MTB Adventure/Overlanding Rigs

jredone

Curious to see if anyone around here has some cool overloading builds. Not too often do I see any at the trailheads.
Can be anything-Home builds, Vans, Trucks, Trailers, Campers, whatever you use to get out there and ride all the amazing sh*t this beautiful country has to offer.

Lets see what you got. 🍻

My rig is a 2003 Ford E350 7.3 4x4
Full home build and sportsmobile pop top

Last edited:

BPaze

Lol was doing that with my Crosstrek for way too long hence the inspiration to start building something a little more enjoyable :cool:
How much of this was self-built and how much was purchased. This rig is awesome and have always wanted one, but got a family so no budget or time to use one.

jredone

How much of this was self-built and how much was purchased. This rig is awesome and have always wanted one, but got a family so no budget or time to use one.

Started off as a regular base model Quigley passenger van just with the pop top already installed. Everything else was self built

serviceguy

Ive been there a handful of times, I'm usually more up north Chimney, Ringwood, Sterling, Stephens/allamuch

If I see you parked at Ringwood I hope you don't mind me asking you to peek inside the vehicle! Where do you usually park (Ryerson / Lot A, B C) ?

bergsnj

Curious to see if anyone around here has some cool overloading builds. Not too often do I see any at the trailheads.
Can be anything-Home builds, Vans, Trucks, Trailers, Campers, whatever you use to get out there and ride all the amazing sh*t this beautiful country has to offer.

Lets see what you got. 🍻

My rig is a 2003 Ford E350 7.3 4x4
Full home build and sportsmobile pop top

That is amazing. I love those 4x4 econolines, especially the diesel ones. That is a sweet rig, I'm jealous.

jredone

If I see you parked at Ringwood I hope you don't mind me asking you to peek inside the vehicle! Where do you usually park (Ryerson / Lot A, B C) ?

For sure, cold beers in fridge at all times. Free with the van tour.
Use to park in Shepherd pond lot, now i'll usually park up at Sterling (S. Gate Lot) do a loop and ride down to ringwood.

BPaze

You had a sweet sprinter before this right? Was the change about more terrain capability and how do they compare. This has my future divorce written all over this.

jredone

You had a sweet sprinter before this right? Was the change about more terrain capability and how do they compare. This has my future divorce written all over this.

I did, and that's exactly the reason for the change. Sprinter was nice for the head room and mpgs. Did not do great off road or in the snow but it did get me where I needed to go, just not as deep and secluded as the Ford can which i was really looking for. Ford is also cheap and easy to fix on the fly and parts are available pretty much everywhere.

Ive been throwing the idea around of selling this and building something even more capable...🤣 That might as well sign the divorce papers for me

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
That’s a very similar rig, a 4x4 E350, but that one has an Airstream topper.

Big bucks.

My wife found out what my neighbor just paid for their RV plus the nightly cost of campground fees. She asked why not spend the night in 5 star hotels, forever. You'd still save money.

BPaze

I did, and that's exactly the reason for the change. Sprinter was nice for the head room and mpgs. Did not do great off road or in the snow but it did get me where I needed to go, just not as deep and secluded as the Ford can which i was really looking for. Ford is also cheap and easy to fix on the fly and parts are available pretty much everywhere.

Ive been throwing the idea around of selling this and building something even more capable...🤣 That might as well sign the divorce papers for me
Military 6x6 with a camper box on the back to traverse from Alaska to terra del fuego or at least that’s my dream one day. Maybe if I hit the lottery

jredone

Military 6x6 with a camper box on the back to traverse from Alaska to terra del fuego or at least that’s my dream one day. Maybe if I hit the lottery

They’re actually surprising affordable if you can come across them on government auctions and build them out yourself. Tough to find them street legal but they’re out there. Stewart and Stevenson LMTV- those things are amazing.

Top Bottom