MTBNJ Group Ride: Chimney Rock, 8/2

Walter,

Thanks for the link.

How about that, MTBR has some useful Jersey info! :rofl: Looks like it will be too late to help. Maybe I can grab one if the hub really takes a dive.

Tim

great ride today folks! we started out with about 20 people so i'd say it was a great success.

CR Synopsis

Jake, you beat me to it. I am slightly wordier though, so here is my synopsis:

Today's ride had a larger turnout than I ever expected. Please let me know what you thought and post any comments here. I would like to do more group rides, and I'd like feedback so that I can continue to have a great turnout and even more fun in the future!

Raindrops threatened us on the way to CR, but by the time everyone gathered, the raindrops stopped and held off for now. Our group consisted of 20 people. Does mtbnj.com have any HIPPA laws? Too bad...hooples3, scotth, land rew, antgold, mst.esq, mike679, crashcanipe, wobbegong, reidonius, mrwebby, m3tim, ellenserruto, xristovox, thatmanny, jake, me, and 4 others who aren't mtbnj.com members (yet) took off to take over the trails for a few hours. At certain points we split and did some different trails, but pretty much regrouped and rode together again. Most people did about 8 miles (in case you are dying to know). Those who kept riding at the end, once the thunder, lightning, and down pour began, we did about 10 - 11 miles. By this point, the rain felt pretty awesome and had this place not been so dang rocky, we would have kept going. Although it was apparently a bit too much for GT. Yup, the rumors were true...there was in fact a GT demo today. They were there, we went in and rode 15 minutes, came out and GT was gone. Poor GT. I guess their day wasn't as successful. Maybe next time.

Luckily no major crashes, mechanicals, fist fights, or othermishaps. I do have a few photos to post, but I have to upload them at work, as this home computer kind of sucks. Monday, first thing. I promise, since I Have NOTHING else to do at work (believe it or not, for once I am not being sarcastic).

Thanks to everyone for coming out today. We had a great group and I hope you all had fun!

Last edited:
I had a very good time today at Chimney rock. It was only my second time there and I guess I forgot how much those rocks take out of you!!
Thank you Marianne for leading us. I know it must have been hard with so many people but you did an excellent job.
It was also great to meet some of the MTBNJ members today( I told you I would forget names). I have always wanted to go on some group rides and now I finally have. also alex (?) thanks for the personal tour through the other sections.
also to the guy who is trying so desperately to break his Trek so that he can get a new bike. If you are interested in coming to brooklyn to check out the Marins just shoot me an email at hooples3@aol.com. We can set something up anmd I can meet you at the shop. meanwhile I will check what they have in stock.
which model where you looking at? and what size do you think you need??

Thank everyone and hope to see you soon on the trail

George

Really fun ride this morning everyone. 20 riders at the start was impressive. Thanks to Mare for leading the ride. Fun little loop at the end trying to stay ahead of the deluge. I was thinking about it and CR is really an ideal place to have a group that large as you can have several loops begin and end at the parking lot allowing people to decide if they want to keep going or call it a day.

Two MTBNJ rides in a row for me. I feel like a social-type these days. Off to the Outer Banks for a week, but will definitely try to show up to a few more of these things.

Mike

Hey everyone,

Really enjoyed the ride this morning. I got to "christen" the new bike and it was definitely a fun way to get (back) into MTBing and meet some folks. Some of those climbs were a bit of a challenge (especially in the first circuit), but overall I love that kind of terrain, navigating rocks and roots and even letting gravity do a bit of work once in a while, to make up for the climbs :) I think I even got better at keeping my feet on the pedals and off the ground by the end of the morning.

I agree with Mike, that was a nice format, doing a sequence of short loops so people can leave when they need to, and nobody can ever get too far behind (I say this as a guy who mostly hung around the back of the pack :eek:). Maybe knowing that in advance will/would encourage people to commit to the group rides consistently, since people were saying usually there isn't such a turnout.

I'm looking forward to joining in next time there's a ride nearby. Thanks Marianne for taking us all out, and nice meeting you all.

After witnessing some of the nice bike setups we had in the group, a few of us Latinos jokingly realized we were the only ones sporting Mongooses...mmmh. :D

(most of us...)

Jokes aside, It was a great ride and great group to ride with.

After witnessing some of the nice bike setups we had in the group, a few of us Latinos jokingly realized we were the only ones sporting Mongooses...mmmh. :D

(most of us...)

DOOOOD, I used to ride a Mongoose Zero-G (aka the beast for being 35 pounds and not needing to replace anything) for the past 6 years! I don't hate! That lasted me 6 years with habitual riding and whatever it did the job. For half off at sports authority and I never had to replace anything. Can't beat that. And I still have it! It made it out of Diablo. No joke.

However, the new Mongoose's are SICK!
Old school is new school and new school is so old school.
COME BACK???

(most of us...)

dude, it's not what you ride, but how you ride it and more importantly, how much fun you have doing it.

Great group ride yesteday ... nice to see/meet everyone...glad we avoided the rain - mostly...but we definitely did not miss the rocks or roots! thanks Marianne for taking the lead and herding us about .... look forward to another ride soon. ;)

Great first ride at Chimney Rock. I like the way Mare45 wanted to keep the group togther, and made it easy for people to leave when their time was up. I read in a magazine about wraping tape aroung your seatpost for who knows what, one guy had tape and he saved someones day. Hope to ride with you all again. I thought I was going to be the only person with white socks, but thankfully someone else showed up with a pair. Take Care

Regards,
Scott

that would be JORBA's very own wobblegong, aka jonny on the spot, who helped the ladies from marty's out with some redneck seat fixin' knowledge.

A few pics

Here are a few pics from Sunday. There's a big group shot, the group getting smaller, and a few happy folks at the end...

Attachments

• mtbnj CR Ride1.jpg
    mtbnj CR Ride1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 181
  • mtbnj CR Ride2.jpg
    mtbnj CR Ride2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 180
  • mtbnj CR Ride3.jpg
    mtbnj CR Ride3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 177
Time

Everyone seemed to make it considering the start was 9 a.m., but most people had to bolt. Would it be easier if the next ride began at 8, or does the early start deter people? My guess is this will go 50/50, but I will do what works best for the majority.

i think there were two total, myself included. sadly, i was the lone single speeder. :(

Back
Top Bottom