MTB airline bags

carvegybe

I would appreciate advice on bike air travel bags to fit a MTB 29er. Need the bag to meet 3 criteria: 1) protect the MTB adequately, 2) be lightweight - trying to make bike and bag fitb under 50lbs so roughly 20lbs for bag and 30lbs for bike - might require putting cassette etc in normal checked luggage, 3) not ridiculously expensive ..ideally below $500.

Thanks

Post Carry is my favorite on the market.

There's a huge thread on here if you search.

Post Carry is my favorite on the market.

There's a huge thread on here if you search.
Thanks. Read the other thread now. Seems quite a lot of disassembly required. The new Scicon Aerocomfort MTB MY19 case fits within weight limits and only requires wheels and handlebar to be removed...but reviews of it are sparse.

Is the general consensus that more disassembly is a prerequisite to making it within weight limits?

Thanks. Read the other thread now. Seems quite a lot of disassembly required. The new Scicon Aerocomfort MTB MY19 case fits within weight limits and only requires wheels and handlebar to be removed...but reviews of it are sparse.

Is the general consensus that more disassembly is a prerequisite to making it within weight limits?
It's the weight, but also size. You get SLAMMED if it's oversized.

Technically most of the cases are oversized, but most airports won't go crazy and try to charge you. For instance in Newark nobody there cares and they just push the bags through. They do of course have to weight every bag so overweight is non-negotiable.

If you're not concerned about paying for the oversize costs, then yeah, go with a bigger case. If I recall correctly, last time it was $150 each way for a checked "Bike" box.

Reactions: don
I have used boxes, cases, a plastic corrugated box, bags, hard cases. Total PITA and the airlines are always trying to charge the max amount unless you get creative.

IMHO use Bikeflights to your buddy or an LBS on the other side. Way less hassle and cheaper. The only downside is the advance shipping (not an issue if you have multiple bikes) or if you are traveling internationally.

The Post Transfer case certainly saves weight! But looking at the 150L...seems it is better for road/grave I have an XL mtb frame... will need to measure and probablybin best case need to detach shock to move rear triangle as you did. But what about deflating my 2.3 tubeless minions? I think I would draw a line at having to deal with sealant and tire bead issues. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

Screenshot_20210228-093921_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210228-093921_Chrome.jpg

Back in 26" days I built plywood bike carriers to go to Hawaii. They required wheel, fork, and swingarm removal, and I could pack my clothing and tools within as well while staying under the weight limit. When asked about contents at check-in, I would reply "clothing and personal items", which got some funny looks, but no rejections. I got one TSA callback, they asked what was in the boxes, I told them, they opened and checked. HI x-rays luggage on the way out and the state security guy almost died laughing when he saw the bike.

I have used boxes, cases, a plastic corrugated box, bags, hard cases. Total PITA and the airlines are always trying to charge the max amount unless you get creative.

IMHO use Bikeflights to your buddy or an LBS on the other side. Way less hassle and cheaper. The only downside is the advance shipping (not an issue if you have multiple bikes) or if you are traveling internationally.
My plans are a multi-leg trip overseas with riding at each leg, so must be more self-reliant. Hence, trying to avoid too much disassembly if I can...

I have the Dakine Bike Roller Bag and have used the EVOC Pro...I recommend both but the EVOC is definitely heavier and harder to keep under 50lbs...

I have the Dakine Bike Roller Bag and have used the EVOC Pro...I recommend both but the EVOC is definitely heavier and harder to keep under 50lbs...
It seems the non-pro Evoc doesn't have the bike stand which should save weight..but not sure how the fork is protected. Evoc website says it is 9.1 kg which is almost exactly 20lbs, leaving 30 lbs for bike and any wrapping/protective materials. Sounds doable if I movea few heavier bits to carryon such as cassette, RD and cranks...

Does anyone have any experience with non-pro evoc?

I used an early version of the EVOC standard model and it was good. I have not used the pro version. For the record I have only traveled with metal bikes. Never traveled with a carbon bike.

I have a soft case Thule, a hard case Thule and an EVOC Pro. I fly with my bike many times a years. The EVOC Pro is definitely my favorite! My son has used it for his size Med 29er Enduro bike. My size small DH bike will only fit the hard case.

