Mountain Bike Camp for Kids - Summer 2017

SpartaBard

Are you still looking for something for your kids to do this summer? If so you may want to consider sending them to mountain bike camp. The camp is run out of the Morristown-Beard School by myself @SpartaBard and @Robin . We travel to parks anywhere within an hour of Morristown. Here is the link. If you are interested and have questions feel free to touch base with either of us.

We run two different camps:

Beginner Mountain Bike Camp (Ages 9-14):
Two weekly sessions, weeks of
  • 6/26-6/30
  • 7/3-7/7
With an emphasis on Mountain Biking, this camp for boys and girls ages 9 and up offers attentive instruction and a low camper-to-counselor ratio. Riders of all abilities will learn the basics of mountain biking and safety while making new friends and exploring great trails. Campers should have some experience riding a geared bicycle. We will introduce trail etiquette and bike maintenance and basic trail riding skills to the campers. We will be riding approximately 8-10 miles each day.

Regular Mountain Bike Camp (Ages 10-14):
Four weekly sessions, weeks of
  • 7/10-7/14
  • 7/17-7/21
  • 7/24-7/28
  • 7/31-8/4
With an emphasis on Mountain Biking, this camp for boys and girls ages 10-14, will include riding approximately 10-15 miles each day at challenging off-road locations. The pace and activities will be based upon the skill level of the riders. Campers should have some experience at riding a Mountain Bike but are also looking to improve their overall handling skills, trail etiquette, bike maintenance and trail riding skills.

We typically go to the following parks and mix in a few others:
Lewis Morris County Park/Patriots Path
Six Mile Reservoir Site
Allaire State Park
Kittatinny Valley State Park
Hartshorne County Park
Nockamixon SP
Allamuchy SP - Deer Park

A typical day starts off by meeting at the school, throwing the kids in a bus and the bikes in a van and traveling to a park. We ride around/practice skills for the morning, eat lunch and ride around in the afternoon.

If anyone has any interest or any questions please feel free to reach out to the two of us: @SpartaBard and @Robin

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The boy turnz 9 in mid July..... is the first beginning sesh ok?
Just got him a new bike. Moved from a 20 to 24.
Sweet ride for the boy......
IMG_7658.JPG

He's still uber beginner though.
@Robin @SpartaBard

Last edited:

SpartaBard

The boy turnz 9 in mid July..... is the first beginning sesh ok?
Just got him a new bike. Moved from a 20 to 24.
Sweet ride for the boy......
View attachment 51360
He's still uber beginner though.
@Robin @SpartaBard

Yeah, he will likely be fine. My son will be in the camp for the first time this summer. He turned 9 back in February and has been riding a 24" bike since last summer. Try to get him out onto a real trail a few times though before the summer.

SpartaBard

This is a great program for kids. Soundz like a training camp for future NICA success.

Absolutely, although our focus is definitely not training to race we have a few campers who are involved with NICA this year. @Robin is also a NICA coach.

ilnadi

My son did it at 10 last year. the change in his riding after 2 weeks was amazing. Robin & Brad do an amazing job. He'll be going back this year although driving to Morris town twice at rush hour is a pain, but worth it.

hey @Robin & @SpartaBard, do you think the mbs could handle a "bring your parents along" day? I think it would be really fun.

SpartaBard

My son did it at 10 last year. the change in his riding after 2 weeks was amazing. Robin & Brad do an amazing job. He'll be going back this year although driving to Morris town twice at rush hour is a pain, but worth it.

hey @Robin & @SpartaBard, do you think the mbs could handle a "bring your parents along" day? I think it would be really fun.

Absolutely, we usually have a parent or two join us at some point in the summer

Pampa

@SpartaBard @Robin Hi. Where do we signup? I can see the info about the camp on the page but not a place to signup for it. My two younger ones (12 & 13) are excited about this. Thanks!

SpartaBard

@SpartaBard @Robin Hi. Where do we signup? I can see the info about the camp on the page but not a place to signup for it. My two younger ones (12 & 13) are excited about this. Thanks!
In the top right hand corner you click on Family Login - Create an account which will allow you to register for camps.
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 9.24.56 AM.png

Top Bottom