekends may actually be more.

Allaire is relatively huge (some non sanctioned, esp on Sunday) and you won't see any hikers, just North Jersey MTBs beginning a half mile from the Hospital Rd parking lot.

Wiss has actual elevation and tech, doe.

SHAM POOT PXL_20220124_181355393-02.jpg

Gnick

ill play a bit of devil's advocate

if you have someone that knows where they're going, Allaire can be very challenging from a skill perspective. You're not going to find any real hard climbs, but there are plenty of drops that most of the guys on this forum wouldn't be able to ride. Also, it's a great place to practice railing your hard flat corners, and there are some steeper chutes and even some roots if you know where to look. Most people only know of tiger woods.

I can't say I've seen any of these "big drops, rock rolls, etc." at Wiss that people are talking about. Most of what I see are XC guys that want to gut out a tough climb and ride the brakes down some moderately chunky downhills. Plus you're dodging hikers constantly. The parking lot at Allaire will be full on a weekend, but you'll hardly see anyone on a ride other than in the jump areas.

I've ridden Allaire hundreds of times, but Wiss only 8-10 times. I like Wiss for conditioning, but Allaire is more fun to session stuff. I love Trumbull in CT, I used to live up there. That was a great place to session stuff.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Newark DE is an hour and change from Medford.
That gives you MiddleRun-WhiteClay and Fair Hill.
Iron Hill too.

Less crowded than Wiss. Mostly less traffic than the Schuylkill.

Top Bottom