Mt Bike Jamboree

rocknrollgirl

I saw this on the "other" site and I thought I would bump it over here too. Looks like it could be fun.

Ruth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you haven't seen it yet, the Delaware Trailspinners (DTS) mountain bike club is proud to sponsor an MTB ride to celebrate mountain biking in the Mid Atlantic region. We're inviting all mountain bikers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and other areas to a group ride at Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area near Newark, Delaware. Here are more details about the ride.

Date is Sunday, November 5. But check the DTS website (http://www.trailspinners.org/) for updates in case of rotten weather. Rain date is Sunday, November 12, at the same time and place.

Location is the Gallaher Road parking lot at Fair Hill NMRA. See directions below. You also can see a map showing the Gallaher Road parking lot (#4) at the Fair Hill NMRA website (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...rhillmap.html).
The ride(s) will begin at 10 AM and probably will last for about 2-3 hours. We'll provide bail-out points or give directions to anyone who wants to head back to the parking lot earlier.

The purpose of the ride is to have some fun, share our enthusiasm for the MTB'ing and discuss opportunities to help each other in building and maintaining more great MTB trails in the Mid Atlantic area.
It's not a race! It's a series of fun rides with different distances & speeds for MTB riders of all skills, fitness levels, ages, genders, etc. DTS will provide guides for each ride who know all of the trails and will guarantee an exciting ride for all.
There is no charge for the ride. But Fair Hill NMRA charges a parking fee for each car. $3 for Maryland residents, $4 for out-of-state.
All riders /must /wear a helmet. We also recommend bringing spare tubes, pumps, drinking water, energy bars, trail tools. Of course a functional bike would be nice too. But all except the helmet are optional.

Bring burgers, brots, buns, whatever you like to grill + beverages for a post-ride picnic near the parking lot. We'll probably start grilling around 1-2 PM. So there should be plenty of time to eat your fill and still have plenty of time to drive home before dark. DTS will try to have grills set up for your use. But it wouldn't hurt to bring a small grill with some charcoal if you have one since we don't know what kind of turn-out to expect. Also bring some chairs unless you want to sit on the ground.
For folks with families, Fair Hill is a great place for hiking, trail running, geo-caching, equestrian activities (but bring your own horse) and lots of other outdoor fun.
Well, that's about it for now. Hope to see everyone in November. Please spread the word. We would appreciate hearing from individuals and especially regional MTB clubs who plan to participate in the ride. Just send an email to Ray.M.Geddens (at) comcast (dot) net with approximately how many riders we should expect. This will help us make sure that we have enough guides and grills at the ride. Thanks.

Directions:
Coming from the south on I-95:
Take exit 100 toward Rising Sun on Route 272 North.
Take a right on Rt. 273 and follow to the intersection of Rt. 273 and 213.
Proceed through the traffic light for approximately 1.5 miles and turn right onto Gallaher Road.
Go about 1 mile to the Gallaher Road/Big Elk Chapel intersection where you will see the parking lot on your right.

Coming from the north on I-95, it's a little more complicated.
Take exit 3 (273 E/273 W) to Dover/Newark and bear right toward Newark.
Continue straight on Christiana Road for about 3.5 miles into beautiful downtown Newark. As an added bonus for folks traveling this way, there's a Starbuck's in the middle of Newark on your left.
Continue straight through Newark on East Main to West Main. No turns, just keep going straight so far. But just past the Deer Park Tavern, bear right onto Nottingham Road. Actually I think you've been on Highway 273 the whole time but people insist on renaming the road after each intersection.
Continue straight past the Newark Golf Course on your right. Go straight for about 3.5-4 miles. You will go down a big hill and up the other side beneath an overhead bridge (We may ride over this later on our bikes!) to the top of the hill. Gallaher Road will be on your left.
Turn left onto Gallaher Road.
Go about 1 mile to the Gallaher Road/Big Elk Chapel intersection where you will see the parking lot on your right.

If you're coming from some other direction, check a map or the Fair Hill NMRA website listed above.

Top Bottom