Mt Washington Hill Climb

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure this is SS friendly :)

If memory serves, Tyler Hamilton beat Ned Overend last year. It's a crazy climb for sure.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
a quick death

This is a brutal climb. The first couple hundred yards are pretty flat, and then the hill kicks up to an unimaginable grade and just stays there. The average is 12%, with extended sections between 15-18%. About 2/3 of the way up, you come out of the tree line and it's like riding on the moon. You can see the road winding up the mountain from there and it can be pretty daunting. The last 50 yards are 22%. People hit it and just fall over.

It's a pretty intense deal to get to the top and realize what sort of hill you've just ridden up. On a clear day, the view from the top is beautiful beyond belief, but the weather is a whole other issue.

I've done it twice, and never been very happy with the rides I put in. Don't know if I can ever justify the expense again.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a brutal climb. The first couple hundred yards are pretty flat, and then the hill kicks up to an unimaginable grade and just stays there. The average is 12%, with extended sections between 15-18%. About 2/3 of the way up, you come out of the tree line and it's like riding on the moon. You can see the road winding up the mountain from there and it can be pretty daunting. The last 50 yards are 22%. People hit it and just fall over.

It's a pretty intense deal to get to the top and realize what sort of hill you've just ridden up. On a clear day, the view from the top is beautiful beyond belief, but the weather is a whole other issue.

I've done it twice, and never been very happy with the rides I put in. Don't know if I can ever justify the expense again.

Wow, that's impressive that you did it. We took the van up once, so I know what you mean about the grade, the moon, and the weather. Actually the top of the hill was in a cloud the day we were there.

WHat kind of times did you pull? And what's the cost?

22% is absurd.

Shaggz

A strong 7

i'm not sure what amazes me more, that you did this, not once, but twice, or the fact that you actually wore out the flywheel on your cycleops trainer

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
a good friend of mine is considering doing this which is one of the main reasons i posted. he's an uber-light weight...prolly like 6'2" and maybe 160 soaking wet with weights in each hand.

i've driven up it before and that's about as much as i want. snowboarding tuckerman's, on the other hand, is something that i've always wanted to do.

ArmyOfNone

how long is the climb in total? i dunno what 22% grades look like either. Did you atleast get a bumber sticker???

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
WHat kind of times did you pull? And what's the cost?
In 2000 I rode 1:22:something; in 2001 1:20:04. The 2001 time remains a thorn in my side, as I felt pretty rotten the whole time and didn't really ride to my potential. Guys I'd been training with (and hanging with) beat me pretty soundly. I also missed the "Top Notch"(sub-1:20) designation by 5 seconds, which added to the disappointment.

When last I rode, it was $100. Since then, it's gone up to $300, and the field of 600 riders fills in a few hours typically. In order to really do it justice, you need to get up there a day or two early, so a few nights lodging are needed, plus meals, gas, etc. It can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly.

I do have to say that can be a transcendent experience to do this event. You can go to some pretty deep places during that climb.

In 2000 I did this and 24 Hours of Allamuchy on successive weekends. What a way to end the summer.:drooling:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In 2000 I did this and 24 Hours of Allamuchy on successive weekends. What a way to end the summer.:drooling:

holy god, that is some insane level of fitness. in the best shape of my life i don't think i could have done anything like that.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In 2000 I rode 1:22:something; in 2001 1:20:04. The 2001 time remains a thorn in my side, as I felt pretty rotten the whole time and didn't really ride to my potential. Guys I'd been training with (and hanging with) beat me pretty soundly. I also missed the "Top Notch"(sub-1:20) designation by 5 seconds, which added to the disappointment.

When last I rode, it was $100. Since then, it's gone up to $300, and the field of 600 riders fills in a few hours typically. In order to really do it justice, you need to get up there a day or two early, so a few nights lodging are needed, plus meals, gas, etc. It can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly.

I do have to say that can be a transcendent experience to do this event. You can go to some pretty deep places during that climb.

Oh man what a bitch! Yeah that sounds pretty expensive. Funny how that works - the Vermont 50 is up to $175 now and it sells out in 2 hours. Crazy.

Good stuff man though I'm sorry you didn't get the Top Notch classification.

PedalPaddles

It's got to be the most expensive race in the world.
Almost $40 per mile. It rained both times I did it and the winds hit 60 mph the last time. The final 2/3's is on dirt and the steep section at the end is paved.

Photos: http://www.jsmcelvery.com/

BiknBen

I did this climb in 2003. It's certainly a tough ride. I'll never forget my time of 1:21:26. Every second was a character building experience.

For those who are turned off by the expense, consider the practice ride. I month or two before the real event there is a Practice Ride. It cost me $20 and there were only a couple hundred entries. Your time won't be officially timed but who cares. My stopwatch is just as good.

The attached images prove I was there and illustrate what 22% looks like. ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am miffed that you jumped right into the Mount Washington Hill Climb thread without introducing yourself first. What kind of impersonal message board do you take this for?

Anyway, good job on the climb. I've never heard of the Pracrice Ride before, since they babble endlessly about how it's only open to people once a year, etc etc etc.

NJ Jess

NIce job

I did this climb in 2003. It's certainly a tough ride. I'll never forget my time of 1:21:26. Every second was a character building experience.

For those who are turned off by the expense, consider the practice ride. I month or two before the real event there is a Practice Ride. It cost me $20 and there were only a couple hundred entries. Your time won't be officially timed but who cares. My stopwatch is just as good.

The attached images prove I was there and illustrate what 22% looks like. ;)

Nice job on the climb. Where do you practice hills if you are from Mercer County? PS. Ignore the trouble maker, he's just jealous,......

ArmyOfNone

I am miffed that you jumped right into the Mount Washington Hill Climb thread without introducing yourself first. What kind of impersonal message board do you take this for?

Anyway, good job on the climb. I've never heard of the Pracrice Ride before, since they babble endlessly about how it's only open to people once a year, etc etc etc.

Norm meet Ben...Ben is a good guy, i have had the privelage of riding with him a few times. Good to see you on the boards Ben!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i wonder how many people have done it on a fixed gear.... anyone know? i'm sure it's been done. hell, they even have a fixed gear class at races like furnace creek.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Hey Ben! Glad to have you on the board. I know this is somphmoric, but the second picture would be perfect with a bumber sticker on your rear that read "this ass climber mt. washington".

Top Bottom