Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
@pixychick , were you on the trail this afternoon around 6:30/7:00 pm?I think I saw you crossing the road out of Shepherd’s pond. I was walking back home after spending the afternoon on the lake with my wife.
No not me, but great to hear you were out today. They actually got enough life guards to open swimming at the lake. ... yay!

serviceguy

No not me, but great to hear you were out today. They actually got enough life guards to open swimming at the lake. ... yay!
Someone started using the new trail then...Yes, they had lifeguards on site. Need to go kayaking one of these days.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Someone started using the new trail then...Yes, they had lifeguards on site. Need to go kayaking one of these days.
Yes many people are using the new trail even though it is not done. Hoping that if people ride it and want it done. they will come out to work.

We have added 2 more Saturdays to the work schedule: August 17 and 31. Perhaps swimming afterwards as an option.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
After me over doing it last Thursday and Art over doing it Monday, we both needed a few days off. But we finally got back up to the work site today. First off, the new handles work great! Thanks @serviceguy . And we got the next turn capped with clay. We have started a closer dirt pit that should yield for the next turn. This should make dirt hauling much easier with a short commute and padded bucket handles. The next turn is very close to a drainage area, so we are going to need a shit ton of rocks moved in to raise it up. Hoping for volunteer help tomorrow or Saturday the 17th. We are getting really close to the top, but unfortunately there are a few rock intensive sections yet to complete.

turn.jpg

handels.jpg

serviceguy

Glad to help in any way I can. I see there's a scheduled session on 8/15, I maybe able to join you guys that day since I'm taking that day off for a doctor appointment. I'll be there for the weekend sessions, hopefully some oozers will join as well given the prospect of a kayak outing...

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I have not been able to work or be at the work site for 5 days, so no pictures today. I have been struggling with my back and although I rode my bike over the weekend, it was quite painful and limited. I have found that hanging in the pool long enough to feel cold, has helped a tad. Today I was finally starting to feel better, but I may lay off trail work for the rest of the week. I may start installing trail markers as soon as I feel good enough to hike and swing a hammer.

Last Friday I attended a Multi-use Trail Chat at the Sterling visitor center. It was hosted by REI and managed by the NYNJTC (former hiker only group). The NYNJTC has recently reworded it's mission statement from "hiking" to "trails" in efforts to include bikes. Part of this change in policy has resulted in the new loop at Sterling being built. For those that do not know it is being funded by grants through the TC, and this is their first time being involved in building Muti-Use trails.

Several weeks before, Art ran into some angry older hikers in RW. They were dragging branches out on to the trail and when Art tried to talk with them, they got all fired up and one took off his pack ready to fight. Art politely got out of their way and wished them a good day. So on the heels of that incident, I was expecting this chat to be a complaining session for angry hikers. I know there still are a few hikers that are still very anti bike and speak out about it. There was a survey included with the invite, but It did not specify who was getting the survey. Art and I have been involved with some of these talks at Sterling 15 years ago, and hikers were very anti-bike, to the point of ranting and threatening to sue the state. The meetings were quite discouraging, and I was almost dreading going to another uncomfortable rant session, but I knew that I had to go because land management was going to be there and I wanted to make sure there was no inaccurate anti bike talk.

Much to my surprise, the room was filled with leaders from many bike advocacy groups, stake holders like bike shop owners, trail builders, DEC, state and county mangers. There were a few members of the hiking group there as well, but attendants were mostly multi-use involved and land management involved. The overall feel of the entire feedback session from opening words to casual hike afterwards was very inclusive. A few powerful comments from the survey went up on the powerpoint, and one was mine. I think many others learned a ton of new stuff, especially with understanding land management. Building good working relationships is so important! I am thankful that in Ringwood we had the opportunity to develope that right from the start. And by the way, it can end at any time if your land manger changes, so you must always work to keep that relationship with changing management.

My take away: looking around the room, most people are finally looking younger than me, which means things are in good hands. Super thankful for people like Vitti who will never give up. 15 years of being closed out, now they are coming to us, so although there still are some haters in the house, there is hope that we can work together and protect our trail experiences.

serviceguy

I have not been able to work or be at the work site for 5 days, so no pictures today. I have been struggling with my back and although I rode my bike over the weekend, it was quite painful and limited. I have found that hanging in the pool long enough to feel cold, has helped a tad. Today I was finally starting to feel better, but I may lay off trail work for the rest of the week. I may start installing trail markers as soon as I feel good enough to hike and swing a hammer.

