Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

Since my last post, Art and I have been out twice with local mountain bikers, and county and federal land management to assess the trails up behind our house. The forest service is in the process of redesigning their recreational trails plans. We were there to help them locate problem areas to be re-routed on the existing trails that are in the process of being adopted. Also to help lay out some new trails to be written into the new plan. While this is super exciting news, this is all early stages and a timeline was not mentioned. In addition, this is not easy terrain to find a viable route as it is filled with giant cliff like rocks and deep crevices.

On our first day out all four of us spent 6 hours out in the field and did not come home with a complete route and solution other than: it may be easier to repair the old trail. Next day out was much more successful and we completed another trail with multiple problems areas and solutions mapped out in only 4 hours. We also helped them find a gate/trail location. The volunteer group carried the gate up to the general location a few weeks ago, but one gate will be replacing two gates that are about 100 feet apart. The terrain is steep, with rock slab, a drainage and a creek. We felt confident with our solution, and hope it gets approved so those gates can get installed. Like the new gate installed down lower on the trail, it is a combo horse swing gate and roll over for bikers and hikers. The gates separate state from national forest service. Both areas are grazed and fenced by local rancher. While the rancher manages cattle on horseback, he and his son do some mountain biking as well, which is pretty cool!

IMG_E0880.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_E1751.jpg

We needed a week off from trail assessments to visit with some friends from out of town and to take a rest. We also are getting down to our last four weeks here and need to complete some home maintenance: sealing the roof which is now done and re doing the parapet on the shed. Flat roofs need periodic maintenance. The maintenance on this house seems to be a bit much at times, but still seems to be worth it for what we get from this place. We re-evaluate often and at some point we may decide it is too much.

We have a few big rides lined up for the next few days and it may hit 90 degrees. We hope to get out early and complete before it gets hot. There is not much shade out here on the trails. The flowers could be outstanding, so looking forward to riding up in the hills.

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

While yesterdays ride was fun, it was my first hot ride/day this year and a decent ride effort. The car thermometer said 103 when we got back but actual was probably only 94 or so. I felt like I had to drink a gallon of liquids afterwards. I was pretty wiped out more from heat than actual riding. My knees did not hurt which is good, but I am taking today off the bike. The temps should regulate after today and return into the 70's and 80's for daily highs. Usually I may turn on the house A/C a few times in March, April and November, but last night was the first time I turned it on this whole winter. I may do a "siesta" this afternoon. :cool:

I finally got our fountain cleaned out. I clean it often, but every 4-5 weeks it needs a complete water change and scrubbing. It was a tad over due because the tree droopings were delayed a month this year. You can see how nasty it looks with all the tassels in it.

Art also got a start on stucco for the parapet. He had to chip off all the old stucco and remove what was rotten underneath, seal with roofing tar, cover with wire mesh and re-stucco before covering with the roofing material. He ran out of mortar. So he will have to finish tomorrow. He has been only working mornings while we have temps in the 90's. I think we are on schedule with this project.

Yesterday's heat created afternoon storm clouds and most the rain activity was virga (rain that does not touch the ground). Because the clouds, the temps dropped and made for a lovely evening eating outside and enjoying the night air. No big rides planned for the next few days as we are both having our suspension serviced. Guru suspension is the best! I make sure to do it every year while I am out here. If I ride tomorrow, I will either do a road ride or ride my steel hardtail. I think I will just decide when I wake up. ... that part of being retired is what I love.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

I got out for an early local solo ride today on the steel hardtail. There were tons of mariposa lilies blooming, and I ran into my first seasonal gila monster.... yay! They are so bad ass cool! I also ran into a snake. The snake happened real fast so not sure what it was. Perhaps a gopher snake or rattlesnake. I was not too into the hard tail part of the ride, but had plenty of sightseeing distractions to make it a great ride.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_E0964.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Today's ride: We got up on Ringeline Trail. This ride is always spectacular in spring because of all the flowers. I was riding with a group so I did not stop at every flower along the way. Plus they always look better live than in pictures. It was spectacular! With my Pivot still in for service, I rode my Siren. That was interesting trying to remember to finesse and not sit so much. I certainly have gotten a bit hardtail sloppy while riding a full suspension all the time. We did the loop clockwise which has less severe climbing and a little more excitement descending. I prefer it this direction and it is a little less taxing on my body. It was nice to reconnect with my old bike. Temperatures were ideal for me: upper 60's to start and upper 70's at the end with a light breeze and no humidity. Feeling tired but good right now. :)

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_E1009.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Got my bike back today from Guru. Besides a full suspension service, it now has Fox 34 step cast which is a lighter and newer version of the fork that I scratched up pretty good. I will take it out tomorrow and test and dial in. I think the bike is in pretty good shape for racing this year.

You know it is getting to be time to head back east when asked "where do you want to ride?" ... My answer is: "Sterling". Yes, I will enjoy the hell out of my last few weeks here, but the NJ/NY woods are starting to call me. I miss my friends. I miss some humidity, big ferns, the pond and the shade. ....Counting down the last few weeks.

