Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

serviceguy

Would love to hear more stories Leo. I will give the rolling pin another try to get thinner.

I would also accept a hand off, Patrick, if you can find yours. Thank you.
I have been discussing old dessert recipes with my cousin in Sicily, she's been trying to collect some family old recipes from other cousins. My 2 unmarried aunties (my paternal grandmother died when I was about 4 so I can't really remember much) used to organize their whole summer around their brothers and sisters (there was 8 of them) as well as many nephews and nieces going back to the family home on vacation, and those were very happy weeks that I remember being filled with all sorts of culinary delicacies...I was never skinny kid! Once I try to replicate some I'll be more than happy to share if the results are edible...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have been discussing old dessert recipes with my cousin in Sicily, she's been trying to collect some family old recipes from other cousins. My 2 unmarried aunties (my paternal grandmother died when I was about 4 so I can't really remember much) used to organize their whole summer around their brothers and sisters (there was 8 of them) as well as many nephews and nieces going back to the family home on vacation, and those were very happy weeks that I remember being filled with all sorts of culinary delicacies...I was never skinny kid! Once I try to replicate some I'll be more than happy to share if the results are edible...

my Nona made a pasta pie that was sweet. We've never found the recipe (she never wrote stuff down - my Mom watched her make stuff and took notes.)
Maybe sugar, ricotta, whatever left over pasta, powdered sugar on top. It was very solid if not warmed - vs her tapioca or rice puddings.
ideas?

serviceguy

my Nona made a pasta pie that was sweet. We've never found the recipe (she never wrote stuff down - my Mom watched her make stuff and took notes.)
Maybe sugar, ricotta, whatever left over pasta, powdered sugar on top. It was very solid if not warmed - vs her tapioca or rice puddings.
ideas?
No idea but doesn’t sound much like anything I’ve ever eaten. Weird mix pasta leftovers and sugar...what part of Italy was she from?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
No idea but doesn’t sound much like anything I’ve ever eaten. Weird mix pasta leftovers and sugar...what part of Italy was she from?

well she was born in dover nj, family from Calabria region. Don't have anything more specific. Kinda like it was a secret.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Great stuff being discussed here. Maybe I should change the name of this thread to "Nona wannabe", or start a another thread. ... or maybe not, as I have trouble keeping up with this one. :rolleyes:

If you have not figured out yet, I am done racing. It kind of really hit me this past winter that I was done racing and I had already let it completely go. I think I was done a few years ago, but just had a hard time completely freeing myself from it. And yes, I do feel free now that I have let it go. It was a great thing for 25+ years, and I am happy for all the places racing took me, but I had enough. There is more to life than going fast or training. I love riding my bike and that is what is most important right now. Being in the middle of this pandemic reminds how lucky I am to be able to go out in the woods on my bike, and feel complete. Life is good.

root 1.jpg

snake.jpg

serviceguy

Maybe I should change the name of this thread to "Nona wannabe"
I think it’s fine as it is, but if you feel like it rename ‘Nonna wannabe’ or instead of ‘grandma’ you would be a ‘Ninth’ wannabe...

That’s a great rock/tree interaction pic. There’s a tree in a rock on double s that warranted a full photo shoot from the Ringwood Trail Crew during TM two weeks ago, it was pretty cool to watch.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I spotted a cormorant fishing in our pond. They are pretty cool the way they dive under water and pop back up. I did not see him actually catch any fish, but I have noticed fish in the pond. We also have some berries along the stream that attract many birds. Most of what I notice around the pond is green heron, and wood duck activity, which is common for this time of year. The blue heron activity could start picking up as they return from their nesting. There is always some activity out there, and it changes with the seasons.

I spent some time both trail building and riding in Ringwood this past week. The new stuff is coming along great, however I may miss some of the old sections. It is possible to have a nice section sandwiched between crap, and no way to correct the crap. So while we are moving ahead with our re-route, we will totally work our hardest to save what we can, as long as it can be made sustainable and fit in with context of the trail as a whole. So the old trail is still open and we may try to make a b line if we can. I actually love the challenge of staying within the rules and making a challenging and interesting trail. My saying is, never settle. In Ringwood, it is usually possible to find a great route because there is so much to work with.

IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I lost internet and cell phone on Tuesday night after the storm. We were lucky to get our power back after only a minute. I realize many may still be without power, which sucks. Apparently we have a double line in and if one goes out the other kicks in. All lines in our development are under ground, so we were on the lucky end this time with power. However, we do not have overlay with cell tower coverage, so when internet is out there is no communication ( including no text ) in my area. We could go a few miles away and get messages once a day, and it was a nice change to be communication device free for a few days.

We had three otter show up in our pond for a day. What a treat! Pond has been doing well with 2 newly added aerators. According to my neighbor, a large snapping turtle likes to swim through the bubbles like he or she is in a jacuzzi. Today 10 female wood ducks showed up. I guess the wildlife spa is officially open.

I have spent the past 4 days clearing trails in Ringwood and Sterling. Neither are done, but I needed a few days off. Trails in Ringwood State Park have been opened for use, but I do not know if Morris Rd or the lots have opened up. Check their website before you go.

I have had some awesome tomatoes. Not mine yet but local tomatoes are finally coming in. Enjoy!

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

serviceguy

I lost internet and cell phone on Tuesday night after the storm. We were lucky to get our power back after only a minute. I realize many may still be without power, which sucks. Apparently we have a double line in and if one goes out the other kicks in. All lines in our development are under ground, so we were on the lucky end this time with power. However, we do not have overlay with cell tower coverage, so when internet is out there is no communication ( including no text ) in my area. We could go a few miles away and get messages once a day, and it was a nice change to be communication device free for a few days.

We had three otter show up in our pond for a day. What a treat! Pond has been doing well with 2 newly added aerators. According to my neighbor, a large snapping turtle likes to swim through the bubbles like he or she is in a jacuzzi. Today 10 female wood ducks showed up. I guess the wildlife spa is officially open.

I have spent the past 4 days clearing trails in Ringwood and Sterling. Neither are done, but I needed a few days off. Trails in Ringwood State Park have been opened for use, but I do not know if Morris Rd or the lots have opened up. Check their website before you go.

I have had some awesome tomatoes. Not mine yet but local tomatoes are finally coming in. Enjoy!

View attachment 136707

View attachment 136708
Access to all lots was closed as of yesterday, even though we could not see any visible issue with access to any of them. Probably the park wants to make sure the trails are safe for the general public before re-opening?

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Yes, according park fb page and emails with park, Manor is open but Skylands and Shepherds lake sections are still closed. I believe Morris Rd is still blocked with trees and downed power lines. I have not heard a time frame to re-open any of that. Art and I have been clearing trails from Reyerson and our house. At this point, we are waiting for the park to open lots so that we can get closer to our work areas.

serviceguy

Yes, according park fb page and emails with park, Manor is open but Skylands and Shepherds lake sections are still closed. I believe Morris Rd is still blocked with trees and downed power lines. I have not heard a time frame to re-open any of that. Art and I have been clearing trails from Reyerson and our house. At this point, we are waiting for the park to open lots so that we can get closer to our work areas.

Can you get the park to give you access to the south gate instead (Cupsaw lake side)? There's no trees down from there to Shepherds or Skylands.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I lost a friend and teammate to cancer on Tuesday night. She fought hard right to the end. I am sad to say goodbye, but loved the time we had together. Below she is pictured with us in AZ a little over a year ago. She actually got on a bike a few time while out there, which was awesome to see. I am so happy that trip worked out for her, as I do not know how many more times she got on a mountain bike after that.

So, this week has had some sad moments, but in trying to keep my body active and mind occupied, I got up to the park with Art and took care of some more downed trees. Being physically active really helps relieve stress. I remember back when my dad passed away, I came home from days in the hospital, and all I wanted to do was go out into the woods. I guess we all heal in different ways. I feel much better today, and have great appreciation for the many things I can still do.

I hope to get back to trail building soon, as the park has opened back up. Be well!

IMG_5689.jpg

serviceguy

I lost a friend and teammate to cancer on Tuesday night. She fought hard right to the end. I am sad to say goodbye, but loved the time we had together. Below she is pictured with us in AZ a little over a year ago. She actually got on a bike a few time while out there, which was awesome to see. I am so happy that trip worked out for her, as I do not know how many more times she got on a mountain bike after that.

So, this week has had some sad moments, but in trying to keep my body active and mind occupied, I got up to the park with Art and took care of some more downed trees. Being physically active really helps relieve stress. I remember back when my dad passed away, I came home from days in the hospital, and all I wanted to do was go out into the woods. I guess we all heal in different ways. I feel much better today, and have great appreciation for the many things I can still do.

I hope to get back to trail building soon, as the park has opened back up. Be well!

View attachment 136959
Really sorry to hear that you lost a dear friend. So true, having a passion to go back to after a time of hardship is of great help, even better when the passion is something so awesome as enjoying the outdoors, and in your case to make possible for others to enjoy it even more.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As Jenny says Cancer Sucks, and I’m very sorry for your loss.
Riding in the woods has helped me cope with so many rough times in my life, we are lucky to have such a healthy passion.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I have really been loving these slightly cooler temps. I have been out riding and building in the woods. The second race course re-route is done. We have a few repairs up next.

Tiger swallow tails have been floating about for weeks both in the park and in my development, but yesterday, I saw the first monarch. They are all cool to watch float about on the wind. It is hard to believe that the monarchs will float all the way to Mexico. Truly amazing!

mushrooms.jpg

tiger.jpg

monarch.jpg

bee.jpg

bench1.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I have not travelled anywhere to ride since we drove back from AZ. Every ride has been at Sterling or Ringwood. It's not like I do not like to ride other places. I just have a hard time getting excited to travel to ride, when some of my favorite riding is right out my back door. I have seen multiple posts of people traveling to Vermont, and while the riding looks enticing, I just have not been able to justify travel, cost and quarantine for good to okay riding. That being said, I was in need of a change of scenery. A friend invited me up to Jockey Hill for a day trip, so I jumped on it. I had ridden there about 10 years ago, but since then many more trails have been added and some of them professionally built. The locals have their opinions about the machine built trails that may be less technical, but for the people that drive all the way up to Kingdom trails or Kady Hill, this place is nice change being this close to home. It was a fun day in the woods. My favorite part was the smell. Pine and Hemlock in many areas created that nice pine scent I do not get on my home trails. The texture was a bit different too with all the small rock and slate.

jockey hill.jpg
TV.jpg

kill TV.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I would like to thank Pat for sending me this chiatarra pasta maker. I am looking forward to giving this a try. Things like this remind me how great our mountain bike community is here in New Jersey. Thank you Pat!

chiatarra.jpg

leo rock.jpg

As you can see, my last batch of ravioli is looking better.

raviolli.jpg

onetracker

I have not travelled anywhere to ride since we drove back from AZ. Every ride has been at Sterling or Ringwood. It's not like I do not like to ride other places. I just have a hard time getting excited to travel to ride, when some of my favorite riding is right out my back door. I have seen multiple posts of people traveling to Vermont, and while the riding looks enticing, I just have not been able to justify travel, cost and quarantine for good to okay riding. That being said, I was in need of a change of scenery. A friend invited me up to Jockey Hill for a day trip, so I jumped on it. I had ridden there about 10 years ago, but since then many more trails have been added and some of them professionally built. The locals have their opinions about the machine built trails that may be less technical, but for the people that drive all the way up to Kingdom trails or Kady Hill, this place is nice change being this close to home. It was a fun day in the woods. My favorite part was the smell. Pine and Hemlock in many areas created that nice pine scent I do not get on my home trails. The texture was a bit different too with all the small rock and slate.

View attachment 137879View attachment 137880
View attachment 137881
Cool! I went to Jockey Hill years ago with friends who knew it very well. Back then the map was super top secret. I see that there is a public map now available. Hard to find your way around? Anything blazed (back years ago I do not remember seeing any blazes)? Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Top Bottom