Last Friday I attended a Multi-use Trail Chat at the Sterling visitor center. It was hosted by REI and managed by the NYNJTC (former hiker only group). The NYNJTC has recently reworded it's mission statement from "hiking" to "trails" in efforts to include bikes. Part of this change in policy has resulted in the new loop at Sterling being built. For those that do not know it is being funded by grants through the TC, and this is their first time being involved in building Muti-Use trails.

Several weeks before, Art ran into some angry older hikers in RW. They were dragging branches out on to the trail and when Art tried to talk with them, they got all fired up and one took off his pack ready to fight. Art politely got out of their way and wished them a good day. So on the heels of that incident, I was expecting this chat to be a complaining session for angry hikers. I know there still are a few hikers that are still very anti bike and speak out about it. There was a survey included with the invite, but It did not specify who was getting the survey. Art and I have been involved with some of these talks at Sterling 15 years ago, and hikers were very anti-bike, to the point of ranting and threatening to sue the state. The meetings were quite discouraging, and I was almost dreading going to another uncomfortable rant session, but I knew that I had to go because land management was going to be there and I wanted to make sure there was no inaccurate anti bike talk.

Much to my surprise, the room was filled with leaders from many bike advocacy groups, stake holders like bike shop owners, trail builders, DEC, state and county mangers. There were a few members of the hiking group there as well, but attendants were mostly multi-use involved and land management involved. The overall feel of the entire feedback session from opening words to casual hike afterwards was very inclusive. A few powerful comments from the survey went up on the powerpoint, and one was mine. I think many others learned a ton of new stuff, especially with understanding land management. Building good working relationships is so important! I am thankful that in Ringwood we had the opportunity to develope that right from the start. And by the way, it can end at any time if your land manger changes, so you must always work to keep that relationship with changing management.

My take away: looking around the room, most people are finally looking younger than me, which means things are in good hands. Super thankful for people like Vitti who will never give up. 15 years of being closed out, now they are coming to us, so although there still are some haters in the house, there is hope that we can work together and protect our trail experiences.

Sorry to hear about your back and glad that thinks are looking up in terms of relationship with other users of the trail system. I have been lucky so far and the few hikers that I've met were actually nice with me, even though I have to admit I always initiated the courtesy giving them the right of way.

Is tomorrow's TM session still happening ? I maybe able to be back to Ringwood by 3:30pm which would give me time to attend, or join a little bit later.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Sorry to hear about your back and glad that thinks are looking up in terms of relationship with other users of the trail system. I have been lucky so far and the few hikers that I've met were actually nice with me, even though I have to admit I always initiated the courtesy giving them the right of way.

Is tomorrow's TM session still happening ? I maybe able to be back to Ringwood by 3:30pm which would give me time to attend, or join a little bit later.

Yes, still on for tomorrow. We try to get started by 3ish, so just head to worksite on upper section just below shepherds pond Rd whenever you can.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
After 4 days off the bike, one week off trail work, and a very painful 30 minute massage, my back is finally feeling like it is on the mend. I was able to ride Sterling today and yesterday I started putting up trail markers on the new sections of Crossover Trail. I will still need another complete day doing markers. Art and Service Guy worked yesterday and are now up to the second to last turn. The entrance off the road will need some work as well. So getting close. Hopefully we will get some volunteers tomorrow.

This weekend is the 50 year anniversary of Woodstock. I was 11 years old then and Art was 14.5, so neither of us went, but I do remember others that went. Been listening to the music all week and watched the documentary. So, I have been reliving it a bit. Perhaps tonight we will play Richie Havens until the bands get here ;).

I hate to say it but leaves are already falling. The summer does fly by. The first family of wood ducks are flying, There seem to be 3 females and mom hanging around waiting for courting season. Watching the pond connects me with the seasons as does getting out in the woods.

markers.jpg

;)
almost done.jpg

leaves.jpg

serviceguy

Unfortunately the leaves falling appear to be due to black spot, not just changing of season which is most certainly upon us. One of the trees in my front yard lost some leaves to it, and just found a second one starting to shed some leaves as well. It’s those spots on the leaves in your picture. I’m trying to grab my neighbor who’s also the local tree surgeon and pick his brain on what to do about it.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Saturday we had a good turnout for trail build, and got much done. The last two turns are complete and there is about 100 feet to go to get up to the road crossing. Art and I are real pleased and it is looking like we will get this trail complete in the next few weeks. Today I completed the markers on the interior sections of trail. When the trail is done, I will mark both entrances to make it official. The park has some good rocks for us and we are arranging to have them placed on the pipeline to help buttress the side of the trail.
The sidehill is quite steep there and we do not feel comfortable benching over a gas pipe that is under several thousand pounds of pressure. We will build up instead.

