Mountain Lions

SpartaBard

Mtn Lions in NJ

If you definitely want to see a Mtn Lion in NJ go to Space Farms or Turtle Back Zoo. When you see them at the zoo, you can understand why it is impossible to misidentify them. They are very distinctive from anything else we have here.

My only questions about them in the east is why have they not been found dead on the side of the road, hit by a car, like they are regularly down in Florida and out west?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Dude you need to get out more, I,ve been stalked by coyotes on winter rides right in your backyard!

True, I do need to get out more...

It is odd, though...wildlife seems to avoid me when I'm at MDR. I've had *way* more bear sightings and "run-ins" with bears while road riding than mtb'ing at MDR. I think in 1500+ miles of riding up there I've only seen three bears...I've seen more than that in my yard this week.

At any rate, 'still haven't seen a coyote up here...

mtn_goat

no real evidence yet of mtn lions east of the missisippi

This might cause a bit of an uproar (no pun intended) but I just went to a presentation at High Point State Park about cougars in the east, specifically east of the Mississippi. Despite what everyone wants to believe, there are still no scientific evidence such as legit pictures, scat, dead mtn lions, and prints to verify that they are breeding here.

There are thousands of automated cameras mounted all over the place across the country, and only the cameras in the west actually have pictures of cougars, meanwhile, the ones in the east don't have any.

Also, there are no road kills of any. The ones that may actually be out there are released pets when they got too big to care for, or escaped ones, but they are not breeding to grow the population.

It would be nice to have them, they would not go after people as everyone thinks they would. They would be going after the deer that are over populated here. I am more afraid of hitting a deer in the car, which is more likely than being attacked by a mountain lion.

If you notice while you are on your next mtb ride, look around, you don't see too much undergrowth in the woods, that is from all the deer feeding on it since they do not have any real predators chasing them and keeping them on the move. Look at the side of the roads, and you see a lot of undergrowth, that is becuase the deer do not like to eat close to the roads because of the traffic scaring them.

If you do see one, definitely enjoy the site, and if possible, take a picture, and then see if you can find any tracks of it, then take a picture of the track and send it to this web site for confirmation:
http://www.easterncougar.org/

mtn_goat

It was Christopher Spatz, the President of the Eastern Cougar Foundation.
He has done studies at High Point and Minnewaska State Park Preserve, NY.

Panhead

The first I heard of mountain lions was in West Milford about 15 years ago. A hunting buddy found a deer carcus up in a tree. Another friend of mine on the other side of Vernon saw one in his back yard, when DEP came they told him he was mistaken. They are in Waway, along with bob cats. If you want coyote head over by the shelter on the AT in the park.

SpartaBard

True, I do need to get out more...

It is odd, though...wildlife seems to avoid me when I'm at MDR. I've had *way* more bear sightings and "run-ins" with bears while road riding than mtb'ing at MDR. I think in 1500+ miles of riding up there I've only seen three bears...I've seen more than that in my yard this week.

At any rate, 'still haven't seen a coyote up here...

I have seen a few coyotes in my yard, and heard many more. Unfortunately my field cam has not picked any up yet. I need to get it fixed though after an encounter with a bear ripping it down.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I can't believe a scientist looking for evidence everyday comes up w/ a no on mtn lions. Not that i think humans are a food choice really but these cats are stimulated by movement(much like your housecats) they will hit you and then realize your not what they thought. But then your dead anyway. They do like to let things stew for awhile so maybe someone will find your body before they come back to eat you.FYI possible sighting of a cub today around Long Valley, lets see if it makes the news:popcorn:

Cougars in NJ?

Oh yeah... there ARE cougars in Jersey for sure... I've seen em with my own eyes....at the Holiday Inn Lounge on Route 46....

Seriously, I live in Montgomery Twp (near Sourlands), and about 3 years ago there were numerous sightings reported here within the span of a few weeks(but never confirmed with physical evidence).

I spoke to a cop in Mt Olive 2 years ago who swears he and his partner saw one on the edge of the road a few weeks earlier.

Whenever I ride alone, especially at night, I don't think of bears or axe-murderers... I think of cougars... scary stuff if they DO in fact exist here...

BB

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions