Mountain Man Race

Eileen

I pre-registered so I can't change my mind ;) I think it was close to $65 but I got a sweatshirt waiting for me. I don't know how many they have on race day.

I haven't really been running so this is going to be interesting, probably more like punishment. LewMo drains pretty well so the rocks, roots and leaves shouldn't be too bad - hopefully.

Ruth - look forward to meeting you :)

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't really been running so this is going to be interesting, probably more like punishment.

I'll be there rain or shine since I preregistered.

Eileen, my thoughts exactly...the run is going to be rough! I went last week and tried to do the run, tripped on a root and face planted, people don't call me 'crash' for no reason! It will be even worse if it's slippery.

Norm, I'll leave my $8 with Ruth if I don't get to meet you.

Looking forward to meeting many of you!

S

Shar0se

Doing a race the night before so I think I'm gonna make the call once that race is over. I'll see how I feel. I really don't think I wanna be running...but I like the bike part :D
Since I can't depend on my mechanic being there tomorrow- who can run just fine btw! :) ......what should I run my tires at- think small woman on wet terrain??

S

Shar0se

Well the Mountain Man today was great! The weather, although chilly for spectators, was perfect for racers, the conditions were excellent despite the rain and the crowd was fun! It was a 2 mile run (a bit hilly- green loop counter clockwise), 11 mile bike (2 laps of yellow- clockwise) and the same 2 mile run again.

As for me- can you say peak? It was just one of those perfect days when you go faster than you think you are going because it just doesn't hurt much, no walking, no mechanicals.....it all just came together!

*I started out in the back of the pack- not a smart move since I would consider myself more of a runner than a biker. For the first 1/2 mile it was "excuse me" "sorry" "coming through"..... I wanted to just run flat out to get as much time on all the "bikers" as I could. I came through at 16 min which was good since my 2nd mile was sub 8.
*Then onto the bike- well since I'm the "Greatest Non-Clipless Rider" my transition was 1.5 min.
*The trails were great- I spent the first 1/2 mile being passed by tons of men- since I had taken off on the run they were catching up. By the end of the fire road climb the crowd was pretty spread out- although I shocked myself by actually getting stuck behind a few guys on the single track going downhill! When did I get so comfortable and quick going downhill!? (Must have been that Whistler downhilling trip :) )
*The first lap flowed and the 2nd lap felt equally as good. I got passed again at the start of the 2nd lap- more guys, 2 females. I hammered the 2nd half of the 2nd lap and my transition to the run was 30 sec- tops.
*Bike to run- WOW! My legs- where are they? I started running and it definately took 1/4 mile or so until they were under me. I cruised through the 2nd run and finished 1.46- 14 minutes faster than my goal time!! :eek:

I got a good piece of advice from a friend who said to keep my bike in a granny gear going up the first fire road so that I can recover from the run and not blow up my legs- great advice, thanks Matt!

As for mtbnj.com finishers:
I came in 1st 25-29
Eileen was 1st <24
I know I met a couple other people......

I hope everyone had a great day today wherever they were riding! :p

J

JerseyT

Great race

Sharon, it was nice meeting you and Eileen today. As you mentioned, conditions were basically perfect for racing. Congratulations to both of you on your great finishes!

Unfortunately, I didn't podium in my age group (and probably never will) but I'm relatively happy with my top 40 overall finish.

Tony

Eileen

Awesome race

I tried to pace myself on the first run because I'm really not a runner. All I was thinking about was how I couldn't wait to get on my bike.

Once I was on my bike, I felt pretty good. I was having fun passing some of the runners. The two laps were done before I knew it.

When I got of my bike in the transition area and tried to run I almost fell over. My legs were done. Once I got going my legs cramped up big time. There was a lady just in front of me and I was killing myself to keep up with her. It was good because she forced me to keep a good pace. I tried to remind myself it was only two more miles.

Throughout the whole race I didn't have a watch and my bike computer wasn't working. I had no idea what time it was or where I was on the course. I think it was better to not know.

The guy that runs this race is hilarious. The award ceremony had everyone laughing. I had a ton of fun and I will definitely be there next year :D

JerseyT nice meeting you

Great Job to Sharon, Jennel and Lauren! Way to go girls!!!!

Top Bottom