Mountain Man Race

S

Shar0se

I'm starting my first thread!....am I a dork that I find this exciting? .... actually nevermind.....don't anwser that. :)

I am curious about tips for the upcoming mtn man http://www.mountainman.org/. I run and I bike but I have never combined the two. We have over a month before the race but I thought I'd put this out there and get any and all the advice I could. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

rocknrollgirl

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, which I am not being...practice.

Seriously, just practice. Once or twice before the race do a short run, bike, run.

I would not suggest doing the whole distance every time, but get off your bike and run a mile. It is tough, and you will benefit from the practice for sure.

Good Luck. If I am not too fried from the rest of my season, I will be there. It is a fun race.

bobkennelly

I have almost done this race many times, but by the time Oct. 28th comes along, its hard to get up there for me.
I know a few people who have done it and said it was a great time, very challanging.I am considering doing it this year. I was all signed up for it two years ago, and then broke my hand three weeks before, if your going to do it, you better start running hills, alot, you only got 4 weeks to get ready, its a tough race

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The promoters make it a big light-hearted event, which is appreciated, since it's real cold and the turnout is less than your average H2H race. There's kegs of beer, bagels, hooded sweatshirts (included in pre-registration) and 30 minutes of giving away nifty schwag. Some folks race in costumes which is a downright bizarre sight when you're huffing and puffing along the trails.

I don't remember the bike being 11 miles last year. Anyone? Felt shorter.

Overall it was challenging and fun -- seriously cold, but still fun -- but I'm not sure I'm doing it this year. Maybe if some friends do it, but last year I knew not a soul so it wasn't really a blast for me.

As for advice, two things: your quads feel strange when you start biking right after a run. Practice running and then biking. For me there's no need to practice the opposite because the 2-mile run at the end is just a haze -- you're just so happy to be off the bike. Also, I'd think about attire and how you'll transition from run to bike and back. I probably spent 2 minutes in each transition where some spent 20 seconds. Good luck!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Definitely train in "blocks". Getting your body acclimated to going back and forth between running and riding is vital.

The transition to the second run has always been the big one for me, as your hamstrings will feel as if they've shrunken when you jump off the bike to begin running again. The first time I experienced this, it was downright comical. I felt like the Tin Man.

xc62701

Yea the T2 should be fine cause I've done a couple of tris and the bike to run is ok. I'm wondering how the run to bike will be. Maybe I should try a couple of those too. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too shabby.

keithsly

I've done this race many times.... It's a fun race !! I suggust that you go to a trail (somewhere where you know the trails)..... and do a ride at a decent pace and then put your bike on top of your car !! Change to your running shoes and do a couple mile run..... Going from Running to Riding is a weird feeling at first .... So you should get used to this !!:cool:

S

Shar0se

is this race not that popular? I haven't seen much chatter about it.

rocknrollgirl

I think that the reason for that is that most of the folks on this board are not multi-sport racers. I may be totally off base, but I think most of them are mt bikers, and those that race, race mt bikes. Not too many duathletes, or triathletes.

Or they are just being really quiet!

I did this race last year, it is really fun. I am not racing it this year, but I will be there to watch. Enjoy!

I will introduce myself. There were not a lot of women last year, so I will just wander up and say hi.

Ruth

xc62701

Doing a race the night before so I think I'm gonna make the call once that race is over. I'll see how I feel. I really don't think I wanna be running...but I like the bike part :D

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Not doing the race this year. No friends are doing it and at $55 I want it to be more fun than last year. I think a Ringwood morning ride instead will be just plain fine. (If it stops raining)

Sweaty Betty

I am considering this race and the Darkness 909 the night before in NY. Both are up in the air for me depending on the weather, how I fair if I do the 909 and how much work I have to do over the weekend. I have heard that the Mt Man is a lot of fun though and the 909 was a blast last year too.

N

Neen

Mtn Man is a lot of fun, but I haven't been running enough (read: at ALL) to warrant dropping $55 on the race.

S

Shar0se

I will introduce myself. There were not a lot of women last year, so I will just wander up and say hi.

Ruth

That would be great! Although I too am nervous about slick rocks, roots and leaves......still planning to go though. :)

Top Bottom