MTB airline bags

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How did you convince the airline to refund the fee?
Told them there was confusion when checking the bike in that it was under the 50lbs, and while it was a bike, was in a case under regulation size and shouldn't have been charged the fee. I have 1 free checked-bag per flight with my United Card.

I mean, slight lie...

Most of the airlines let you fly with a bike box as your checked bag now. So it's $25 or whatever.
Sort of. It still needs to be under 50lbs and under the linear inches rule. Which knocks out almost every bike case. And even if you're right, you can end up in an argument at the check-in. Different airlines are different, but I usually go by United as they are the main Newark airline. From United:

1614540578288.png

So...basically a Brompton...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Don't fly United, the rest of them do it. Even flying to France was $25. I did United once going to Idaho and it was like $400 each way with my fat bike box. Never again.

carvegybe

Told them there was confusion when checking the bike in that it was under the 50lbs, and while it was a bike, was in a case under regulation size and shouldn't have been charged the fee. I have 1 free checked-bag per flight with my United Card.

I mean, slight lie...

Sort of. It still needs to be under 50lbs and under the linear inches rule. Which knocks out almost every bike case. And even if you're right, you can end up in an argument at the check-in. Different airlines are different, but I usually go by United as they are the main Newark airline. From United:

View attachment 152792

So...basically a Brompton...
I have to fly United if I want a non-stop flight to my destination, which I do. But the 158cm linear restriction takes out even the 130L Post Carry bag. I'd understand if this were a general restriction, but it is under "Bicycles". What do they think is the size of an average bicycle, no matter how you fold it?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have to fly United if I want a non-stop flight to my destination, which I do. But the 158cm linear restriction takes out even the 130L Post Carry bag. I'd understand if this were a general restriction, but it is under "Bicycles". What do they think is the size of an average bicycle, no matter how you fold it?

United? Poop. Might as well just light your bike on fire now and buy a new one when you get there.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
check out orucase as well . the b2 is similar to the post case . i have the airport ninja

JPark

The best way to avoid extra baggage fees at Newark is to use the curbside check-in. The guys working there have a tip jar and do not want to piss you off.
I've done this at least a dozen times with an oversized bag. Not massively oversized, but it is over the limit.

carvegybe

Yeah, that's what I was kind of saying. Yes the Post Carry case is oversized, but it doesn't scream OVERSIZED BIKE CASE. In general if it's under the 50lbs, nobody at check-in cares.

The only time I had any issue is Phoenix last year where my flight had a good 20 people on line at check-in with standard bicycle cases because lots of people fly in & out with bikes. Therefore the woman in control knew what our bags were and charged us the "Bike" fee of $150 per bag. Which I got a refund later for when I called the airline.

Every other flight it hasn't been an issue. And even if I had to eat the $150 that one time, I've not paid any fees all the other times I flew.
I exchanged emails with Post Carry co. Case wasn't designed for MTB and my frame is too big.

But the B2-MTB version of this holds promise:

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Top Bottom