Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

So last week Art was feeling much better. He went out for a few rides and even went to Dirty Thursday trail work. However, too much activity wore him down and he was feeling like he was going backwards for a few days. He probably did too much. It is easy to do. I know from experience. You go from pain to no pain which feels great so you want to return to normal activity, but your body is not quite ready for full activity. Most medical professionals are unaware of what some of us active people expect to do in our daily lives, so when they say do what you feel up to, you need be prepared for some let down. Anyway, Art rested over the weekend and was able to go back up to the woods to work today, and this time he capped it at 2 hours. Personally, 2 hours is perfect for me because I can get in, do some work and get out before I get sore.

I have found a super borrow pit of dirt at our current work location. Sometimes trying to dig dirt in Ringwood can be a tough experience, trying to get through all the rocks and roots. It makes a mess of my neck and back muscles, so this current situation is much appreciated. The trail work is coming along nicely.

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

rocksafter.jpg

I have been enjoying this slightly cooler and drier weather the last few days. We really do need rain though. I feel like I have to water my flowers every day or they start to wilt. Forget my lawn. It is a burnt patch. Hopefully more rain will come soon. Here are some shots from the woods at Ringwood the last few days.

sunset reyerson.jpg

ilgebstein1.jpg

ilgenstein2.jpg
eat signs.jpg

Thankfully we got some rain up here, and we sure needed it. Art and I were able to work some dirt up on the new trail yesterday, but 4 inches down is still powder. More rain will be needed. As I started today's ride, it smelled like fall. One day of rain and leaves are down and decomposing. I feel fall creeping in. Art and I took an easy ride day and sat at Shepherd's Lake for a bit. It sure is nice to have the park so close to use and relax during the week. All this is part of being in retirement mode.

Another related part of retirement is getting older, and I am now at the point where I need glasses to ride as well as read. Yeh, sure I can ride without them, but I miss all the wonderful stuff in the woods that I really want to see. I tried bifocals and they are ok but I have decided to take the leap and get progressive (no line trifocals) for riding as well. I had to order online and try on at a store first. Being that I can not see without my glasses on, I have to try on and take a selfie so I can check the size. I looked at my picture and all I thought was that I looked as if I was ready to rob a convenient store. Well, the glasses are on order, and I just about pulled my hair out trying to find a pair that would fit, so I hope they actually come and work out ok .

Tonight Art and I are going out to dinner at Valley Rock for my birthday, which was a few days ago. We have only eaten out a few times since all this covid stuff started, so it should be nice.

IMG_9750.jpg

art at pond.jpg

stick em up.jpg

Thankfully we got some rain up here, and we sure needed it. Art and I were able to work some dirt up on the new trail yesterday, but 4 inches down is still powder. More rain will be needed. As I started today's ride, it smelled like fall. One day of rain and leaves are down and decomposing. I feel fall creeping in. Art and I took an easy ride day and sat at Shepherd's Lake for a bit. It sure is nice to have the park so close to use and relax during the week. All this is part of being in retirement mode.

Another related part of retirement is getting older, and I am now at the point where I need glasses to ride as well as read. Yeh, sure I can ride without them, but I miss all the wonderful stuff in the woods that I really want to see. I tried bifocals and they are ok but I have decided to take the leap and get progressive (no line trifocals) for riding as well. I had to order online and try on at a store first. Being that I can not see without my glasses on, I have to try on and take a selfie so I can check the size. I looked at my picture and all I thought was that I looked as if I was ready to rob a convenient store. Well, the glasses are on order, and I just about pulled my hair out trying to find a pair that would fit, so I hope they actually come and work out ok .

Tonight Art and I are going out to dinner at Valley Rock for my birthday, which was a few days ago. We have only eaten out a few times since all this covid stuff started, so it should be nice.

View attachment 194588

View attachment 194589

View attachment 194590
Donna and I always sit on that picnic table (or the bench behind that tree if the table is taken) when we cycle to the lake...only easy ride for us!

