• No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
R

Remes

Over all opinion of motobecane bikes?

And any shops you know of who carry their products

The Kalmyk

I think Motobecane has a bad rep...They were built in France at one point (road bikes only:hmmm:) but the fact that they sold their name doesn't sit well in the head of some cyclist...IMO there is nothing wrong with Motobecane...They are prolly built by one of the bigger companies like Merrida or Giant...If this is the case, so the frijoles what...My opinion is go for it and enjoy the ride

J-Dro

From Wikipedia,

Motobecane USA assembles bicycles consisting of Kinesis Industry Co. Ltd. or Alu-Mate Material Ind Co., Ltd. frames, both manufactured in Taiwan, and has no relationship to the long-time French bicycle industry manufacturer, Motobécane. The bicycles are sold exclusively by the Cycle Spectrum and BikesDirect.com chains, along witheBay merchants.
Other bicycle brands associated with this group include Dawes USA, Windsor America, Cycles Mercier, and Bottecchia USA.

You will not find this brand at any LBS.

It sounds like you are relatively new to mountain biking. So you probably won't be able to fix and adjust everything by yourself. You WILL need the assistance of an LBS sooner rather then later. The time you spend on the bike will be much more enjoyable when everything is running in tip-top condition. Go with the LBS that you feel most comfortable with.

Sircrashalot

Remes...you now have three separate threads goin on where you are asking people what to do to find the right bike. In all three, the overwhelming response is to go to your LBS and ride a mess of them to find what feels right. These replies are coming from people who ride casually, race, work in or own shops, but most importantly from people who have multiple bikes in their quiver, know the sport, and have been where you are right now.
Nobody on here is going to say that the best way to get the best bike & fit is to mail order it, because it's not. If you are set on doing that, go for it.

If you are for real & want the best bike for you, then pay some attention to all of the experienced riders on this site who are very kindly trying to pound the importance of riding before you buy through your head. We are not on the payroll of the local bike shops.

You MAY order a motobecane & love it. If you go to your local shop, and ride a bunch of bikes, get fit to one & then buy it, you WILL love it. Period.

R

Remes

I realize that, im just trying to get peoples opinions, I have gone to the bike shops, I have their opinions, going to ride some bikes tomrrow. Just in a big mental debate about it, trying to choose, and appreciateing everyones feedback very much

Last edited by a moderator:

al415

Banned
I think you've had feedback from just about anyone that has any thoughts on the subject. I spent a little while searching for bikes in your budget and posted a link in your other thread to a Cannondale. If it were my money that is what I would buy (assuming I was looking for a GEARED bike). You added the stipulation of a 100mm fork so I did some more research and suggested a Specialzied built around such a fork. I've owned bikes from both those companies and never been let down by either. You keep coming back to the Motobacane so perhaps you have already made your mind up and just want affirmation. Like I already said, if I was spending my own money I'd buy the American made Cannondale and upgrade parts as they wore out. If you are as unconcerned with having a good rapport with a bicycle shop as you said in your other thread, buy the Motobacane.

Sircrashalot

I realize that, im just trying to get peoples opinions, I have gone to the bike shops, I have their opinions, going to ride some bikes tomrrow. Just in a big mental debate about it, trying to choose, and appreciateing everyones feedback very much

Its tough when you have a limit on the $$, and see something online that seems to be untouchable locally. Understandably very very tempting. The bike is way more than the sum of its parts though, and feel/comfort is everything. Check out the Halters Cycles site...they are big on that the fit is way more important than the bike itself.

I dont know what BD's return policy is. I spose if you are that solidly on the fence you could always buy the Motobecane, build it, take it to an LBS and ride it mixed in with some others to see how it feels in a direct comparison, then if its not the winner tear it down & send it back? A lot of work, but the only way you get to give it a fair comparo- unless you can find someone on here who might have one in your size & would let you take it for a spin?

R

Remes

just a deal online. think im gonna stay away from it tho from all you guys advise. leaning towards a kona cinder cone now

Top Bottom