Boy was it humid today in the woods! We both totally soaked through with our clothes with sweat within minutes of working. I have a hard time seeing because my glasses steam up. Yesterday was humid as well. On my ride in Ringwood I saw a box turtle and a rattlesnake. Both nearly ran over because my glasses were fogged.

No work this Thursday as we are taking a week off. We will be back on the 29th.

sweaty.jpg

turn 3.jpg

turtle.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I had a great ride with friends old and new at Sterling today to celebrate another year. Sterling never disappoints.

Things got real busy the last few days. Art is installing a new vanity in our bath. The plumber showed up this morning to move the pipes, so Art missed the ride. Vanity is now in place and we are waiting for top fabrication. I will try to get some pictures since it is bathroom remodeling! ;)

The park plans to deliver rocks to the work site tomorrow, so we will have a few busy days. Hope to see some of you at Cranks!

bday ride.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Not only did the park donate some rocks, they placed them for us! That saved us a few weeks of work. RSP is there to help when they can.

After cranks I am headed to VT for a few days to visit my brother. See you next Thursday!

before pipe.jpg

mid pipe.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I just got back from a few days in Vermont. I went to visit my brother who is a trail builder as well. He works for The Fellowship of the Wheel, and is currently working at Sleepy Hollow XC Ski area in Hinesburg building mountain bike trails. It is always refreshing to ride somewhere new. It was great to see my brother and spend a few days with him. We also went up to Stowe one day to ride the machine made trails. Some Vermonters turn their noses up at those type of trails, but with having great technical trails in NJ, I really enjoy something different. Kady Hill has some amazing flow trails. They are built on top, not just cut in, and many of the berms have drains. From a trail building point of view, they are impressive. Also very fun!! The trails in the valley by my brother are very steep, and to be honest, I am getting sick of riding old school trails. Even my brother does not ride much anymore. It was a nice break, but we will be back to working at Ringwood tomorrow.

Sunday Nature Jim passed away. If you did not know him, he was responsible for building some of the trails at Wawayanda. He also was an awesome guy, full of life, riding his bike, XC skiing, singing at parties and making friends where ever he went. I have many fond memories from adventures we shared. he will be missed. RIP Jim.

sunflower.jpg

sleepy hollow.jpg

warren falls.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Last Saturday we had a good volunteer turnout and completed the Crossover Trail re-route. I am stoked to be done and to have this trail available for the festival. I rode it all this morning after the rain and the tight turn before the road crossing rode perfectly and slowed me down which it is what it is supposed to do. This whole project has been a long haul: 3 years on this lower section and 3-4 years on the upper section up to Pierson Ridge. It feels great to be done. It is also satisfying to get possitive feedback from so many people of varying abilities. While we were aiming for a less demanding section of trail on this final section, we tried to add some flow fun for all. This whole section of the park below shepherds Pond Rd is a drainage slope full of invasive plants. It is not ideal or prime in any way, but I really feel like we made some lemonade out of it. I hope everyone enjoys!

I can not believe the summer has whizzed by and labor day has already passed. Time does fly.

buzz.jpg

woaaa.jpg

topped.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
As promised, more bathroom remodeling !! Here are some progress pictures with our new vanity. Our old vanity was a half vanity with an area for seating. The faucets were almost impossible to turn and the spout was so low and short that it was hard to get your hands underneath. This is not our main sink but the extra sink just outside of the bath. Not quite sure why we have two, but I suppose it will be nice once more functional. When Art put the wood floor in, he removed the bottom part so that he could lay floor underneath. It has been held up on little posts for a few years. Also the mirror that was glued to the wall was getting spotty like an antique mirror. So time to re do all.

Art made a new vanity with inset doors in a face frame. He built the box and ordered the unfinished doors and face frames and finished drawers from his old supplier. Then put it all together, painted and installed. The vanity is an inch or so lower because we have a vessel sink (not yet installed). I'll post more pictures when complete.

new vanity with new top.
mid.jpg

old vanity
before.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
The finish work is done on the last section of re-route and tools have been pulled out and stored for the season. It feels good to finally be done with this. The original section that went straight down to the road has been re-vegitated, so I may need to water those plants a few times. If you want to help and have extra water when riding by, they are the ferns to the left of the Jorba trail building sign in the picture below.

I wish I could say that we will be doing tons of riding now, but I am not sure if that will happen. There is some family stuff to tend to and only a few months left before we head back to AZ. I did manage to get up to Jungle today and ride with Dar and Marianne. I had not ridden there in several years and I was thinking that I might be overwhelmed with all the rocks and rough stuff. To my surprise, I did pretty good and it was quite awesome!

reveg.jpg

maintyard.jpg

moms tart.jpg

Top Bottom