Mountain Biking in Maryland

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Anybody ever ridden MTB in Maryland? Specifically, west Baltimore area...like maybe Patapsco Valley State Park?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
yes, many times. What do you need to know?

If you want a guide let me know, it's about an hour from me...

I'm basically wondering if the riding in the Columbia/Ellicott City area is any good.

Are there a lot of trails? Technical? Single Track? Is it lame? What NJ parks are most like the riding in that area?

You know, if say, a mountain biker were to move there would they be happy with the local stuff or disappointed?

Thanks.
Tim

Glancing Aft

I'd say a mountain biker can be very happy living in that area. Within a 10 min drive of Baltimore is Patapsco which has upwards to 30 miles of trails in it. Very fast flowy single track, not very technical but great for a workout and really fun! As far as comparing it to NJ places I'd say very large Hartshorne would be a good comparison.
Here's a video clip from there to show you some of what the terrain is like
http://www.vimeo.com/1855401
and a motionbased log http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6765183

Also very close by you have Loch Raiven which is similar to Patapsco with slightly more climbing and for weekend trips you have Fair Hill, White Clay, and Michaux, all awesome places in their own respect.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Everything I've seen and read leads me to believe that Maryland & Delaware offer quite a bit of cool riding in a fairly small area.

Strong CX scene down there as well.

mfennell

Potapsco is pretty awesome. It's kind of like a wide open, smoother version of Hartshorne. Last time I was in Baltimore, I showed up a couple nights in a row just past 5pm and caught up with locals for rides. There's a wide shoulder across the street from a park n ride on (IIRC) River Road off of 195 that people start their rides from.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks guys.

It would stand to reason that Maryland is smooth & fast now that I finally broke myself of my Oregon habits and got to where I could ride rock gardens effectively.:D

BiknBen

Thanks guys.

It would stand to reason that Maryland is smooth & fast now that I finally broke myself of my Oregon habits and got to where I could ride rock gardens effectively.:D

Do I smell a hint of relocation?

Remember, you are dead to me as soon as you cross the NJ border. ;)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Do I smell a hint of relocation?

Remember, you are dead to me as soon as you cross the NJ border. ;)

You do..a long way from a done deal, though. My time with my current company is just 'bout over and I'm investigating an opportunity that was presented to me.

trener1

I rode at Patapsco one time while I was visiting loads of fun.
If you want rocks check out Gambril State Park / Frederick Watershed, maybe 45 minutes or so from Baltimore and all the rocks that you will ever need :getsome:

lmckee

Also very close by you have Loch Raiven which is similar to Patapsco with slightly more climbing and for weekend trips you have Fair Hill, White Clay, and Michaux, all awesome places in their own respect.

Have you ridden Loch Raven? I've been really meaning to check it out because I work in Baltimore and it would be fairly easy for me to hit on my way home.

trener1

I have never been to Loch Raven, but I stopped at Joes bikes in Mt. Washington and they gave me all of the details on Loch Raven I just didn't end up going there.

Top Bottom