Unfortunately I had to buy riding glasses a few years ago, progressive lenses it's the way to go in my opinion for this sport. $$$ though...and due a new set of lenses if I ever manage to get this cataract operation done!

Happy belated birthday!

Donna and I always sit on that picnic table (or the bench behind that tree if the table is taken) when we cycle to the lake...only easy ride for us!

Unfortunately I had to buy riding glasses a few years ago, progressive lenses it's the way to go in my opinion for this sport. $$$ though...and due a new set of lenses if I ever manage to get this cataract operation done!

Happy belated birthday!
Yes, the cataract surgery can change your RX. I am still 5+ years out on that. Hope yours can get done soon. I have a few friends that had the surgery and are thrilled with results.

Going into last weekend my mom had a joint replacement, which I may have been overly concerned with, due to her age. However, it went well. I have been able to tag team with my sister over the last week to get my mom up and running somewhat on her own. She is doing surprisingly well. In addition to that, MTBNJ came up to Ringwood to lend a hand with the re-route project last weekend and the trail is officially open. Actually the crew kicked butt !! A big thanks to you all.

Monday Art fractured a rib, so we are super grateful to have the trail open as trail work may slow down over the next few weeks. Art is currently feeling ok and able to walk and do some very light work, so not not terrible.

No pictures today.

Going into last weekend my mom had a joint replacement, which I may have been overly concerned with, due to her age. However, it went well. I have been able to tag team with my sister over the last week to get my mom up and running somewhat on her own. She is doing surprisingly well. In addition to that, MTBNJ came up to Ringwood to lend a hand with the re-route project last weekend and the trail is officially open. Actually the crew kicked butt !! A big thanks to you all.

Monday Art fractured a rib, so we are super grateful to have the trail open as trail work may slow down over the next few weeks. Art is currently feeling ok and able to walk and do some very light work, so not not terrible.

No pictures today.
Ouch and ouch...glad things are looking up though.

As much as the recent rains are really needed, a few rainy days in a row always make me gloomy inside. Hopefully the sun will pop out soon. In the mean time, I have been enjoying the new mushrooms and little wet spots in the woods. The rains have certainly helped the new trails.

My male hummingbirds have gone for the season but I still get a few females tanking up for their journey. The wood ducks are now in full color and starting to court on the pond. I am not ready to leave NY yet, but I do feel the seasons starting to change. The seasons changing reminds me that our departure for AZ is not far away. I am not quite ready to go just yet, but giving in to the anticipation is just around the corner.

Art got on a bike the other day, which was 2 weeks after he fractured his rib. He is not anywhere near 100%, but was able to deal with bouncing around on a bike. And by the size of the rocks he has been moving, I would say it has not been holding him back too much. He got a bunch done last week and might be moving ahead to the next section. We did accidentally open up a ground nest of bees, but it was not on the trail, so riders should be ok. I have been noticing many bees going into holes in the ground. It is that time of year, but I am hoping we are NOT going to have a bad bee sting year.

lemon squeeze.jpg

mushroom.jpg

troll.jpg

poison ivy.jpg

We have wood ducks who hang around the wastewater treatment plant I work at, very cool to see since for the longest time I thought white and mallard ducks were the only kind here in NJ.

We have wood ducks who hang around the wastewater treatment plant I work at, very cool to see since for the longest time I thought white and mallard ducks were the only kind here in NJ.
Yes, the wood ducks are way cool. The males look almost cartoonish with their markings, and the little duckings are super tough. They jump out of trees as new borns and manage to survive snapping turtles. I don't know how they all survive every year and none of the signet survive.

So, Thursday night was the the last night of Dirty Thursday for the season. We completed upper section tweaks and started packing out tools. We walked out at dusk just a few hours before the fall equinox. What a perfect way to wrap up the work season with a cool nip in the air and a complete project. I would like to send a big thanks to Ringwood Trail Crew and the many volunteers that have been out there helping with this project from Thanksgiving last year to this past Thursday. The trail rides flowy, and while not super technical, it can be ridden in both direction by most. It can be sampled at the festival tomorrow if you care to venture to the south end of the park. Enjoy!

Hope to see many of you at the festival. If you missed registration for the festival, You can still get in as a walk up.

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

So, Thursday night was the the last night of Dirty Thursday for the season. We completed upper section tweaks and started packing out tools. We walked out at dusk just a few hours before the fall equinox. What a perfect way to wrap up the work season with a cool nip in the air and a complete project. I would like to send a big thanks to Ringwood Trail Crew and the many volunteers that have been out there helping with this project from Thanksgiving last year to this past Thursday. The trail rides flowy, and while not super technical, it can be ridden in both direction by most. It can be sampled at the festival tomorrow if you care to venture to the south end of the park. Enjoy!

Hope to see many of you at the festival. If you missed registration for the festival, You can still get in as a walk up.

View attachment 196864

View attachment 196865

View attachment 196866
Thank you for yet another great addition to the already wonderful RSP trail system.

I have had a few days to chill and wanted to comment on the festival. While my involvement is just the trail building part, A ton of volunteer time goes into the actual event by many volunteers, and you are one awesome group! Thank you for making this happen! It is so encouraging to see such support in our community.

No pictures today.

Last edited:
I had a down yesterday while feeling crappy the day after booster shot. Needless to say, I am not happy being home sick. Today it felt wonderful to be well and on my bike. It is amazing what a bike ride can do for you! ..... Life is good and I love riding my bike. I am so lucky to be a part of this.

selfiecooper.jpg

yellowblaze.jpg

snake.jpg

flame.jpg

grass.jpg

aster.jpg

fig.jpg

Another beautiful day out there today. A sunny day always seems better when it follows a few rainy days. I went for a ride and let myself get frustrated. I am usually not that type but I may have been tired and then my shifter slipped and I let it get to me. It slipped on my last ride as well. Not the shifter on the bar, but the thumb angle adjustment. The screw seems to back out, and if I push too hard, it spins out of reach. Then my gears started skipping all over and I could not figure out why or how to fix. I finally got home and it turned out to be my skewer was getting loose. The bike shop had put something on that to prevent that from happening, and it has been good for 10 months. It worked so well that I forgot about it. Totally my bad! So silly to let it mess my vibe on a beautiful day. Good news is that I should have a chance to redeem myself, as tomorrow is looking to be really nice.

Over the past week the local riding has been great! The leaves are starting to turn and the last few warm days have been wonderful. I certainly have been savoring my last month of rides here. I am starting to anticipate being back in AZ soon, but have not been as stoked about returning to AZ riding. The local AZ riding is good, but not quite as good as here. As the temps go down here, I am sure my stoke for AZ riding will grow stronger once again. ....Just not quite yet.

Today I started cleaning bikes in anticipation of change. Yes, I am starting to consider a possible new bike next year. Part of that, is letting go of my 2013 pivot 429 which has been so good to me and won me a national title. I am feeling like it is time to sell the bike and let someone else enjoy the ride. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a super XC bike with 120mm front fork, please let me know.

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg

Over the past week the local riding has been great! The leaves are starting to turn and the last few warm days have been wonderful. I certainly have been savoring my last month of rides here. I am starting to anticipate being back in AZ soon, but have not been as stoked about returning to AZ riding. The local AZ riding is good, but not quite as good as here. As the temps go down here, I am sure my stoke for AZ riding will grow stronger once again. ....Just not quite yet.

Today I started cleaning bikes in anticipation of change. Yes, I am starting to consider a possible new bike next year. Part of that, is letting go of my 2013 pivot 429 which has been so good to me and won me a national title. I am feeling like it is time to sell the bike and let someone else enjoy the ride. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a super XC bike with 120mm front fork, please let me know.

View attachment 198120

View attachment 198122

View attachment 198125

View attachment 198126

View attachment 198128

Just so you know your rocky mountian is still in the family, lbe passed it down to my grandson. Still has all the xtr bits and has filled the void of both my kids.

Back
Top Bottom