MTB'er run over by a deer????

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Club Message from:The North Jersey Bicycle Assoc.

A friend of Ron Spechler was injured this week at Graham Hills on his
mountain bike. He was run over by a DEER!!!
Ron says he still can't get over it so I thought I'd pass it along. Both
the bike and his leg were damaged--but both should make a full recovery.

I got this email from a friend this morning.....WTF????
Is it true, anybody else heard this?
I would love to hear the details about this one

reminded me of this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8lDBKApM0U

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I could see this happening especially if a deer got spooked and was running around like a nut. Crazy!

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Sawe it happen once at the Tourne about ten years ago. funniest damn thing I ever saw. Gald I was not the one getting hit

ArmyOfNone

ChrisG can better comment on this better than I. But i remember him telling me a story about someone he knew getting hit by a deer on the road and causing some pretty good damage. I for sure would NOT like to get hit by one of them.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yeah, this was not good

ChrisG can better comment on this better than I. But i remember him telling me a story about someone he knew getting hit by a deer on the road and causing some pretty good damage. I for sure would NOT like to get hit by one of them.
A couple of years ago, a teammate of mine was doing the annual Twin Lights road ride, which starts/finishes by Hartshorne Woods. As the group she was in made their way along the woods at the finish of the ride, a deer came barreling out the woods and hit her full-on, broadside.

She was slammed straight to the ground and suffered a fractured pelvis and a bunch of broken bones in her upper body, resulting in a helicopter ride to Newark and a long, painful rehab. We're talking about a mother of five, in her early 40's.

Thankfully, she made a full recovery, was on the bike again about six months later, and actually returned to road racing eventually.

When deer run across your path, look where they came from, not where they go. Ya gotta worry about their buddies who are coming along behind, you know?

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I've wondered if this happens or not. I was riding in Mahlon Dickerson with a friend ahead of me and i saw an approximate 8 point buck about to collide with my friend ahead of me, i yelled to him and he stopped in time. He didn't see it coming, it would have been bad.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Club Message from:The North Jersey Bicycle Assoc.

A friend of Ron Spechler was injured this week at Graham Hills on his
mountain bike. He was run over by a DEER!!!
Ron says he still can't get over it so I thought I'd pass it along. Both
the bike and his leg were damaged--but both should make a full recovery.

I got this email from a friend this morning.....WTF????
Is it true, anybody else heard this?
I would love to hear the details about this one

reminded me of this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8lDBKApM0U

I almost got blindsided by 8 turkeys in Allamuchy! That was weird!!!

Also a few years ago, a dude I know of at Picatinny was nailed by a goose while on a roadbike. He was severely injured at the time and had to be medivaced to Morristown. He's okay now but for those interested, the goose died.

EpicRidr

it happens

My son just missed getting run over by a deer up on Schooley's Mountain (road riding). I've come close in the woods, too, once falling while avoiding one of the tall rats. I've also come within a couple feet of a black bear collision, but at least they're usually moving at a leisurely pace. Still, how do you think they'd take getting run into?

Top Bottom