Mt Tammany Hike Sunday 10:00 am

Wazu

We will be hiking Mt Tammany this Sunday the 23rd at 10:00 am. The hike should last somewhere in the viscinity of 3 hours ish. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on Mare's mood at the time. ;) The pace will be "RyderX" (If you have time to talk about your Pinewood Derby win, you're not moving fast enough). I hope this information was helpful.

From Interstate 80 westbound, New York, New Jersey
Continue on Interstate 80 westbound about 3 miles past Exits 4A/B/C, Stay in the right lane and take the rest area exit on the right. Continue on the service road down past the rest area, and up an entrance ramp as if to re-enter Interstate 80 westbound. Turn right from the ramp before it re-enters Interstate 80 into Dunnfield Parking Area. (part of Worthington State Forest)

If you miss the exit for the rest area ...
Stay in the right lane, and continue 1 mile farther on Interstate 80 to NJ Exit 1 "Millbrook/Flatbrookville." Turn hard left at the end of the exit ramp, and continue 3/4 back eastward along the service road, passing Kittatinny Point, and turn left at the underpass. Turn left again on a ramp that re-enters Interstate 80 westbound, but turn right from the ramp before it re-enters Interstate 80 into Dunnfield Parking Area. (part of Worthington State Forest)

xc62701

This should be a fun hike. I unfortunately won't be there but have done this hike 3 or 4 other times. I hope it warms up a little for you or those rocks on the one little talus field with be a bit tricky to navigate. Break out those golf spikes!!!:D

Mare

I hope to be happy and hyper, yet numb (not in the cold sense). Uphill, warp speed, 4 laps, 18 miles! Wazu, you likey?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
4 laps? Why not just go up to Sunfish Pond after you reach the top? That's a pretty straight shot using that back door trail, and you could then post some coolio pictures of Sunfish Pond in the winter!

Mare

4 laps = sarcasm :)

we probably will go up to tammany, over to sunfish, and down the AT. norm, you should jon us!!

Mare

norm: i actually never did the loop i stated above. do you know if at the top i just follow the white markers to sunfish pond? i think they are white. you can totally lie and i would listen.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought only white was the AT. Check this out:

http://www.caliberdt.com/~bill/tammany/index.htm

The PDFs seem useful. Looks like at the top of Tammany you meet up with the turquoise trail which eventually turns into a green trail (#9) to Sunfish Pond. Then you can take the AT home. I've done it years ago and don't remember it being terribly tough to figure out, but then I have maps somewhere.

Mare

The trail system isn't that intricate there, so I bet I can figure it out.

Thanks, Norm, for your help!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only glitch would be doubling back and heading down to Dunnfield Creek and being basically back where you started and missing Sunfish completely. There may also be a trail not on that map.

OK I just found what I'm thinking of and there is another trail:
http://www.njskylands.com/odhikedwg.htm

If you look at that map there's a trail that connects Tammany and Yards Creek. I believe that's the one I've taken in the past. But no clue how it's marked. And if you kinda take that, and loop around the bottom of Yards Lake on that map, you could find yourself a moon-shot from your car. So it's simple enough, but never take anything for granted!!!

Mare

norm, i really think you should join us! i will keep bugging you so one of these days you may give in.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
:)

I think I actually have a bruch to go to at 10:00 am on Sunday. No, not at Neen's house but not far away.

N

Neen

What? you're not coming for brunch? sheesh, after I made scones and everything! :p Guess I may as well go on this hike then. I'll try and remember to take pics at Sunfish Pond for you :D

Wazu

I'm psyched for the hike! My friend John is coming. You guys will love him. He's a climber/teacher who I've known for years. The only thing greater than his modesty is his climbing acuity and knowledge of the sport.
Ryan's definately in for Sunday too! Rumor has it that it's a steep climb. I sure freaking hope so! Oh, btw I've been to Sunfish pond with my wife. Boy was that a great day. I carved a HUGE 2 foot heart in a tree with my wife's name. We also went to this place called "The Glenn". That day my wife bumped her head badly :mad2: on an overhanging ledge as I stepped on my glasses:( at the same time. It was the blind leading the bloody back to the car a few miles down a trail we had trouble with in the first place. Memories.

Mare

nice memories. let's see what kind we can make this sunday, hopefully without injuries! yes, steep climb. you will love it!

Wazu

Mare...Nice hikey hike. I likey like! Way to nanny goat it too ;) . As you know, John and I went back to find that water slide in the river. We found it. It was by the one bridge where I was up on that hickory stump by the water falls. He actually stripped down to undies and took two plunges into a small pool! Can you say, John the Baptist?!
As far as a workout goes, I wasn't feeling a thing that day but for the last two days my quads have been killing me. I need to get back there within a week or two or maybe even less. You should see the back of John's house. Pullies, ropes, swings...it's like an jungle gym for adults. I also checked out his climbing gear. Really cool. He also makes furniture out of natural wood. Anyways...till the next hike/bike/skate...

Mare

Wow! I thought John putting his hands in the freezing water and splashing his face was enough...undies, water slides? I wish I did come back to see that!! I want to see his backyard too.

As for the hike....fun! I didn't hurt at all during the hike or for the car ride home, but as soon as I showered and hit the couch, I was OUT! Can't wait to do it again. Actually I have another hike that you would LOVE so let me know when you have time to travel again. It just has to be dry for this one, as we will be climbing a lot of rocks. Can you say awesome?

Top Bottom