MPH / mileage

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Post your average MPH rates as well as your average mileage. I started road biking this winter and normally ride alone, so I have little clue what the average biker can do. I do between 20 and 25 miles at 16 MPH.

D

DANSPANK

My regular 22mile loop is really flat (-1000ft of climbing) and I was just shy of 20mph average speed at the end of last year - haven't started doing the after work thing yet but it will be slower right now.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is one of those things that's dependent on your route...I have a hill loop that kills me and I'd be lucky to push 16 mph avg. over 30 miles...Yet during an 80 mile route from Piscataway around Round Valley and back I can stay over 20 mph for 4 hours...And then with a group you can do the same ride probrally closer to 23-24 mph average...It all depends...Hit up a local shop and join them for one of their group rides, then you'll get a better idea where you stand...

-Jim.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
This is one of those things that's dependent on your route...I have a hill loop that kills me and I'd be lucky to push 16 mph avg. over 30 miles...Yet during an 80 mile route from Piscataway around Round Valley and back I can stay over 20 mph for 4 hours...And then with a group you can do the same ride probrally closer to 23-24 mph average...It all depends...Hit up a local shop and join them for one of their group rides, then you'll get a better idea where you stand...

-Jim.
Exactly.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
around the princeton area I usually do around 18 with a tad climbing and a tad descending....I usually do between 17 and 30 miles.

liong71er

i don't own road bikes.usually i ride on road with my fulsus trailbikes on county road.from clifton to suffern.verage speed 18-20 mph. about 30-45 mile.i have riding ramapo bike rally last year (century rides) with the same bike,while all others on road bikes.:)

pinkshirtphotos

i ride old 10speeds till i can afford a new road bike weighs in at 35 lbs and is a steel ride. i can do a 30 mile ride from vernon into warwick threw the hill with an average of 10-14 depending on the day, and when im down in the six flags area im doing 17-20 average.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i don't own road bikes.usually i ride on road with my fulsus trailbikes on county road.from clifton to suffern.verage speed 18-20 mph. about 30-45 mile.i have riding ramapo bike rally last year (century rides) with the same bike,while all others on road bikes.:)

Do you have the route from Clifton to Suffern? :hmmm:
I'm in Clifton too (although maybe not for long)

My only road ride so far...around Clifton/Montclair
Distance (mi ) 18.15
Moving Speed (mph) 15.4 avg. 32.9 max.

Last edited:

Maurice

Distance: not nearly as many miles as I'd like
Speed: not nearly as fast as I'd like

If only work didn't get in the way...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Cool info all. Overall I don't like road biking nearly as much as trail riding (Being that close to moving cars, and is it me or are roadies the most stuck up people ever?), but putting in the road miles (and road bike-equiped trainer miles) is definitely improving my strength and has helped me drop pounds. Goal is another 7 or 8 pounds by H2H race #1 May 4 and time on the trainer seems to be key. Hopefully I'll be averaging closer to 18 MPH on my usual routes by then.

TriChick

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally into the off road experience. Love everything about it.

BUT, there is just something about getting out on the road and pushing the pedals for 3-4 hours straight.

I pretty much train on 9W. Start in Fort Lee, head out half way and head back to the car. Depending on which race I'm training for, I can hit over 100 miles and have a great time! I usually average around 18mph and LOVE the hills.

It also helps to have a super awesome Cervelo P3 carbon bike. Once I throw on my Zipp wheels, watch out!!!

Top Bottom