The Post Transfer case certainly saves weight! But looking at the 150L...seems it is better for road/grave I have an XL mtb frame... will need to measure and probablybin best case need to detach shock to move rear triangle as you did. But what about deflating my 2.3 tubeless minions? I think I would draw a line at having to deal with sealant and tire bead issues. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

I have a large Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 and it fits well in the 150l. The 29" wheels with Minion DHR and Fat Albert Rear actually fit within the wheel sleeves without taking off the tires. The 135L I had to take the 29" tires off unless I was using CX tires (I took my hardtail w/ CX tires to race Trek in Waterloo 2 years ago) or my wife's size small 5010 27.5 wheels with Minions fit in those sleeves. If you have a 29er or larger frame, the 150l is definitely the way to go. They made a running change in the 150l for the larger tires so any of their cases in the last year or so will fit 29" mtb tires.

My 29er definitely fits a tad better unbolting the shock in the 150l than the 135l. The 135l is a little more stealthy however.

Our frames also have the brake lines on the outside, so getting in the bikes in is much easier that way. If I travelled a lot, I would consider AXS for the convenience.

Gotta be comfortable taking the bike apart. And if you're OK with paying the fees bike or oversized then those other cases where you can just leave the fork in may make way more sense.

I have a large Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 and it fits well in the 150l. The 29" wheels with Minion DHR and Fat Albert Rear actually fit within the wheel sleeves without taking off the tires. The 135L I had to take the 29" tires off unless I was using CX tires (I took my hardtail w/ CX tires to race Trek in Waterloo 2 years ago) or my wife's size small 5010 27.5 wheels with Minions fit in those sleeves. If you have a 29er or larger frame, the 150l is definitely the way to go. They made a running change in the 150l for the larger tires so any of their cases in the last year or so will fit 29" mtb tires.

My 29er definitely fits a tad better unbolting the shock in the 150l than the 135l. The 135l is a little more stealthy however.

Our frames also have the brake lines on the outside, so getting in the bikes in is much easier that way. If I travelled a lot, I would consider AXS for the convenience.

Gotta be comfortable taking the bike apart. And if you're OK with paying the fees bike or oversized then those other cases where you can just leave the fork in may make way more sense.
I was thinking about the bike bag in context of fitting within the 50lbs weight limit, but didn't fully appreciate the total linear limit (adding length, width and height measurements), which my airline sets at 158 centimeters. The 150L Post Carry case is 96.5+76.5+23=196. This means I can't avoid fees no matter what and hoping they'll be more forgiving on size dimensions if I fit within weight limits seems like a risky strategy. I might as well upsize for convenience of minimum assembly, in which case EVOC PRO seems best, if I can get over the price that is. Thanks for your help anyway.

I was thinking about the bike bag in context of fitting within the 50lbs weight limit, but didn't fully appreciate the total linear limit (adding length, width and height measurements), which my airline sets at 158 centimeters. The 150L Post Carry case is 96.5+76.5+23=196. This means I can't avoid fees no matter what and hoping they'll be more forgiving on size dimensions if I fit within weight limits seems like a risky strategy. I might as well upsize for convenience of minimum assembly, in which case EVOC PRO seems best, if I can get over the price that is. Thanks for your help anyway.
Yeah, that's what I was kind of saying. Yes the Post Carry case is oversized, but it doesn't scream OVERSIZED BIKE CASE. In general if it's under the 50lbs, nobody at check-in cares.

The only time I had any issue is Phoenix last year where my flight had a good 20 people on line at check-in with standard bicycle cases because lots of people fly in & out with bikes. Therefore the woman in control knew what our bags were and charged us the "Bike" fee of $150 per bag. Which I got a refund later for when I called the airline.

Every other flight it hasn't been an issue. And even if I had to eat the $150 that one time, I've not paid any fees all the other times I flew.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of saying. Yes the Post Carry case is oversized, but it doesn't scream OVERSIZED BIKE CASE. In general if it's under the 50lbs, nobody at check-in cares.

The only time I had any issue is Phoenix last year where my flight had a good 20 people on line at check-in with standard bicycle cases because lots of people fly in & out with bikes. Therefore the woman in control knew what our bags were and charged us the "Bike" fee of $150 per bag. Which I got a refund later for when I called the airline.

Every other flight it hasn't been an issue. And even if I had to eat the $150 that one time, I've not paid any fees all the other times I flew.
How did you convince the airline to refund the fee?

Most of the airlines let you fly with a bike box as your checked bag now. So it's $25 or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom