Music

njmark

Professional Cyclist
New DBT album, for a quickly thrown together, socially distant record it still holds up. I'd have left The Ramones cover off but they do a good cover of it. And Caroline Rose because sometimes I need to feel good.

Attachments

• DBT-The-New-OK-cover.png
    DBT-The-New-OK-cover.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Superstar_Caroline Rose.jpg
    Superstar_Caroline Rose.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I keep a running list of things I want to hear, especially on vinyl.
On that list has been early Fleetwood Mac- the pre-Stevie blues band era.
(No dig on Stevie)

Today I found this at the disc shop-
It was a no brainer.
FE29E9B4-5F2F-4147-8072-691B968FD20F.jpeg
Basically a greatest hits album from 68-71, re-issue from Music on Vinyl in the UK.
Told my guy what I was looking for, he says it’s the only album I need.
He might be right, except it’s only a single LP.
Lol.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Cleaning out old photos and found this. Me and the wall of my college dorm room, circa 1981. Stranglers, Clash and 999 in the house!
36E6C451-B698-4613-892A-1C32160F5A68.jpeg

If you can find this album of punk remakes, it’s golden. I still have an original vinyl copy.
E25DED80-32CD-4609-A99F-23EF09B58504.jpeg

The Stranglers’ version of Walk On By (originally written by Burt Bacharach for Dionne Warwick) is amazing.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
A roadie friend recently posted Steps his IG story and about 30 seconds later I served it up on my phone. I was quickly taken back to my HS years ('92-'96) and I think Snapcase largely defined that time, mainly since their prime overlapped it. I also played drums and by 10th or 11th grade was playing in a hardcore band. From a musical perspective, Snapcase offered something different then the other Victory Bands / hardcore bands of the time. Specifically how tight there playing was and how well the drums and guitars played off each other. When you saw them live, it sounded exactly the same as the album and not-a-beat was missed. Given the complexity of some of their rhythms, this never ceased to impress. I think Steps and Progression through Unlearning, brought Syracuse hardcore to a different level. How do you not bop you head to the opening song on Steps? Also, She Suffocates is definitely on my top 10 hardcore songs of all time.

Also, I was drawn to punk/hardcore because it meant something, had a meaning, and Snapcase's songs had that without being like YOU SHOULD DO THIS NOW, which is how the typical sXe band I listened too seemed to be. Like how spot-on is this 20 years later?

She Suffocates
We don't see her beyond her molded worth
Is she accepted or rejected
We consume her shell
She must refuse his pride
This world she must defy
Defy
They will sell her as a mindless games
And you're a winner when you own her
What we expect is vain
Doors don't open as she suffocates
And she will teach us and make some change
But we don't learn a thing
We don't see her
We don't see her
We'll consume her
But we don't see her

I remember seeing them at some fire hall in Carlisle, PA, which had no stage and your standing next to these guys as they play the songs you loved. Seems like another lifetime at this point...

Lookingglassself 1994

Steps 1996

Progression through Unlearning 1997

Designs for Automation 2000

End Transmission 2002

rick81721

Lothar
A roadie friend recently posted Steps his IG story and about 30 seconds later I served it up on my phone. I was quickly taken back to my HS years ('92-'96) and I think Snapcase largely defined that time, mainly since their prime overlapped it. I also played drums and by 10th or 11th grade was playing in a hardcore band. From a musical perspective, Snapcase offered something different then the other Victory Bands / hardcore bands of the time. Specifically how tight there playing was and how well the drums and guitars played off each other. When you saw them live, it sounded exactly the same as the album and not-a-beat was missed. Given the complexity of some of their rhythms, this never ceased to impress. I think Steps and Progression through Unlearning, brought Syracuse hardcore to a different level. How do you not bop you head to the opening song on Steps? Also, She Suffocates is definitely on my top 10 hardcore songs of all time.

Also, I was drawn to punk/hardcore because it meant something, had a meaning, and Snapcase's songs had that without being like YOU SHOULD DO THIS NOW, which is how the typical sXe band I listened too seemed to be. Like how spot-on is this 20 years later?

She Suffocates
We consume her shell
This world she must defy
Defy
What we expect is vain
We don't see her
We don't see her
We'll consume her
But we don't see her

I remember seeing them at some fire hall in Carlisle, PA, which had no stage and your standing next to these guys as they play the songs you loved. Seems like another lifetime at this point...

Lookingglassself 1994

Steps 1996

End Transmission 2002

1. Post was far too long
2. I listened to 2 minutes of one link - they suck!

TimBay

She Suffocates
We consume her shell
This world she must defy
Defy
What we expect is vain
We don't see her
We don't see her
We'll consume her
But we don't see her

Lookingglassself 1994

Steps 1996

End Transmission 2002

I miss local hall shows (fire halls, vfws, lodges, churches). I wonder if kids were still doing those pre-covid. It was definitely falling off in my band days around 05-06. Replaced by crappy little venues with similar quality PAs

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I miss local hall shows (fire halls, vfws, lodges, churches). I wonder if kids were still doing those pre-covid. It was definitely falling off in my band days around 05-06. Replaced by crappy little venues with similar quality PAs
Every now and then I see some advertisements for a smaller shows, however I am not even remotely engaged in that scene. That being said, it seems like it is something of the past, most likely the liability monster got them.

in York, PA, we had a few go-to's, a fire hall in Red Lion, which was basically a local-only affair , a fire hall outside of lancaster which drew some of the mid-level bands and the Chameleon in Lancaster, which was the big time, mainly due to the promoters in that area and their being something of a scene. Due to the close proximity to Philly / Baltimore / NYC, it was a main stop for the bigger bands. Somehow we weren't involved in the Baltimore scene, mainly because i think they went to DC.

We would do Philly also, but that seemed so wild at the time. Little did I know, City Gardens was almost the same distance from York (two hours). Missed opportunity..

Captain Brainstorm

Greatest debut album ever:

View attachment 143170
Was there even a follow-up to the debut? Laugh all you want, but Reb Beach was (still is) a great guitarist. Seventeen was one of the many songs I learned back in the day strictly to impress the ladies, and I loved my hair-metal ladies, so I will always be in debt to Winger for that. Then grunge came along, and made that job even easier by several orders of magnitude.

rick81721

Lothar
Was there even a follow-up to the debut? Laugh all you want, but Reb Beach was (still is) a great guitarist. Seventeen was one of the many songs I learned back in the day strictly to impress the ladies, and I loved my hair-metal ladies, so I will always be in debt to Winger for that. Then grunge came along, and made that job even easier by several orders of magnitude.

Yeah they had a few more albums but the first was the best - I still listen to it. In fact, I just listened to the entire album today driving from Fayetteville to Jacksonville. And agree about Reb - his solo on Hangin' On is short but absolute perfection.

Captain Brainstorm

Yeah they had a few more albums but the first was the best - I still listen to it. In fact, I just listened to the entire album today driving from Fayetteville to Jacksonville. And agree about Reb - his solo on Hangin' On is short but absolute perfection.
But you know who is even better than Reb? Vito Bratta (I dare not mention his bands name). Don’t know if he still plays though. Last I heard he opened a pizzeria in Staten Island.

Top Bottom