Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess you are renting? Its always a good idea to rent imo, get a lay of the land, check things out, explore before you commit to a mortgage.

I'd say being relatively close to work with a hassle free drive would be priority, ideally with mtb trails nearby. You can always drive to other trails on wknds, most places up north fit the bill you are looking for and roads to get there are quite on wknd mornings.

I guess you are renting? Its always a good idea to rent imo, get a lay of the land, check things out, explore before you commit to a mortgage.

I'd say being relatively close to work with a hassle free drive would be priority, ideally with mtb trails nearby. You can always drive to other trails on wknds, most places up north fit the bill you are looking for and roads to get there are quite on wknd mornings.
Yeah, very likely will rent for the first year, but would be nice to move once not move again in 12 months. In the end though I think renting does make the most sense. Would not be ideal to commit to a home/mortgage and 6 months later realize it’s not in an area I want live in.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The Atlantic Highlands is a hidden gem. Close to the beach, sandy hook, hartshorne, allaire, chimney rock but at the same time u can ride the hills or be on the flats. Also the ferry to nyc is close by. I live in hazlet but would move to AH if I did it again.

Wolfjon

OK, I can definitely chime in on this one.. I grew up just north of Lowell Mass in Tyngsboro and rode a lot in Lynn woods in the mid 90's although the trails seem to have gotten better and more open from what I have seen online. I now work in Wayne and live at the north end of Rockaway my commute down rt23 is exactly 30 minutes. I have not yet ridden in High mountain but all within 20-25 minutes of where I live in Rockaway we have some of the best North jersey riding. Therefore I highly recommend the Rockaway/Denville/Boonton area. Like other have said though the further west you go in this state the more rural it becomes.

GreenMachine

I’m going to be moving to NJ in August, and was looking to see if you guys could give me some insight on areas I should consider living. I’m a little bummed to be leaving to my local trails and the crew I ride with. But, I am looking forward to having new trails to ride and building a new network of buddies to ride with.

I’m looking to live somewhere that’s around a 30 minute commute to Wayne (or less) and want to live 20 minutes or less to good trails.

From what I’ve found online, living in the Ringwood or Wanaque area looks like it could be a good fit, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything, as I’m not from the area.

Where I live now, some of our best trails are not easy to find, if you aren’t familiar with the area. Love trails with tech, rock, chunk, rolls, drops/senders etc.... I haven’t had a chance to ride in NJ yet, but I found some videos on YouTube, and Ramapo looks like a fun spot, as well as Ringwood. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Probably will take a trip(s) down in the coming weeks, to start looking for a place to live and def will bring a bike to get some riding in.

So, I’m looking for any insight before signing a lease or purchasing a home, and suggestions on where to ride.

Thanks!!!!
You’re gonna base your living area on Mtb’ing? Is there a significant other involved here ?
Depending on your $ - wants- Bradley Beach would be on my list , Brielle , Manalpan, Ridgewood , Montvale , Tenafly ... Upper Freehold to name a few.
You should get feedback on the 287 area and it’s traffic nightmare before making any moves - Bergen Cty is expensive & congested.

rick81721

Lothar
I’m going to be moving to NJ in August, and was looking to see if you guys could give me some insight on areas I should consider living. I’m a little bummed to be leaving to my local trails and the crew I ride with. But, I am looking forward to having new trails to ride and building a new network of buddies to ride with.

I’m looking to live somewhere that’s around a 30 minute commute to Wayne (or less) and want to live 20 minutes or less to good trails.

From what I’ve found online, living in the Ringwood or Wanaque area looks like it could be a good fit, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything, as I’m not from the area.

Where I live now, some of our best trails are not easy to find, if you aren’t familiar with the area. Love trails with tech, rock, chunk, rolls, drops/senders etc.... I haven’t had a chance to ride in NJ yet, but I found some videos on YouTube, and Ramapo looks like a fun spot, as well as Ringwood. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Probably will take a trip(s) down in the coming weeks, to start looking for a place to live and def will bring a bike to get some riding in.

So, I’m looking for any insight before signing a lease or purchasing a home, and suggestions on where to ride.

Thanks!!!!

Our house is still on the market (tho an interested family is coming today for 2nd visit) - town of Montgomery, which btw was just voted the #1 town in NJ for families. Can ride to six mile run (about 6.5 miles of road and towpath) or the sourlands (about 4 miles of road). Special discount for mountain bikers!

qclabrat

plenty for rent
1557422185479.png

this one looks nice and has water views
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_re...6,-74.068108,40.862381,-74.391175_rect/11_zm/

mtbiker87

Look at Vernon. Right in town you have Mt Creek bike park and Waywayanda state park. 30min or so drive to Jungle, West Milford Pump Track, Kittitatinny, Wildcat Ridge, Mahlon. 45min or so to Allamuchy, Stevens, Deer Park, Tourne, and bout an hour from Stewart and the trails in Port Jervice NY. Rual area, but not to far from shopping.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kids? Schools important? Wayne is right about where Essex, Morris and Passaic counties collide. Different taxes in different counties. Also school are highly variable by town. Def. recommend renting for a bit before buying. Local traffic patterns could mean the difference between a 5 minute commute and a 25 minute commute for the same distance.

My office is essentially in Wayne. High Mountain is good. Chunky, hilly. If your office is in Haledon, you might even be able to ride from work.

Top Bottom