Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Today I got a chance to ride up high behind our house. As usual, it was amazing. I am back to riding on my old fox fork and it certainly handles better. I have no idea if it was how I set up the DVO, or the travel and head angle change. It just felt good to me today and my neck does not hurt now. I was able to nail a new section so that is always an accomplishment. I am very thankful to have this little gem of a techy area so close to the house. It is very scenic, not very crowded, and never seems to get boring.

We have been enjoying nice temps, but some cooler weather is on the way. The leaves on the ornamental pistachio trees in our courtyard have started to turn color and start to drop. While things tend to hang on longer at our place up on the hill, the vineyard down the street is completely dormant. We met with neighbors yesterday to discuss vegetable growing ideas, and I realize we have a much longer grow season up the hill. My tomatoes are still yielding fruit, and my lemons and oranges are starting to be picked.

Art has been helping a neighbor build a shade structure. He is almost done so maybe time for us to think about another outdoor project at our place. I was hoping to add another garden in front of our house for a Meyer lemon tree. Next tree planting time is February, so no rush on that garden. I was very impressed with one of our neighbors who planted a grapefruit tree from seed 15 years ago. It looked huge, healthy and full of fruit. I have much to learn, as my trees seem to look stressed and fruit is minimal in comparison.

cowboy.jpg

rattlesnak canyon.jpg

aloe1.jpg

aloe2.jpg

spike2spike.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pixychick

Out of curiosity, has much changed in the NJ-->AZ-->NJ travelling? I think when I spoke to you guys about it you did a long trip out there via your van, and broke it up so it wasn't a painful straight shot.

Curious what changes you've done over the years, IE improvements on that back and forth between the living spots.

Also, what do you do about caretaking of the houses that you're not at for months at a time? Neighbors/Friends? A service?

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
@pixychick

Out of curiosity, has much changed in the NJ-->AZ-->NJ travelling? I think when I spoke to you guys about it you did a long trip out there via your van, and broke it up so it wasn't a painful straight shot.

Curious what changes you've done over the years, IE improvements on that back and forth between the living spots.

Also, what do you do about caretaking of the houses that you're not at for months at a time? Neighbors/Friends? A service?
Well, we used to travel out on southern route via western NC and back direct. While we attempted to stop and ride a few times the first few years, we kind of gave up because it always seemed to be raining in the middle of the country. We did manage to stop in Bentonville once but rides were short b/c rain. Art's mom is now in a nursing home in NC and can not have visitors with this whole covid thing so we have been going direct back and forth with no extra stops the past 3 times. To be honest, stopping sounds cool, but when it comes down to it, we prefer to just get to where we want to be and not drag it out. Perhaps there will be a time when we get to travel about with less stuff in our truck and perhaps camp out and explore more places out west, but for now, the places we want to see would only make the trip longer. One thing that has made the traveling much easier is the use of a travel app and booking hotels with kitchens. While I do not mind checking out local eateries in non pandemic times, it is quicker and more healthy to bring our meals.

Our neighbors out here feed the hummingbirds while we are gone. It was actually their idea, but we do pay them. My friend is house sitting back east, but usually my neighbor/friend would come in and water plants once a week and just keep an eye out. It is a condo so the outside stuff gets done by the association. This is what is arranged right now, but could change at any time. I suppose the back and forth will become too much at some point, but we are trying to enjoy it's benefits for now.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I was greeted at my front door this morning by a peacock. There was a Mrs peacock as well. I am not sure what neighbor they belong to, but they have been hanging out most the day. Many of our neighbors have lots of animals. The neighbors behind us currently have 3 giant dogs, geese, chickens, 3 mini goats and some turkey. My guess is that the peacocks belong to them. It is usually a rotating menagerie.

My tomatoes, lettuce and brocolli are still going and sugar snap peas are just sprouting. I have had to hand water because many seedlings are popping up all over. I have noticed poppies, lupine and penstemon. We still have had very little rain and most of what is growing in the wild is pretty crispy. On today's ride we got up high enough to be at the edge of the burn area. One side of the trail was burned and the other side not burned. As burn and little rain goes, it did not look too bad. The trail was also in great shape considering. It was a fun ride and our first time on this trail this year.

peacock.JPG

tom.jpg

handtom.jpg

yellow.jpg

pea pod.jpg

lupine.jpg

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Very bummed I didn't get to ride with you this trip. Now that I have a better idea where you are I'll make sure to add you to my trip next year.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Today we had a 90% chance of rain and it just slid east or west of us all day. There is another rain system coming through in a few days so we are keeping our fingers crossed in hopes that we get some real rain. The desert is sooo crispy! You can see from the first photo what it gets like when winds pick up. Particulate gets air born down town creating a smog like bad air quality day. Luckily most days have been light winds.

