Mtb Vehicles

kidzach

Cars are so useless. If you can't store a mtb in it why own it. Might as well get a motorcycle then.

Attachments

• 2012-Infiniti-FX35-SUV-Base-4dr-4x2-Exterior-Profile.png.jpg
    2012-Infiniti-FX35-SUV-Base-4dr-4x2-Exterior-Profile.png.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 68

Ian F

If you aren't afraid to wrench you can get a retired taxi transit connect for like 2k.

A few of my friends have Transit Connects. One bought one a few days ago. It's the minivan for guys who don't want a minivan. The side effect of that is it's compromised as a minivan. It's also smaller - even the LWB model has a cargo length of 87.6". The GC can get a 8' sheet of plywood inside. Another thing - the 15.8 gallon fuel tank would be a PITA for the driving I do (the GC has a 20 gal tank). And the V6 in the GC has a lot more power with similar fuel mileage. Lastly, the Connect lacks two features (not even shown as options) that I use in my GC GT a lot - remote start and heated steering wheel. Two things I never thought I'd care much about, but now that I've gotten used to them I wouldn't want to go without them.

The Grand Caravan GT was a fleet trim sold mainly to rental companies. Mine was an ex-Enterprise rental. It had just under 25K miles on it when I bought it in July 2018. It'll pass 70K next week. So far I've done nothing to it other than oil changes and a set of tires (since I didn't like the cheap ones it came with).

I have another van as well - a giant 1992 Ford E-350 extended length, raised roof conversion van with a 7.3L IDI (non-turbo) diesel. I bought it a couple of years ago to convert into a bike-hauler and camper. However, I've come to realize I simply don't have the time nor space right now to do that conversion, so I'll be selling it soon. It'll go along with my 2003 TDI wagon, which I haven't touched in about 6 years. While I'll miss the ~50 MPG of the TDI, as mentioned - gas is cheap right now. And the minivan serves my current needs better. I have my 2006 MINI (along with the aforementioned GT6 as well as a Spitfire) when I need to scratch the "drive something fun" itch. But as a pure appliance, the minivan is hard to beat.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
A few of my friends have Transit Connects. One bought one a few days ago. It's the minivan for guys who don't want a minivan. The side effect of that is it's compromised as a minivan. It's also smaller - even the LWB model has a cargo length of 87.6". The GC can get a 8' sheet of plywood inside. Another thing - the 15.8 gallon fuel tank would be a PITA for the driving I do (the GC has a 20 gal tank). And the V6 in the GC has a lot more power with similar fuel mileage. Lastly, the Connect lacks two features (not even shown as options) that I use in my GC GT a lot - remote start and heated steering wheel. Two things I never thought I'd care much about, but now that I've gotten used to them I wouldn't want to go without them.

The Grand Caravan GT was a fleet trim sold mainly to rental companies. Mine was an ex-Enterprise rental. It had just under 25K miles on it when I bought it in July 2018. It'll pass 70K next week. So far I've done nothing to it other than oil changes and a set of tires (since I didn't like the cheap ones it came with).

I have another van as well - a giant 1992 Ford E-350 extended length, raised roof conversion van with a 7.3L IDI (non-turbo) diesel. I bought it a couple of years ago to convert into a bike-hauler and camper. However, I've come to realize I simply don't have the time nor space right now to do that conversion, so I'll be selling it soon. It'll go along with my 2003 TDI wagon, which I haven't touched in about 6 years. While I'll miss the ~50 MPG of the TDI, as mentioned - gas is cheap right now. And the minivan serves my current needs better. I have my 2006 MINI (along with the aforementioned GT6 as well as a Spitfire) when I need to scratch the "drive something fun" itch. But as a pure appliance, the minivan is hard to beat.

I am experienced enough to know don't try things you can't afford or don't want pay for

JerseyPete

I have my 2006 MINI (along with the aforementioned GT6 as well as a Spitfire) when I need to scratch the "drive something fun" itch. But as a pure appliance, the minivan is hard to beat.
Year and pictures of both Triumph? My brother had early 60's Spitfires and Midgets and B's. I had B's and 914's and came close to a GT6+. Too hot inside and I am a convertible type.

Ian F

I am experienced enough to know don't try things you can't afford or don't want pay for
Well, for better or worse, I can afford to pay for things, but the trick these days is finding someone who will actually do what I want to the specs I want. So the DIY route is often what I'm forced to do. It's why pretty much all of my bikes are custom spec's. I'm a picky PITA.

But right now I have to choose how to spend what little time I have and a house renovation recently shot up the priority list, so some of the car projects have to be delayed.

ryderX

I purchased a Buick TourX and IMHO it’s the perfect MTB car. It’s a rebadged Opel Insignia Country Tourer and evidently there is only 1 thing worse here the USA than driving a minivan- and that’s driving a station wagon. Buick couldn’t give these things away so they discounted them 25-30% before you even sat down at the salespersons desk. Mine listed for 42k and after a bit of wheeling and dealing I drove off the lot for 28.5 + T&T. It’s great car, plenty of room and I can fit my road bike or CX in the back when the seats are folded down.
https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal/tourx

Last edited:

kidzach

I purchased a Buick TourX and IMHO it’s the perfect MTB car. It’s a rebadged Opel Insignia Country Tourer and evidently there is only 1 thing worse here the USA than driving a minivan- and that’s driving a station wagon. Buick couldn’t give these things away so they discounted them 25-30% before you even sat down at the salespersons desk. Mine listed for 42k and after a bit of wheeling and dealing I drove off the lot for 28.5 + T&T. It’s great car, plenty of room and I can fit my road bike or CX in the back when the seats are folded down.
nice looking ride

bergsnj

I have another van as well - a giant 1992 Ford E-350 extended length, raised roof conversion van with a 7.3L IDI (non-turbo) diesel. I bought it a couple of years ago to convert into a bike-hauler and camper. .

sounds awesome, too bad you won't be able to complete the project.

Ian F

Year and pictures of both Triumph? My brother had early 60's Spitfires and Midgets and B's. I had B's and 914's and came close to a GT6+. Too hot inside and I am a convertible type.

The GT6 is a 1972. I bought it in 2012. Right now I need to replace the transmission. I have a Ford T-9 conversion kit waiting to go in if I'm ever home long enough.
FB_IMG_13748713864664602 (2).jpg

The Spitfire is a '79 that was originally had rubber bumpers but was converted to chrome by a previous owner. I have a fresh performance engine waiting to go in. But again - time... I bought it almost on a whim because it was really cheap for a rust-free Spitfire with a factory hardtop and an overdrive transmission. At the time, I really didn't need a 3rd old British car. I have a soft top for it, but due to my limited parking right now, it lives outside so the hardtop stays on.

IMAG0003.jpg

I also had a classic Mini, but due to an unfortunate incident, I had to sell it to an associate who could repair it.

FB_IMG_13743568531226587 (2).jpg

Eventually I'll have another classic. I do miss it.

I love the Regal Tour X. I've drooled over them every year at the NYIAS. I keep trying to talk my mother into buying one.

sounds awesome, too bad you won't be able to complete the project.

Yeah... I'm bummed, but it was another impulse buy that was really too much of a project right now. A shame as I was looking for a van like this for literally 20 years. Now I have it, but have to pass it on. I suppose I can post it here when I have it ready to sell in case anyone is interested in taking it on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom