Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

JerseyPete

There is also Hawthorne, but I have no experience in that area. I heard it is rent controlled, but the prices vary depending on proximity to the train station.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Just casually looking at rentals on Zillow, man jersey is a rip off. A lot of expensive dumpy apartments. A lot of house rentals that are equally dumpy.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I grew up near Worcester, and for some reason they are touting it as the next “hip” city. I’m not sure if that’s true but it’s super cheap and has good trails nearby.

It’s probably our due diligence to talk you out of moving to jersey.

JerseyPete

Go with your own original thought, Wanaque. Close to your work that you can do local roads without highway (traffic) and close to trails.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I won’t be commuting into the city, so fortunately that won’t be a concern.
Well than, even closer. To put it in perspective, income tax in pa is a straight 3% (NJ increases as you make more
Money) and property taxes are considerbly less, especially in north jersey. Just a thought because jersey is easy to get into but hard to get out of (closing costs are less in NJ)

If your working in haledon you’ll have access to high mountain, which has a decent amount of trails. So at least you won’t have to go far for an after work ride. Wyckoff, midland park, glen rock and ridgewood are towns near Haledon that are nice, and not far from ringwood ramapo. I think you’ll have to give yourself a big search area for apartments and focus on finding an apt you like. I’m a former masshole and the jersey rental market is weird, you don’t find many tenements outside of the rougher areas.
Yeah, I’m noticing the rental market is a bit different than the Northshore of MA. It appears to be a lot of apartment complexes, and not the tenements I’m used to. Hoping to find something to rent, that’s not part of a complex.

JerseyPete

Yeah, I’m noticing the rental market is a bit different than the Northshore of MA. It appears to be a lot of apartment complexes, and not the tenements I’m used to. Hoping to find something to rent, that’s not part of a complex.
So you are looking for private homes?
Something like this?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/52-Florence-Ave-2-Oakland-NJ-07436/2114129320_zpid/

BTW, I'd stay away from that one, flood zone, but is something like that what you want?

@dmorrissette I'm up at Bentley in Waltham going to school most of the year, and I ride Lynn Woods and School Street mostly. A lot of the riding in North Jersey is pretty similar. I will say that there is more climbing in NJ, and less in terms of big, bike-park like features like BnT's features. In terms of parks you'd like the most in NJ, I think Mahlon Dickerson in Jefferson/near Andover and Ringwood are similar to the likes of Northshore Mass. Check out Sourlands in the middle of NJ once you're here too, that's very similar to BnTs with riding up and down smooth rollers.
Thanks for the input, definitely helpful to hear from someone who currently rides my local trails, and also knows the trails in the area I’ll be moving too.
I’ll be sure to check out those areas once we get down there. Wonder if I’ve ever bumped into you on the trails or have any mutual friends? I’m ussually riding 3-4 days a week, and probably ride at Lynn or School St more than anywhere else. I’m not moving for a few more months, so if you ever wanna try and link up for a ride give a shout.

Last edited:

phillychris498

Thanks for the input, definitely helpful to hear from someone who currently rides my local trails, and also knows the trails in the area I’ll be moving too.
I’ll be sure to check out those areas once we get down there. Wonder if I’ve ever bumped into you on the trails or have any mutual friends? I’m ussually riding 3-4 days a week, and probably ride at Lynn or School St more than anywhere else. I’m not moving for a few more months, so if you ever wanna try and link up for a ride give a shout.

I definitely will. Would love to ride BnT's or Mount Ann's up there, I don't have good routes that I can piece together at those places as of now. I know Kevin Atkins, Wayne Delano, Steve LaKind, Matt Robinson, Matt Boulay, among others. I'll be back up in Mass in early June and would like getting a group together for a ride up in one of those spots.

I definitely will. Would love to ride BnT's or Mount Ann's up there, I don't have good routes that I can piece together at those places as of now. I know Kevin Atkins, Wayne Delano, Steve LaKind, Matt Robinson, Matt Boulay, among others. I'll be back up in Mass in early June and would like getting a group together for a ride up in one of those spots.
You just pretty much just named off several of the people in the crew I ride with regularly. Definitely give a shout when you’re back up here. Small world.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Well than, even closer. To put it in perspective, income tax in pa is a straight 3% (NJ increases as you make more
Money) and property taxes are considerbly less, especially in north jersey. Just a thought because jersey is easy to get into but hard to get out of (closing costs are less in NJ)
Property taxes less in North NJ? I’m in Ridgewood and they are ridiculous. Would be afraid to see what the taxes are in other parts of the state.

qclabrat

The crazy part is the taxes are fairly low for a house that price in Bergen County.
Bergen, Essex and Union all have crazy taxes
Middlesex,Morris and Somerset are a bit more sane
Some other counties are starting to creep up like Hunterdon and Monmouth

Top Bottom