Art started another cement, block and stucco project: raised mini garden in driveway. We hope to plant a meyer lemon tree in that garden. When he pulled up the bricks he found a hot electrical wire. He was able to add an outlet in the driveway. We did not have a working outlet out there, so that was a plus. Maybe RV guests next year!

I planted a bunch of veggie and herb seeds indoors. I am trying peat pods and they are working good so far. I already have some transplanted into small pots. While my tomatoes are still going strong in thunderdome, we do still have frost danger, so I will wait a few more weeks for baby plants outdoors. In addition, I also propagated some succulents. From what I read, you just cut off arms, let harden, and plant with root hormone. We'll see how it goes.

I wish I had some new exciting rides to share, but just the usual rides from home these last few weeks.

sunset1.jpg
sinset2.jpg
spirit.jpg
block.jpg

serviceguy

Today we had a 90% chance of rain and it just slid east or west of us all day. There is another rain system coming through in a few days so we are keeping our fingers crossed in hopes that we get some real rain. The desert is sooo crispy! You can see from the first photo what it gets like when winds pick up. Particulate gets air born down town creating a smog like bad air quality day. Luckily most days have been light winds.

Art started another cement, block and stucco project: raised mini garden in driveway. We hope to plant a meyer lemon tree in that garden. When he pulled up the bricks he found a hot electrical wire. He was able to add an outlet in the driveway. We did not have a working outlet out there, so that was a plus. Maybe RV guests next year!

I planted a bunch of veggie and herb seeds indoors. I am trying peat pods and they are working good so far. I already have some transplanted into small pots. While my tomatoes are still going strong in thunderdome, we do still have frost danger, so I will wait a few more weeks for baby plants outdoors. In addition, I also propagated some succulents. From what I read, you just cut off arms, let harden, and plant with root hormone. We'll see how it goes.

I wish I had some new exciting rides to share, but just the usual rides from home these last few weeks.

View attachment 149507View attachment 149508View attachment 149509View attachment 149510

Looks like that chicken took it's tan a little too far!

Ah, it's that time of the year! My wife is about to fill the house with tomato, zucchini, cucumber etc. pods. She uses some cheap UV lamps that she bought off Amazon or eBay or both to get them started, and they seem to do well. She's also tried to start them in water jugs (hydroponic ?) and then transplant them, that work well as well, they really seem to get started fast that way.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Looks like that chicken took it's tan a little too far!

Ah, it's that time of the year! My wife is about to fill the house with tomato, zucchini, cucumber etc. pods. She uses some cheap UV lamps that she bought off Amazon or eBay or both to get them started, and they seem to do well. She's also tried to start them in water jugs (hydroponic ?) and then transplant them, that work well as well, they really seem to get started fast that way.
Hydroponic is very popular out here. I did not try b/c I wanted nutrients from compost soil in the veggies, but using for a starter is a great idea. I never thought of that.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Friday Art and I went downtown to ride Starr. It was fun and a nice change to ride somewhere different than the usual local stuff. Starr has a new trail built from last year so it makes for a new variety of loops. Although the bulk of trails at Starr are not as technical as the upper stuff behind our house, they have a bit of chunky rock and nice views. I also have done more trail work at Starr so every time I ride by a section that I built, I give myself a pat on the back because those few sections came out great. I actually learned some new stuff on the work days at Starr.

Rain has finally come to this dry crispy place. During brief clearing in the clouds, I can see snow on the mountains and it looks more like winter. Rain and snow is supposed to continue on and off for a few more days. We may actually see 25 degrees Tuesday night. That usually means covering some plants or even bringing some in the house. Generally it only freezes for a few hours, but if things stay cold longer I could loose annuals.

