MTB Specific Prescription Glasses

serviceguy

Ah the joy of getting old!

I broke my glasses yesterday and when I put on my old glasses I immediately realized they're no longer working (and by that I mean my vision got crappier in the last 4 years).

That leaves me with only one set of functional prescription glasses (which I fixed this morning) which I also use while riding. Without I can't read anything closer than 3'.

So far I've been lucky and did not break my glasses while riding but I don't want to tempt fate, hence the question...what are vision challenged MTB riders using these days for prescription lenses?
I am not only interested on frame brand or model but also what type lenses treatment maybe beneficial and possibly usable all year long (i.e. polarized, transition etc...).

Oh, and please no fire or Lasik recommendations as neither are a viable option for me!

RobW

I’ve been wanting the same thing.... I’ve been looking at this local company- www.rx-safety.com

They are in middlesex and also known as Phillip Lense. They have some name brands also. Basically you choose the frame and they build your lenses with whatever options you want.

qclabrat

for me it's the lenses that are a fortune, by the time I go hi-index, anti-glare, and tint, the glasses are in the 500-600 range. I did get a set of sports glasses a few years ago and since they are curved around my face, like most sports frames, it distorted my vision like a fish-eye lens. Basically can't use frames like that due to my severe astigmatism. Got no suggestions, except that you get a guarantee from your optician that you won't get distorted vision with what you pick if it is shaped different from your current glasses.

jklett

I got contacts. I had too much of a problem with fogging with the glasses. One thing to check into for the new glasses is to make sure the lenses are impact rated. I had to go that route for work(use regular safety goggles now), it would suck to take a rock to the eye but be a lot worse if the lens shattered.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ray ban ultra light frame with the cheapest lens crafters lenses has been my go to for last 4 years or so . I find most of the cycling or sports related arms to be more straight and can interact with helmet pads when wearing enduro bro or full face helmets.

blackburn1973

Same on Ray Ban ultra-light frames. They're sun glass frames with transition lenses in them from Lenscrafters. I can't deal with separate glasses for day-to-day and biking so just wear them for everything.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seconded. I got Half Jackets with transition lenses. They are awesome.

did you get transitions from oakley? i havent seen that option (havent looked in several years either)
also if they are from oakley are they also polarized? ill never go back to unpolarized lenses

Dingo

I have very bad eyes.... I've tried several brands, and ones with curved lenses distort my vision due to the strong prescription. The ones with a separate insert work best for me. I had Smith Moabs for years, but they are no longer made. Rudy project is another insert type frame. I now have these el cheapo ones from Amazon. Had them filled at my regular optometrist. Honestly they are pretty good for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Sport...&sr=8-7&keywords=sports+prescription++glasses

serviceguy

I used Oakley Zeros i the '90s, I didn't need prescription glasses back then...the Oakley frames are not that expensive and not all the models are wrap-around, prescription lenseses are expensive anyway, I guess the least extravagant the lenses shape the better (cheaper).

RobW

I used Oakley Zeros i the '90s, I didn't need prescription glasses back then...the Oakley frames are not that expensive and not all the models are wrap-around, prescription lenseses are expensive anyway, I guess the least extravagant the lenses shape the better (cheaper).
seriously, click that link and check out the options... wileyx seems to be the way to go. they have ventilation systems and foam to keep dust and shyt out.

dmkalemba

i have wileyx and the biggest issue is the fisheye issue but that is due to the wrap around and how thick they have to make the outside edge of the lense. I don't even have that bad of vision...

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Been using Wiley X with the foam due to fry eyes. No fisheye issues,, but it could just be the prescription. I use Fogtech to prevent them from fogging up.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Glasses? Why? I thought you're supposed to close your eyes when going over an obstacle?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I recently got these from Oakley. I had my local guy make a set of lens' for them. The lens I have are photochromic and progressive. The go from clear to almost black in the direct sun. The frames works as advertised. There is a little button on the frame that pushes the frame off your nose by about 1cm if they begin to fog.

Very pleased with this purchase.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9402?variant=888392342461

Attachments

• 0CDAE89B-9D9C-4D9A-9E8C-C9CD5990A74C.jpeg
    0CDAE89B-9D9C-4D9A-9E8C-C9CD5990A74C.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 195
  • 83DC2080-5396-4A3D-B02F-A260C9E73795.jpeg
    83DC2080-5396-4A3D-B02F-A260C9E73795.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 12BE066E-B016-4641-8BAF-001266BD28D4.jpeg
    12BE066E-B016-4641-8BAF-001266BD28D4.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 200
  • AFEC4CF3-5018-4282-9F64-32875CDDB1A0.jpeg
    AFEC4CF3-5018-4282-9F64-32875CDDB1A0.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 194

RobW

I recently got these from Oakley. I had my local guy make a set of lens' for them. The lens I have are photochromic and progressive. The go from clear to almost black in the direct sun. The frames works as advertised. There is a little button on the frame that pushes the frame off your nose by about 1cm if they begin to fog.

Who’s your lens guy?

mwlikesbikes

I went with a lightweight black Ray Ban frame with progressive lenses from lenscrafters.
Oakleys are great but the proper sunglass frames won’t accept a heavier prescription due to the curve of the lens. (That’s according to the guy at lenscrafters)
Do you have vision coverage? That eases the pain a lot.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's

@jdog is that a blue kissing your face?

Top Bottom