MTB Specific Prescription Glasses

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I had such problems, long time ago until I decided to try lenses. Since then, I don't wear glasses. Anyway, you can look on the internet about your concern, and you will definitely find special glasses for MTB.

1620692428804.png

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I picked up these a few months ago and love them. A bit bulky but very comfortable and secure with a nice field of view. Had them mounted with scratch resistant and anti fog lenses.

rick81721

Lothar
Ah the joy of getting old!

I broke my glasses yesterday and when I put on my old glasses I immediately realized they're no longer working (and by that I mean my vision got crappier in the last 4 years).

That leaves me with only one set of functional prescription glasses (which I fixed this morning) which I also use while riding. Without I can't read anything closer than 3'.

So far I've been lucky and did not break my glasses while riding but I don't want to tempt fate, hence the question...what are vision challenged MTB riders using these days for prescription lenses?
I am not only interested on frame brand or model but also what type lenses treatment maybe beneficial and possibly usable all year long (i.e. polarized, transition etc...).

Oh, and please no fire or Lasik recommendations as neither are a viable option for me!

tenor (14).gif

Ian F

I pretty much always wear my normal glasses. I have a small noggin and I have a difficult time finding frames that fit me. In theory, I could wear my prescription safety glasses while riding, but the side shields severely limit my field of vision, so I pretty much only wear them for work when necessary and they don't leave my survey bag (still better than gawd-awful over-glasses).

Every time I get new glasses, I look for a better option for riding, but so far I have yet to find any sports frames that fit me (they are always way too big).

I sooo wish I could wear contacts...

mfennell

I sooo wish I could wear contacts...

Same. I suffered through for a couple years but it was a constant aggravation.

I have Oakley Half Jacket 2.0s with a light gray tint for riding and love them. The pricing is completely outrageous though. I was lucky to get a decent deal when I got them but when I lost a lens, replacements were more than I paid for the glasses to begin with.

I ended up buying new lenses from SportRx for about 1/2 the price. That's when I discovered the little scam the industry continues to use. They have to give you your prescription but ordering lenses requires your prescription AND the distance between your pupils. Fortunately, I found some on-line tools that seemed to get me close enough.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same. I suffered through for a couple years but it was a constant aggravation.

I have Oakley Half Jacket 2.0s with a light gray tint for riding and love them. The pricing is completely outrageous though. I was lucky to get a decent deal when I got them but when I lost a lens, replacements were more than I paid for the glasses to begin with.

I ended up buying new lenses from SportRx for about 1/2 the price. That's when I discovered the little scam the industry continues to use. They have to give you your prescription but ordering lenses requires your prescription AND the distance between your pupils. Fortunately, I found some on-line tools that seemed to get me close enough.
All of this.

I wanted to try contacts forever so I can get some regular Oakley's at regular prices, but unfortunately my eyes don't like them. My eyes water if there's a ceiling fan in a room. Ended up getting prescription Oakley Half Jackets through Lenscrafters a few years back. I'm pretty sure the total cost was something nuts around $800+, but luckily they pulled some strings with insurance and I paid somewhere around $280 if I remember correctly. Most Online retailers were around $550 otherwise.

I have the opposite problem with a big head. The Oakley arms are super comfortable. I tried one of those cheapo sports options from SportRx and the weren't great. For regular glasses, I just get them from glassesusa.com for under $70 complete.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
So glad this thread exists. I'm transitioning from reading glasses to bi-focals which I have been ignoring my doctor's advise from.

For those with active\MTB glasses that transition does it pass for every day use?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a handful of Oakley frames that anyone can have if they want. I had lasik and they no longer are of use to me. DM me and I’ll send pics.
Also.. just get lasik

Patrick

Staff member
So glad this thread exists. I'm transitioning from reading glasses to bi-focals which I have been ignoring my doctor's advise from.

For those with active\MTB glasses that transition does it pass for every day use?

while not mtb specific, if i do ride with my combo glasses (or drive) it is amazing. i can read the computer, and see things clearly in the distance.
they are graduated, and photochromic. I'm going to pull the trigger on a more durable riding version one of these days.

TheGerd

J - How long ago have you had it done? My wife had it, but I guess there are "refreshers" needed every few years.
I had it when I was 35, 57 now and no issues with the near sightedness it corrected. I do need reading glasses but that’s an age thing. The lasik was some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

chuprinko

I recently got the Rudy Cutlines with the rx insert. So far for road and mtb they have been great. Haven't any anybissues with the insert. Had the prescription cut at my eye doc in Hackettstown. This way I can change the cutline lenses to different colors styles and just use the same rx.

dvaidya

while not mtb specific, if i do ride with my combo glasses (or drive) it is amazing. i can read the computer, and see things clearly in the distance.
they are graduated, and photochromic. I'm going to pull the trigger on a more durable riding version one of these days.
Were the glasses that you were wearing when you showed us around Nassau the combo glasses? Any pointers on where you got them from? I have been riding using either progressive sports glasses or regular which I need for reading only. The sports glasses fog up too much while the regular glasses might go flying in case of a crash so looking for something else.

Patrick

Staff member
Were the glasses that you were wearing when you showed us around Nassau the combo glasses? Any pointers on where you got them from? I have been riding using either progressive sports glasses or regular which I need for reading only. The sports glasses fog up too much while the regular glasses might go flying in case of a crash so looking for something else.

I think I had them ?? Actually "just" Ray-Bans from my eye dr.
IMG_0726.JPG

the other photochromatic pair is non-Rx

Amazon product

Top Bottom