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

We rode local today and saw a few cactus that were starting to bloom. They should be really nice in the the next week or so. With all the rain this winter, tons of buds have formed. I am expecting it to be a cactus super bloom. It was lovely out there today, but things were starting to get warm on the way back home. We did not get out until 9:15. We may need to get an earlier start next time. I was major tired today. I have been tired all week. It has been a week since I did the Ridgeline trail. I was hoping I would be recovered by now, but apparently not. I hope to feel better Sunday. On a good note, Art had a great ride today!

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1082 (1).jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Today was another trail assessment outing. We all biked in. We had a National Forest recreational service rep and their recreational trail building expert with us as well as the mountain biker that has been doing most the scouting and mapping for the local mountain bike group that has the relationship with forest service. We were looking for some reroutes on the Gnar-gnar trail that were either super eroded or too steep to walk. They were looking for more sustainable solutions and ok to add some alternate climbing/ intermediate lines. Not sure if those in charge will be open to 2 options, but currently the trail is one way and not for the the faint at heart. I walk numerous drops, all the slabs and the famous toilet bowl As we were at the big slabs, we met a guy sessioning and he could barely get up to re do. After he said, "I wish there was another way up. Plus I could bring my wife up here". Honestly, we did not cue him, but it was perfect.

On our scout, Art found an awesome reroute with "wow" views and cool rock features, not to mention that it went right by a crested Saguaro. The trail building expert said is was doable and actually was excited about it. So things went really well. We are glad to be able to be a part of this. We still have no time line, just helping them collect data before they finalize any plan. Always nice to be heard before hand. The terrain up here is pretty awesome, so this would be really nice to see some improvements and additions. We are excited!

As our time here winds down for the season, my vegetables are finally starting to produce. ... ho well. The temps have been pretty warm in the afternoons and I find myself hiding in the shade of the house. I do not know if I would like to spend a summer out here when it hits over 100 every day for three months.

....Looking forward to getting back east.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

We did our farewell to Starr Pass ride today with our friends Mike and Brenda. It was really fun but I had a little frustration mid ride. Because of all the chunk, Starr is probably the best place to test and dial a new fork, as not many places are that rough. However it can be bad if you do not hit it right. I struggled a bit, having to drop some air and then feeling terrible and having to increase dampening. I think I got it now and the ride ended much better. Temps were pretty good while riding, but started to feel hot whenever we stopped. Cactus were starting to bloom. Without much rain in the past 2 months, the wild flowers faded quickly. It is so nice to get a few more rounds of color with both cactus blooming and trees blooming. .... All pretty amazing for the desert. When I got home, a few of my lady finger cactus had blooms (pink).

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Today it is supposed to hit 99 degrees downtown. It may only get to 95 here. Either way, the rest of my day will be mostly indoors or in the shade. We had a great local ride yesterday before it got hot. We hope to get in two more rides this week before we leave town to make our trek across the country.

We had an Arizona king snake in the driveway yesterday. I had never seen one before. It was a beauty! This time of year it feels like the critters take over. It is always amazing how many things live in this hot, dry place.

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_E1847.jpg

IMG_E1851.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

We did our last "Around the Mountain" ride today and it was awesome! We actually saw three gila monsters. We took a good look around trying to soak up all we could. We have been graced with a few cooler days in the 70's making today's ride so enjoyable. The cooler temps should be real nice for packing the next few days.

IMG_1214.jpg

gila.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Garden drips and potted plant drips on summer mode, and we are out. We did our usual northern Arizona route out. It makes for an easy transition from relax mode to travel mode with enjoying some sights before hitting the interstate. I had been going back and forth about whether to leave Saturday or Sunday because of some unsettled weather in the middle of the country. I finally went for Sunday and it worked out great. We pulled into our hotel in Missouri with dark clouds, but no rain while driving. 30 minutes into our hotel stay, we were called to the lobby for tornado lock down. It was just a 30 minute t-storm and no twisters. I got a cool picture out our hotel window afterwards. Pretty good weather the rest of the trip. However, I am pretty sick of sitting in a car.

I am tired, but it feels good to be back. Today I got out to ride at Sterling which was great. My legs were shot from being in the car for 4 days. Hoping to feel better for my next ride.

IMG_8287.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Last edited:
Garden drips and potted plant drips on summer mode, and we are out. We did our usual norther Arizona route out. It makes for an easy transition from relax mode to travel mode with enjoying some sights before hitting the interstate. I had been going back and forth about whether to leave Saturday or Sunday because of some unsettled weather in the middle of the country. I finally went for Sunday and it worked out great. We pulled into our hotel in Missouri with dark clouds, but no rain while driving. 30 minutes into our hotel stay, we were called to the lobby for tornado lock down. It was just a 30 minute t-storm and no twisters. I got a cool picture out our hotel window afterwards. Pretty good weather the rest of the trip. However, I am pretty sick of sitting in a car.

I am tired, but it feels good to be back. Today I got out to ride at Sterling which was great. My legs were shot from being in the car for 4 days. Hoping to feel better for my next ride.

View attachment 213379

View attachment 213380

View attachment 213381

View attachment 213382

View attachment 213383
Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom