Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Do you mind if @MissJR posts the Dirty Thursday on the events calendar or if I post the links to the Trail Crew's posts on Facebook here on the Ringwood State Park thread? Both could catch some good soul willing to help...
No I do not mind. Please feel free to spread the word. Volunteers are welcome as long as they follow social distance/ mask guidelines. Usually we all spread out when working, so it can be safe if everyone follows guidelines. It is great to see people out wanting to help!

Last edited:

JDurk

Yes, initially I was wowed but then they started blasting things...a little too much. Could use the budget though...
I read your comment about blasting and had to go watch, fast forwarding to the opening of the explosives box and paused it. Small world, I know the guy who makes the shot bags and the explosive manufacturer is a customer of ours.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I finally got back out to work on the trails after a few days with my back out. It was a short work session, but I figured it was better to quit early than put my back out again. So far, the back has been fine. ... Yay!!

Today rain and boy do we need it. This should really help trail conditions in a few days. Here are some pictures from the last few weeks in my yard and on the trail. On the pond are a green heron, wood ducks and turtles. Hanging out by the pond is always a treat.

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

green.jpg

wood.jpg

turtles.jpg

lilly.jpg

fungus.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I have been inspired by pictures on FB of people baking bread during lockdown. I was unable to find any yeast in stores or online until a few weeks ago, so now I am diving in hands first. I have always been intimidated by the yeast baking process. I did some research and kept coming up with 00 flour is great for pizza dough. So many recipes called for mixers, but I really wanted to get my hands into the dough (speaking in baking terms, not accounting). I went with a hand knead recipe.

Attempt #1: I read the recipe over and over and kept double checking to make sure I did not screw up. I probably looked like I was procrastinating, but I had no confidence on my first attempt. the dough was a tad sticky but I was afraid to over knead too much flour in. I'll admit I was a tad stressed and during the second rest, I retreated to the patio to have a glass of wine and relax. When I came back, Art had already attempted to hand shape, top and bake the pizza. The shape was not great, but he managed to transfer the sticky pie without dumping on the floor or the bottom of the oven. The pie was good, but not great. I am not sure if it was the 00 flour, the fact that it was slightly underdone, or the fact that the dough was sticky (not enough flour ?).

Attempt #2: This time I used standard flour and felt free to add extra flour if needed. I was much more confident and kneaded away as long as I felt it took to make it smooth. Art wanted to help, so I suggested he rolled the dough instead of hand shaping and it got quite thin. It never got elastic. The transfer went fine with plenty of cornmeal. It came out pretty good and the crust was just crispy enough. I can not believe how easy it is to make your own dough.

Tonight I plan to try flatbread. Pictures to follow.

ingredients.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Looks wonderful!

Cooking on a stone, screen. or right on the rack?

Remember this can be done on the grill too!!!!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Looks wonderful!

Cooking on a stone, screen. or right on the rack?

Remember this can be done on the grill too!!!!
We have a cast iron pizza pan. It works really well. We have used the grill a few times, but our grill almost runs too hot ( 600 degrees on low ).

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Monday Art and I did a shuttle from Skyline Dr to home to scope some deadfall reports. It is a major deal for Art to get into that stretch of trail with a chainsaw, and he really needs to know how big of a saw is needed. The electric saw is awesome on medium stuff, but anything large needs the big gas saw. People are nice enough to report trees down, but most the time they do not know what diameter or saw is needed or the exact location. We have learned to do a dry run with hand saw and hope we do not need more. In the past, shuttle was a breeze for me, but these days I struggle. I guess I am not in as good shape and I am getting older. Maybe the trail is getting boney too. More likely I am a little out of tech handling shape too. ? Needless to say, it wiped me out. Luckily we got most stuff out with a hand saw, Art's creativity and his skinny guy power. So, we will not be returning with a chainsaw any time soon.

After a good nights sleep, I felt revived enough to do some trail work today. I completely forgot to take pictures, but race course work is under way. If you are out riding, you will see the Jorba work signs and notice some changes. The section we are working on now is getting some grade reversals added to shed water.

One of 5 trees hand cut or moved off trail on our shuttle run:
log cut.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
This weeks cooking adventure: Home made Ravioli.

I do not have a pasta machine to roll the dough real thin, so they were very al dente . Home made ravioli is always good because the fillings are so fresh and have no fillers. I used an egg, ricotta, imported parmesan, fresh parsley, s&p and a touch of nutmeg. When I was in my first apartment in the early 80's I had an Italian neighbor that cooked everything from scratch. She gave me the filling recipe. I still use it today.

The ravioli were a bit misshapen, as I was not quite sure how I would make them. It was a bit of an experiment. I will need to dial in best shape, how much filling and best sealing technique. The recipes were all over the place on how to do that stuff. Hopefully I will figure out a solid recipe and get better next time.

ravioli 2.jpg

ravioli before.jpg

ravioli 1.jpg

serviceguy

try with a Ravioli Wheel , that's how remember doing them as a kid at my grandma's. Lay the first sheet of pasta dough on a cutting board, place small amount of filling at the center of each square of an imaginary checker board over the sheet of pasta, cover with second sheet of pasta (or fold the first one over the filling), lightly press down the pasta so the two layers touch each other around the filling and then use the ravioli wheel in a matrix applying enough pressure to both make the two sheets of pasta stick to each other and cut the edges of each ravioli/squares. sprinkle with loose flour. This allows you not to waste any dough.

img_1218.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
try with a Ravioli Wheel , that's how remember doing them as a kid at my grandma's. Lay the first sheet of pasta dough on a cutting board, place small amount of filling at the center of each square of an imaginary checker board over the sheet of pasta, cover with second sheet of pasta (or fold the first one over the filling), lightly press down the pasta so the two layers touch each other around the filling and then use the ravioli wheel in a matrix applying enough pressure to both make the two sheets of pasta stick to each other and cut the edges of each ravioli/squares. sprinkle with loose flour. This allows you not to waste any dough.

View attachment 135275
You must have read my mind. I ordered wheel the next day and it just came a few days ago. I will use it next time. I still may look into a hand crank pasta machine to get the dough thin. Did your grandma use one or did she roll with rolling pin?

serviceguy

You must have read my mind. I ordered wheel the next day and it just came a few days ago. I will use it next time. I still may look into a hand crank pasta machine to get the dough thin. Did your grandma use one or did she roll with rolling pin?
Grandma used the rolling pin and had a huge wood board that Granpa haD built specifically to mount over the kitchen table without any noticeable play, my mom had the rolling machine but she never really liked it. It looked like this and the issue was that she couldn’t get the only clamp that came with it to hold in place firmly. I do think that if you get used to it the rolling pin It would work better for a plain sheet of pasta, while the machine is very versatile as it can make all sort of ‘long’ pasta. It can be a problem with ‘thick’ (as in dense) dough as it may get the crank really hard to turn... ah, the memories! Next time we can discuss ‘pasta alla chitarra‘ making, which involves dough and a metal strings contraption...

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Would love to hear more stories Leo. I will give the rolling pin another try to get thinner.

I would also accept a hand off, Patrick, if you can find yours. Thank you.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Continuing with cooking: Last night I stuffed squash blossoms again. I have a squash plant in a pot at my condo and it is producing many males blooms right now. I can probably make these every few days. I have had some success storing them in a berry container for a day. I have been putting a small piece of rolled paper towel in the center to keep them from welding shut.

Last night was Friday so we did pizza again and this time with 3/4 bread flour, 1/4 regular flour and a tad of cornmeal. It came out really good. A little bit more bite to the crust, yet very thin.

blossoms.jpg

fry.jpg

Top Bottom