Art got the stucco coat on the planter wall before the rain. That job is on hold now for a few days or until the rain stops. I am glad the rain may be a round for a few days because my rainy day projects have been stacking up.

snowsammy.jpg

sprouts.jpg

brocilli.jpg

garden drive.jpg

firesky.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
The bulk of this last rain/snow system has moved out and we got about 3/4 of an inch if rain which is good. The snow did come down to our house, but most of what was in the yard has already melted. Snow will probably be visible on the mountains for a few days. Mt Lemon got over a foot of snow, which will translate to water flowing down my way soon. All this is good.

Being stuck in the house for a few days has me all caught up with rainy day projects, and as soon as trails dry out, I need to get on my bike. Too much sitting around makes me feel old and stiff. I need to go cover plants now, so I will get some pictures up later.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a good video of the trails behind our house that someone just posted on youtube:

They fail to mention Cholla.

I'm still emotionally scarred from my first time biking in Tucson and whacking a Cholla with my gloved hand...

They should hand out leaflets when you're departing the airplane.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Yes, all things plant and animal out here have an attitude, and there are consequences. We all ride with cholla pick and tweezers.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Today Art and I laid a concrete slab. It was about 14 "80 lb bags" worth. He was stressing about how to do it fast enough so I insisted on helping. I can lift "a" 80 lb bag, but not 14 so Art mixed and shoveled and I worked into corners with blade and did rough smooth. I had never done this before, but was learning as I went. Art came back over and did final smooth. It was kind of cool, kind of like playing with mud pies. It worked pretty well. All masons have a helper to keep things going before it sets up.

A few weeks back we added some lights to our sitting room off the kitchen. I am just getting to the pictures today. I have wanted to do this for a long time. The problem was that the wood ceiling it structural as in the wood in 4 inch thick timbers and no space above to run electrical. The one wire up there runs across the roof. We needed another light and Art did not want to run the wire outside or destroy the beautiful timbers. I had seen a picture of a home out here with industrial looking lighting and thought we could make something that looked functional and fit in with the rustic decor. Art created a black pipe to run the wire. The lighting is perfect!

On today's ride I got up on the high 50 stuff. I was feeling a bit more confident and got myself riding some more stuff. There may have been as many as 10 things that I cleaned for the first time. Woohoo! It is always nice to feel like one has some success as a retired person! I did not ride the mega slab, but I may next time. I think it is within my skill set. I like to have something to mentally work towards. Came across this spine as well. Maybe a baby deer, not sure. Always cool stuff out there.

spine.jpg
slab1.jpg
slab2.jpg
slab3.jpg
IMG_7792.jpg
kitchen.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Front planters/cement work all done. Meyer lemon tree is planted as well as vine. Two pictures of vine: one before and after cow got into our yard at night and ate half the vine. It actually had flowers before. Now those flowers are just cow poo somewhere . :( I have no idea how the cow got in. All fences where in tact. The cow must have jumped or perhaps teleported. Jumping is not their first instinct, but if hungry enough, a cow may do what ever it must to survive.

Snow on Mt Lemon is melting and the wash is running across our street. Temps have been really nice and trending on the warm side for February. Flowers are popping in our garden wherever I water. The rest is still crispy. Maybe rain next Sunday. It feels like spring already. Art put his back out so only local solo rides for me, but hopefully Art will be back on a bike soon.

IMG_5762.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5753.jpg

serviceguy

Front planters/cement work all done. Meyer lemon tree is planted as well as vine. Two pictures of vine: one before and after cow got into our yard at night and ate half the vine. It actually had flowers before. Now those flowers are just cow poo somewhere . :( I have no idea how the cow got in. All fences where in tact. The cow must have jumped or perhaps teleported. Jumping is not their first instinct, but if hungry enough, a cow may do what ever it must to survive.

Snow on Mt Lemon is melting and the wash is running across our street. Temps have been really nice and trending on the warm side for February. Flowers are popping in our garden wherever I water. The rest is still crispy. Maybe rain next Sunday. It feels like spring already. Art put his back out so only local solo rides for me, but hopefully Art will be back on a bike soon.

View attachment 151470 View attachment 151471View attachment 151472View attachment 151473
Is Art going for the 'skinny Santa' look this year? The house looks fab, congratulations!

Top Bottom