Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

I’m going to be moving to NJ in August, and was looking to see if you guys could give me some insight on areas I should consider living. I’m a little bummed to be leaving to my local trails and the crew I ride with. But, I am looking forward to having new trails to ride and building a new network of buddies to ride with.

I’m looking to live somewhere that’s around a 30 minute commute to Wayne (or less) and want to live 20 minutes or less to good trails.

From what I’ve found online, living in the Ringwood or Wanaque area looks like it could be a good fit, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything, as I’m not from the area.

Where I live now, some of our best trails are not easy to find, if you aren’t familiar with the area. Love trails with tech, rock, chunk, rolls, drops/senders etc.... I haven’t had a chance to ride in NJ yet, but I found some videos on YouTube, and Ramapo looks like a fun spot, as well as Ringwood. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Probably will take a trip(s) down in the coming weeks, to start looking for a place to live and def will bring a bike to get some riding in.

So, I’m looking for any insight before signing a lease or purchasing a home, and suggestions on where to ride.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Why not live in Wayne? High Mountain would be your local trail.
Wayne is a pretty big town... in terms of sq mileage so depending on which part of Wayne you live....
Ringwood and Jungle is about 30-40 minutes away.... because of local road.
Ramapo is about 10 min? Heck.... you can prolly ride your bike there.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where are you moving from and what are your local trails?

Wayne is a possibility as well, but was considering trying to live somewhere that felt a little more rural. Not shooting to live riding distance to trails, but that would be nice.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wayne is a relatively big town - any more specific?

anywhere from Boonton twp north to ringwood. Kinnelon is nice.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Currently live in Mass, on the Northshore. If anyone’s familiar with the area, my local trails are Lynnwoods, School St (G-spot), Pine St, Bruce and Toms, and Greenwood.

@phillychris498 moved from NJ to MA for school and rides Lynn Woods, so I'm sure he can give some feedback. I'm pretty sure you would like Wildcat Ridge and some other stuff nearby. These trails are in the Rockaway/Boonton/Kinnelon area.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i grew up in Kinnelon, can recommend.

However if i was to pick a place i would be in the rt 80 corridor west of 287, some of my fav trails are right off of rt 80 and it runs right into wayne (unfortunately WITH traffic at commute times)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
However if i was to pick a place i would be in the rt 80 corridor west of 287, some of my fav trails are right off of rt 80 and it runs right into wayne (unfortunately WITH traffic at commute times)

I'm in Parsippany right near the 80/287 interchange, and it's a pretty great location. I wouldn't go any further west if I was commuting to Wayne though.

BPaze

I'm in Parsippany right near the 80/287 interchange, and it's a pretty great location. I wouldn't go any further west if I was commuting to Wayne though.
I can second this 30 min max to a lot of great trails and not terrible commute to Wayne, I actually work on the border of Fairfield and Wayne and live in Parsippany and it is 15-20 min to work backroads

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wayne... is pretty suburbia.... I guess
Wouldn't you need to go west of 287 to be more rural?

northwest outside the 287 loop is closer for rural.

denville/rockaway/dover/ along the 46 corridor is suburban, not a ton of open space.
rt 80 corridor is crazy during commute time. (as is most of the area, but there are options, as opposed to rt 80)

What's your price range? NJ prices are all over the place
Yeah definitely
@phillychris498 moved from NJ to MA for school and rides Lynn Woods, so I'm sure he can give some feedback. I'm pretty sure you would like Wildcat Ridge and some other stuff nearby. These trails are in the Rockaway/Boonton/Kinnelon area.
Cool cool, Lynnwoods is such a fun place to ride, actually about to head over there now. Def would like to try and live, in NJ, close to somewhere with similar style trails to ride.

If your buddy is still learning the area up here, and likes Lynn, I could show him some other fun spots before I move.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should change your name to wildcat ridge because every post you make has wildcat ridge in it, well except the ugly lawn mower post, hey there is an idea add that to your lawn mower post ?

Warren/Sussex countys will get you best property taxes and most house for $. My buddy who rides here in the allamuchy is the town accountant for Wayne says 30 minutes on a good day hour on a not so good day to his job.

Allamuchy has 3 seperate parks
North
Stephen's
Deer Park
With Kittininny- Mahlon- Dickerson mine and wildcat in between coming from Wayne

northwest outside the 287 loop is closer for rural.

denville/rockaway/dover/ along the 46 corridor is suburban, not a ton of open space.
rt 80 corridor is crazy during commute time. (as is most of the area, but there are options, as opposed to rt 80)
Yeah, was curious what traffics like, but it’s terrible where I’m at now, so that won’t be anything new.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should change your name to wildcat ridge because every post you make has wildcat ridge in it, well except the ugly lawn mower post, hey there is an idea add that to your lawn mower post ?

Haha, well Wildcat is my local spot and it's awesome, for some definitions of awesome. The two people I know that moved to MA really like Lynn Woods, and they also really like Wildcat/Fugawe, so I think my recommendation is on point :p

Also, that lawn mower is possibly the pinnacle of american craftsmanship.

@dmorrissette will obviously want to check out Allamuchy and Mahlon, but as far as living out that way and commuting to Wayne, probably not a good idea.

Top Bottom