Muscle Recovery

betta285

After 2+ hr. rides, my arms and legs get pretty sore and remain sore for a day or two, especially if I was really moving. During the following days, when i ride I feel like I'm not performing at an optimal level, and it only adds to my soreness. Cardio wise I feel fine, it is just my muscles that get drained. I try to get enough sleep, get protein form meats and eggs, and stay hydrated with water. Beyond that, what should I do to speed up my recovery time/ease soreness? Try Whey Protein? Ride for shorter periods of time/less strenuously? Suck it up and love the pain? Thanks for any help!

Jim

ArmyOfNone

How long have you been riding? For me, it took me a while to recover from longer rides. Once you get a few under your belt you should recover faster. 20 mile road rides used to be hell!!!

Every ride doesnt need to be a hammerfest or death march. Mix in some shorter slower rides to help you recover.

The Kalmyk

I'm not super fast on a bike but I can put in good miles and not have much soreness...I attribute this to my stretching routine

pinkshirtphotos

i have been sore recently too, but it's my own fault. i ran 2 miles in gym class yesterday... first time running since beginning of summer. then when i got home rode about 20 miles on my dirtbike. My body was not happy with me today.

THATmanMANNY

endurox

get some!

does the trick everytime when I know I've been depleted completely and I still want to do something the next day. It's a quick fix. Otherwise, I will try to replenish my energy with foods.

rocknrollgirl

I am no expert but...here is my 2 cents:

1. Like Fred said...not every ride needs to be a hammerfest

2. You have a 30-60 min window after you finish to replace the glycogen stores in your muscles. If you replace those stores, you will recover more quickly. The optimum recovery formula is 4:1 carbohydrate to protein. Whey protein is excellent, endurox works good, and so does plain old chocolate milk.

3. Stretch, stretch and stretch some more.

betta285

I've only been riding seriously for about three months now, so I guess my body still has some getting used to. I definitely have to incorporate some stretching into my routine, too. Thanks for the advice, guys.

MTBTyler

Im just a beginner also. What I do before a long ride is:
1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep and wake up by alarm.
2. Eat a big breakfast.
3. Drink a 20oz bottle of water an hour before the ride.
4. Ride in the parking lot for 5min (dont stop petaling)
5. Strech your legs, arms and back.
6. First half mile be a trail snail.

Tip- Keep in a semi-high gear. More power and less winding out keeps you awake. Dont over rev your legs! hahaha :drooling:

Try daily stretching??:hmmm:

frickster

Im just a beginner also. What I do before a long ride is:
1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep and wake up by alarm.
2. Eat a big breakfast.
3. Drink a 20oz bottle of water an hour before the ride.
4. Ride in the parking lot for 5min (dont stop petaling)
5. Strech your legs, arms and back.
6. First half mile be a trail snail.

Tip- Keep in a semi-high gear. More power and less winding out keeps you awake. Dont over rev your legs! hahaha :drooling:

Try daily stretching??:hmmm:

Above is all excellent advice. You don't have to follow it religiously but it's absolutely the right general idea! One thing I'd really caution against that I've heard of people doing, is taking large doses of ibuprofen before heavy exercise to prevent subsequent pain. This is potentially damaging to your kidneys especially if you get dehydrated. Consider this all free medical advice -- no copay (I'm an MD)!!

MTBTyler

Yeah taking to much advil. Will do ya wrong in the long run. Ask my mother, see used to take it all the time for head aces. Now when she takes it, it doesnt work at all. Sex helps:D And finally someone comments me!!! Thanks frickster:)

dhsean

Ice afterwards. Can't recover until you reduce the swelling.
Also stretching after exercise - not before.
Deep tissue massage if you can afford it.

Now its time to practice what I preach. :D

betta285

Sex. Night before, pre-ride and after.
So the more my girlfriend rides the better I get at riding?
Wish the same went for Calculus.:D

Ice afterwards. Can't recover until you reduce the swelling.
Also stretching after exercise - not before.
Deep tissue massage if you can afford it.

Now its time to practice what I preach.

With tuition going up, I can't even afford shallow tissue massage:hysterica
Did I mention I am a comedian?;)

xc62701

2. You have a 30-60 min window after you finish to replace the glycogen stores in your muscles. If you replace those stores, you will recover more quickly. The optimum recovery formula is 4:1 carbohydrate to protein. Whey protein is excellent, endurox works good, and so does plain old chocolate milk.

Most research says you have 30 minutes MAX. Get that recovery food in ASAP

Top Bottom